Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/108725- … ms-dos-edition/

DOOM 4 VANILLA […]
Show full quote

DOOM 4 VANILLA

aka Doom 2016 the Way 1993 Did It

After almost two years, I'm proud to announce my biggest project so far: It's a gameplay mod inspired by Doom 2016, made to be compatible with any source-port (or without any of them).

100% vanilla compatible and full of dehacked tricks! All under the limitations of the original Doom2.exe

--------------------------
*** FEATURES ***
-------------------------

New demon abilities:
Mancubi with flamethrowers, Revenants using jetpacks, charging Pinkies, insta-moving Summoners... all the good stuff!
Tough weaponry:
As the 2x faster Chaingun, the Super Chainsaw that can kill almost any demon, a “glory-killing” sequence of punches and weapons with faster animations. Visually, it’s a mix of the original sprites by Neccronixis with some details from Franco Tieppo's version.
A refined set of enemy sprites:
At least a better job compared to my initial attempts from 2016, some of them reworked from scratch. You can see the full bestiary down here.
The Doom4mator:
An extensive change of textures\flats to set any map on a Doom 2016 mood, including foundries on the surface of Mars or Hellish canyons filled with toxic waste.
Powered by DMXOPL:
The amazing soundbank made by Csonicgo. Listen to a new selection of tracks (a few of them from Doom 2016) with improved OPL instruments. Perfect for some heavy djent riffs!
Unusual vanilla effects:
Brightmaps for sprites and textures
Blood splats on floors
A custom palette with vivid tones
New COLORMAP tint effects
Centered weapons when fired
Monsters with multiple abilities

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 9, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Shit, wtf, OMG..

So if I wanted to run this on real hardware in MS-DOS, what is the best port to use it with, MBF? What kind of hardware would it require? Would a P133 suffice?

Last edited by appiah4 on 2019-09-04, 07:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6 of 9, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MS-DOS VERSION RELEASED! PREPARE YOUR 386!!!!

My 386 would choke on this but my 233MMX sure is ready! Neat project.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 7 of 9, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This seems cool. I've always been seeing DOOM as a video game from just the 90s, but I guess I was wrong when I found out that apparently DOOM still has newer versions released. Actually, I did know that, but not all the way...

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 8 of 9, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

If you want to try on a real machine:

1. MBF DOS 2.04 works 😀

2. Doom2plus (limit-patched 1.9 Doom2.exe) + Dehacked works

What is the exact specifics to get this going in MBF? I've only had luck getting it to work with the included batch files it comes with on the DOS release. Also curious to try this in GZDoom but I don't think it is as easy as just dragging the .wad ontop of GZDoom as Sigil was?

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 9 of 9, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this running easy enough in GZDoom. Just had to copy over my actual doom2.wad to my GZdoom directory along with the d4.deh. Then if I drag and drop the d4.wad ontop of GZdoom executable it fires right up. These changes putting in the doom2016 baddies amps up the gameplay quite a bit. But some things I guess couldn't be changed. As an example, most of the enemies still seem to be bound by the areas they spawn from. Pinkies do charge and have the ability to jump, but do not seem able to jump to higher levels and will charge at you straight into walls if you are on a ledge above them. This actually makes them easier to kill from above since the original pinkies tend to run amok but these new ones stay focused on killing you. As a result, it is easier to shoot them. Revenants might have jet packs but they appear unable to leave their spawn areas as well. Often I've come to an area on a map that has a few revanants on a ledge above me, and they are attacking and firing up their jet packs but never leave the ledge they originated from? As a result, the jet pack isn't really needed or a benefit to them in this case.

Also, since the chainsaw isn't limited in the original game, the new one is way too overpowered as it kills pretty much all these enemies in no time at all and never runs out of any fuel/ammo in this case.

Even with these changes and what seems like should be easier kills, it is actually much more difficult overall. The 2016 Cyberdemon in this original doom universe is way too hard to take down in normal game play now.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20