VOGONS

First post, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know if this "find" was a casualty of COVID or what, but I had not heard about this until today:

Source: https://mixnmojo.com/news/Play-the-Monkey-Isl … -how-to-hack-it

Play the Monkey Island 2 talkie-prototype; read an interview about it; learn how to hack it 03 Aug, 2020 […]
Show full quote

Play the Monkey Island 2 talkie-prototype; read an interview about it; learn how to hack it
03 Aug, 2020

By Rémi

First, so we don’t bury the lede: If you want to play the talkie-edition prototype of Monkey Island 2, we are here to provide: Download it right here.

Of course, when I say “we”, the credit belongs to Nicolas Deneschau, the gentleman author of the French Monkey Island tome, "Les mysteres de Monkey Island: à l'abordage des pirates!" Not only did he provide the file, he also conducted interviews with Aric Wilmunder (the man behind the voiced prototype, and also the voice of Rapp Scallion) and Khris Brown (LEC’s famed casting director). Make sure to read all the way to the bottom for instruction on how to get the prototype to run under DOSBox. Check it out now.

And Mojo wouldn’t be Mojo without without Benzo hacking his way into the prototype. If you’re the type of person who find deepdives into resource files interesting — and seeing you are reading this, you probably do — go read it, too.

In summation: A playable prototype; interviews; hacking tutorials. Mojo has it all for you. Go read, and expect more from this, because we’re going to milk this for what it’s worth.

And if you enjoy this kind of fine, quality content, why not contribute a donation to our Patreon campaign? Only you can ensure the continued excellence of Mojo and its vast ocean of exclusive features!

Source: https://quickandeasysoftware.net/monkey-islan … alkie-prototype

Monkey Island 2 Talkie Prototype August 3, 2020 […]
Show full quote

Monkey Island 2 Talkie Prototype
August 3, 2020

Mixnmojo has just released the fabled Monkey Island 2 talkie prototype. I delved into the game and its resource files and wrote the second page of this article about what I found.

I also made a tool to open the monster.sou file and dump the speech from the game (its linked in the article). There is lots of speech in there that doesn’t play ingame. The unexpected bonus though is that the interpreter is debug enabled and includes Windex – the SCUMM debugger. In the article I explain how to activate and use it.

Go read about it over on Mojo.