VOGONS

First post, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yesterday, a day short of Ultima VII: The Black Gate's 28th anniversary, we released the version 1.6 of Exult. Only took us 16 years to have a proper release...

With this release we are leaving old operating systems behind (Windows < XP, OS X < 10.7), for a couple of reasons:
- we switched to SDL2 and the old SDL 1.2x is not properly maintained anymore and some features we are using are not fully supported.
- more importantly, to fix a truckload of bugs made us use c++14 and this means some OS are left behind (because supporting them is painful without much gain)
- keeping our GTK based Exult Studio backwards compatible is really hard to do...

The full release text:

Almost ten years after the version 1.4.9rc1, 16 years after the last stable version (v1.2) and 28 years after the official relea […]
Show full quote

Almost ten years after the version 1.4.9rc1, 16 years after the last stable version (v1.2) and 28 years after the official release of Ultima VII - The Black Gate (16 April 1992), we are finally ready to release a new version. With many developers busy with their real life and most having moved on, it took us this long. We have been busy squashing more of the inexplicable crashes but these changes will force us to stop supporting some ancient operating systems.
That's why we decided to release one last version of Exult, Exult Studio and Exult's tools for the old OS' before moving on with development. For really old Windows operating systems (95/98/ME/NT/2000) we prepared a legacy download.
So please grab the new version available on our download page.
The source tarball and the Debian package will be uploaded at a later date.
Please play with it and tell us of any problem you encounter using the forum or bug tracker.

A brief list of the most important changes in Exult since v1.4.9rc1:

Shortcut bar with important shortcuts right on top of the screen (thanks Litchie)
Switch to SDL2 - important for up to date OS'
NxBR and HQ3x/HQ4x scalers
Option to drop stacks of items without confirmation
Some more combat options to make charmed combat more difficult
Schedules got a work-over and are more closer to the original but not yet perfect
NPCs using beds are sleeping better now
Paperdoll support of wearing diapers
Portable option for Windows
Separate settings for fullscreen and windowed mode possible
HighDPI mode available on macOS
Better pathfinding when the party boards a barge
Fixed most inexplicable crashes
Serpent Isle Beta version works
Cleaned up the code in many places and fixed many compiler warnings
Tons of bugfixes
But we do have known issues:

Some crashes due to some cached-out objects, we are working on this in another branch which will be the main snapshot after this release
Antimagic rain caused by the cube generator is not dissipating as fast as it should
Exult does not show the "you have beaten Ultima VII in n days" message
Exult does not return to the game menu after beating the game (instead it quits)
The BG intro does not have the proper sound effects
Fire Elementals cannot walk across lava
Some schedules need more detailed love
Several bugs that need more in-depth looking at but no plot-stopping bugs
When you disable "Gumps pause game", certain events might only happen after you close all gumps

Disclaimer: I'm part of the Exult team so this could be seen as self promotion, but I think Exult is relevant enough to be posted about here 😀

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-04-23, 04:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nice! thanks for the heads up!
I will give it a go, I could never really enjoy U7 with the original engine....

edit:
exult-1.6.0-win32.exe is a false virus positive, fffff win10/chrome won't let me download it

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 7, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote on 2020-04-19, 09:20:

nice! thanks for the heads up!
I will give it a go, I could never really enjoy U7 with the original engine....

Neil from the RetroManCave interviewed Lord British the other day, and Mr. Garriott said that U7 came out when Origin already was part of EA, who pushed the game too early and in two parts. So there were quite some bugs. The interview is really good, I recommend it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU90N4Cbj10

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 4 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

LB likes to retcon history a bit at times. In older interviews he said that they were pretty free with U7 but made themselves hurry. Party 2, I don't recall but that was definitely cut, with U8 they had free reign and with U9 even more so. Or one could say, fatally more. Only after delaying for years and wasting tons of money did EA put their foot down.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-04-23, 04:13. Edited 1 time in total.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

U7 and U8 (although improved) should have better engines to begin with, they could be way more enjoyable...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, I wanted to make an announcement about that, too 😀 (I mean about the merge with Scummvm)
(also nuvie and xu4)