Unity Runtime Fee

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-09-18, 07:01:

So now Unity is backpedaling, with further information to be announced. But probably not really.

The damage has already been done even if they backpedal entirely and replace all of their top management. A lot of developers are going to be suspicious of them going forward. I certainly wouldn't trust them not to make a similar decision in the future. Getting rid of their top management probably wouldn't help much either, as people are more familiar with Unity as a brand compared to any prominent people who could be replaced.

Reply 21 of 27, by Dolenc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm a unity developer for the last many years, from version 4. Nothing changes for my current situation/company, since were on a custom license anyway.... But for me personally, I just don't see it as something I wanna invest my own time developing skills going forward. I've been using unreal for my playtime enjoyment for a few years, but sometimes I still consider if what I'm doing would make more sense in Unity... That just cemented my decision.

Unity has many issues, that would benefit addressing, now if it also touches being "an unstable ecosystem" going forward... Well....

Reply 27 of 27, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, that was very obvious jab at Genshin Impact and Honkai Star Rail, which are based on Unity.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.