You can start posting broken games 😉

Reply 1 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣

My computer won't even upgrade.

The update spits out a message about there being a driver or service that is not compatible and that it will offer the update again once it is resolved.

Only problem is that nowhere does it specify what driver or service is the problem.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:
LOL […]
Show full quote

🤣

My computer won't even upgrade.

The update spits out a message about there being a driver or service that is not compatible and that it will offer the update again once it is resolved.

Only problem is that nowhere does it specify what driver or service is the problem.

Have you checked the windows update logs?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

Have you checked the windows update logs?

Nope, not yet. Was busy with other stuff last night.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Windows Updates logs were of no help so I just googled the error I was having and found this page:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/f … db-21c78dccfff9

The solution was this:
"You have to delete the BattlEye folder from C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\

Now it will most likely work."

And it is now installing.

How dumb is that?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 10, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I updated. It was a pretty painless update (except for Windows, like macOS thinking making your computer inoperable for half an hour during updates is OK).

After updating I had to:

1. Downgrade my sound card driver, since 1903 included one that made the entire system slow down to a crawl whenever I adjusted volume.
  2. Upgrade my Nvidia driver, since the one I had suddenly wanted a CPU core to itself.
  3. Disable Windows Search service again.
  4. Disable Windows Defender's new and annoying tamper protection that made it run despite me having disabled it.
  5. redo HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Serialize tweak (the one that makes Windows not delay startup programs by 10 seconds).
  6. Install OldNewExplorer to disable the File Explorer ribbon, RibbonDisabler is broken now (and I don't think it's possible to edit explorerframe.dll any longer either).
  7. Tell 7+ Taskbar Tweaker to not bother me about using an unsupported version. The beta version works, it will just bug you about it. If you can't donate to get the beta version, the public version doesn't support 1903 yet.
  8. Say OK to Classic Start Menu reconfiguring itself.
  9. Disable "Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode" again.
  10. Redo HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics tweaks. I really should script this to be done at logout and login since Windows likes changing them randomly anyway.
  11. Reduce cursor size. There's some new options. The default seems to be make the mouse cursor slightly larger.

Mostly things I had to do because of running unsupported hacks, but 1 is pretty bad. Shipping a broken driver. That might be on Creative though.

Reply 8 of 10, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Arrrrgh...... 😠 WHPX is broken in QEMU, so that implies the Android devs community will scream out loud 😠 😠 😠 !!!
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/c … d-emulator.html

It is fixed in the Insider Build after 18890 for Android Emulator, but not everyone is willing to opt-in to be free beta testers for Microsoft. WHPX support for QEMU was contributed by Microsoft, and the source files still bear the Copyright for Microsoft. Unfortunately, sigh.... QEMU is now a 2nd-class citizen on Windows, again....

Stick with 1809 if QEMU performance on Windows is important. Otherwise, dump Windows and say Hello to Linux where QEMU KVM is always a 1st-class citizen.

Update: Appear to affect AMD CPU system only both FX and Ryzen series.

Reply 10 of 10, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My desktop has updates without problems. The only problem was the video driver (nvidia 1050), that GeForce Experience didn't detect as one of their drivers. I made a "clean" installation of the latest drivers and everything worked. BTW, I also found that my motherboard (Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3) had received lot of upgrades like new BIOS and most drivers were listed as "1903" compatible, so I upgraded/downgraded every driver to that versions.

My HP mini laptop was a PITA, as usual. It has a 32Gb eMMC, so it couldn't upgrade even having a 64Gb USB stick connected. The worst thing was that it downloaded the upgrade, locked in the blue "installing" screens for an hour an then rebooted... to the same old version.

So I used my Windows 1903 USB stick (every time I upgrade the OS I make two USBs, one with the Media Creation Tool and another with the OS recovery) and it upgraded... but the touchpad started working. It happens every time I upgrade it: the touchpad is connected to some kind of I2C device and windows install their own drivers. The wrong driver is listed as Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor Serial IO (SIO) - I2C Port - 0F41 (hardware ID is ACPI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F41) and when the HP driver is installed is listed as Serial I2C. After that it seems to work fine.

Besides that, my wife says that they have problems at work with EAZ-Fix and McAfee antivirus. I don't know what version are using, but it's worrying that they're still having problems months after that windows release.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!