VOGONS

Reply 60 of 136, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also have Hyper-V disabled, vbox virt. interface = default.
This notebook has combined intel + nvidia RTX A2000
You didn't noticed any stability problems?

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 61 of 136, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check history, i once completely broke it just by game exit, my theory is bad refresh rate.. after that all good..
Dual graphics are not great, some bios have possibility to force Geforce all the time, some dont.

I can only say that for me its working, as for others.. I did not installed it from the scratch to save time, i just used old virtual machine image.. Once you install clean system can make whole virtual disk back up.
Hardest part is really force new Vmware PCI driver in device manager instead of original Vmware one.. installer never did it for me.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 62 of 136, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What you mean by "force new Vmware PCI driver in device manager instead of original Vmware one"?
Replacing a driver from your old installation? In my case it just installed driver from SoftGPU package instead std. VGA driver.

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 63 of 136, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Vmware driver is part of Virtual machine additions.. and when new modified SoftGPU driver is installed, old version is still used.. You can check it by driver date.. SoftGPU is 202x . Im not sure maybe its virtual graphics card even compatible with some in-build Win98 SE not VGA driver.. Its worth to check it, i had to force to use it and point it once more to drivers on ISO..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 64 of 136, by MechanicalSanity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another thing just occurred to me: instead of openglide, wouldn't grover be better? I mean, the code for that has been available, albeit unimplemented into mesa. And rather than a layer, it is a native glide driver!

Reply 65 of 136, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't install any drivers / additions to my fresh intallation. I only used SoftGPU ISO and the VGA driver is reported to be VMWare SVGA-II PCI Adapter 4.0 (vmwsmini.*)

BTW I cannot enable 3D acceleration in Virtualbox graphics options. I can click that checkbox under Graphics Controller: VMSVGA (as suggested to choose on github) but Virtualbox complains this adapter is not compatible with 3D accel option and it will be ignored or it is suggested to switch to VboxVGA controller. If I choose it then Win98 detects new Vbox VGA PCI adapter and looks for driver so I pointed to mounted SoftGPU ISO and driver installed. Now the adapter is reported to be Vbox VGA PCI Adapter 4.0 (boxvmini.*). GLchecker reports renderer: llvmpipe 6.1, 128b and the Blendermark performance is the same as with vmware driver (46-50FPS in 1024x768/32bpp). I will see if it improve stability some way...

Reply 66 of 136, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MechanicalSanity wrote on 2023-06-15, 13:47:

Another thing just occurred to me: instead of openglide, wouldn't grover be better? I mean, the code for that has been available, albeit unimplemented into mesa. And rather than a layer, it is a native glide driver!

Define better.
So you're volunteering getting it merged and maintaining it as well as testing Linux and Windows compatibility? Great if so. If not do you expect the op to and then expect virtualbox and vmware to work with it?
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/me … _requests/14862

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 67 of 136, by MechanicalSanity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2023-06-15, 16:20:
Define better. So you're volunteering getting it merged and maintaining it as well as testing Linux and Windows compatibility? […]
Show full quote
MechanicalSanity wrote on 2023-06-15, 13:47:

Define better.
So you're volunteering getting it merged and maintaining it as well as testing Linux and Windows compatibility? Great if so. If not do you expect the op to and then expect virtualbox and vmware to work with it?
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/me … _requests/14862

I say better because mesa has already been implemented into this thing, and grover is just pretty much an addon for mesa. Putting those two together does not appear to be that hard, but I could be wrong. I am just throwing out ideas that could potentially make the life of the creator easier.

Reply 68 of 136, by NTxC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, I can't believe this exists. Using softgpu, I just tested GTA III on Windows 98 SE in VMware 17 and it's actually sort of playable (15-20 FPS) using software rendering.

Thank you for starting this project, JH64.

After witnessing the mess of that *other* project this is a very welcome breath of fresh air. Now if there was only a way to enable hardware acceleration on VMware... I will definitely donate when that's possible.

Edit: The Sims doesn't work: screenshot of the error ("invalid page in DWINE.DLL")

Reply 69 of 136, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was playing around with Windows 2000 in vmware workstation today and noticed that the XP drivers are newer than the 2000 drivers.

Extracted vmwogl32.dll from tools-WinPreVista and placed in the Q3 directory

vmwogl32.dll for XP v2.6.3.0
Quake 3 reports 2.1 Mesa 10.0 git - 5da4fa2

vmwogl32.dll for 2k v2.3.4.0
Quake 3 reports 2.1 Mesa 7.12-devel git - d6c318e

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 70 of 136, by JH64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2023-05-28, 00:23:

Something that may or may not be useful for softGPU but for Vmware Workstation if you set the hardware version of the VM to 9 or lower then 3D acceleration will work on Windows 2000 on even on the latest versions of Vmware workstation.

Thanks! That's what I was looking for! This + change operation system to Win2k do the trick. I hope I'll create new release tonight supporting HW 3D in VMware 😀

Attachments

• vmware-softgpu.png
    Filename
    vmware-softgpu.png
    File size
    49.18 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    VMware + SoftGPU + HW 3D
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 71 of 136, by EriolGaurhoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is really cool, but I'm a dunce when it comes to setting these things up. Whenever I run this line:

VBoxManage setextradata "Windows 98" "VBoxInternal/Devices/vga/0/Config/VMSVGA10" "0"

and I go to start up my VirtualBox, I'm greeted with this error:

"Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows 98.

Invalid configuration for vga device (VERR_PDM_DEVINS_UNKNOWN_CFG_VALUES).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}"

Oddly, I was able to set up the entire thing without having to use the VBoxManage line, and when I run the GL Checker, it appears I have hardware acceleration as well. I'm running VirtualBox 6.0.24 r139119, I'm not sure if the version has anything to do with the error. I haven't done much testing on games thus far; the only game I've attempted to install and run was Quake II, which failed hard. All I got was a small box with a gray screen that just hung before I had to ctrl-alt-del it, and I'm unsure whether or not this has to do with the fact I wasn't able to use the VBoxManage line, or if there's something else I'm missing. Other than that, I've followed the instructions to a T.

Reply 72 of 136, by angrylion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
EriolGaurhoth wrote on 2023-07-15, 12:48:

VBoxManage setextradata "Windows 98" "VBoxInternal/Devices/vga/0/Config/VMSVGA10" "0"

This line is only needed for VBox 7.0 as explained here:
https://github.com/JHRobotics/mesa9x
Quake II boots fine for me in VBox 6.0.

Reply 73 of 136, by EriolGaurhoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
angrylion wrote on 2023-07-15, 18:08:

Played around with it and got it working, was using a really old version of Quake II, after a newer patch everything works perfectly! I'm so happy this thing exists 😀

Reply 74 of 136, by handlingcfg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JH64 wrote on 2023-07-09, 16:00:
DosFreak wrote on 2023-05-28, 00:23:

Something that may or may not be useful for softGPU but for Vmware Workstation if you set the hardware version of the VM to 9 or lower then 3D acceleration will work on Windows 2000 on even on the latest versions of Vmware workstation.

Thanks! That's what I was looking for! This + change operation system to Win2k do the trick. I hope I'll create new release tonight supporting HW 3D in VMware 😀

about windows version tricks, i had test different versions windows on vmware 3d performance with 3dmark, windows xp-vista version of 3d vgpu stopped being developed, i think xp version and 2000 version are same.
the thing is xp version gives very poor performance and stutters, 3dmark2001 scores are
native 53652

xp 7948 24 fps in game
vista 47635 193 fps
win7 51470 221 fps

if somehow tricking vmware with windows 7-8-10 vm settings (w7+ version of vgpu) with windows 98 vm, the 3d performance would go 2-10 times depending directx version.

Reply 75 of 136, by MechanicalSanity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
angrylion wrote on 2023-07-15, 18:08:
This line is only needed for VBox 7.0 as explained here: https://github.com/JHRobotics/mesa9x Quake II boots fine for me in VBox […]
Show full quote
EriolGaurhoth wrote on 2023-07-15, 12:48:

This is not related, but you're the legendary angrylion! The guy who created the most accurate N64 rdp thus far! I was not aware that you were a fan of retro PC emulation!

Reply 76 of 136, by Uberphawx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This thing is marvelous

Have it installed on a Windows ME VM on VirtualBox 7.0.x and can run all the classic Quake games (+ some source ports , also except Quake IV of course), Kingpin, Diablo II (on Glide mode), Jazz Jackrabbit 2, NFS II SE (with Glide) , DOSBox (with a Windows 3.1 install configured to start on the autoexec part 😃 ), some emulators (ZSNES, Snes9x, Kega, Gens, NO$GBA, etc) and a few other old Windows games that are a bit niche but i still like a lot (Spider Solitaire, DXBall 1 & 2, ElastoMania, MarbleDrop, The Incredible Toon Machine, etc)

Looking forward to see what else can i run on that 😁

Spoiler

Just a question...
Can you make your driver compatible with NT 3.51/4?
Thanks

Reply 77 of 136, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Uberphawx wrote on 2023-07-18, 21:16:
This thing is marvelous […]
Show full quote

This thing is marvelous

Have it installed on a Windows ME VM on VirtualBox 7.0.x and can run all the classic Quake games (+ some source ports , also except Quake IV of course), Kingpin, Diablo II (on Glide mode), Jazz Jackrabbit 2, NFS II SE (with Glide) , DOSBox (with a Windows 3.1 install configured to start on the autoexec part 😃 ), some emulators (ZSNES, Snes9x, Kega, Gens, NO$GBA, etc) and a few other old Windows games that are a bit niche but i still like a lot (Spider Solitaire, DXBall 1 & 2, ElastoMania, MarbleDrop, The Incredible Toon Machine, etc)

Looking forward to see what else can i run on that 😁

Spoiler

Just a question...
Can you make your driver compatible with NT 3.51/4?
Thanks

Thanks for the review. Looks like it'll work very well once configured properly.

Spoiler

As for the NT 3.51/4 question... for now you can use boxvnt from OS2Museum to get higher desktop colors and resolutions. VBox mouse integration for NT3.x is possible following this guide (for some reasons this readme often doesn't really get into the VBox Additions image). Currently no way to do shared folders on NT 3.51 but you can use VBox GUI to put the folders you want to share into a VISO as a one-way (read-only) alternative (which is what I'm using).

I haven't tested NT4, but guest additions might have a better chance than NT 3.x to get installed and be working if you're using SP6.

There's currently an unofficial Mesa port that supposedly brings in OpenGL 2.0 for NT 3.51 but I do not have means to actually confirm its functionality even on bare metal. I wonder if SoftGPU's OpenGL part could somehow be made work on these old NT systems. I once checked the Mesa DLLs from SoftGPU using Dependency Walker on a NT 3.51 VM and there are still a good amount of symbols unavailable in NT3.51 being used so it cannot be used as-is at the moment.

Reply 78 of 136, by comteck123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm honestly quite impressed. The only painful parts are the install process because for some reason VMware is really damn slow in the BIOS, and by extension DOS. Like words cannot describe how unusable video is during install. Is this a VMware thing? Where the vesa fallback stuff just doesn't work at all, and even DOS games lock up VMware.

The Shadow Warrior Mod that makes weapons O.P., plus adds more ammo: My First Shadow Warrior mod.

Reply 79 of 136, by comteck123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unreal is broken in 32bit rendering using the direct3D render on virtualbox 7.0.10 r158379

Attachments

• unREAL.PNG
    Filename
    unREAL.PNG
    File size
    785.7 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

The Shadow Warrior Mod that makes weapons O.P., plus adds more ammo: My First Shadow Warrior mod.