VOGONS

First post, by thp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm sure this exists in some form or the other, but a quick googling hasn't revealed anything, so I just set out to write it myself.

The Doom 1.9 Shareware Benchmark only prints out the result as "realtics" and "gametics", and for those too lazy to remember how to convert those into FPS, or don't have a calculator by hand, let me offer you a tool that you run after the benchmark, and it will read the values from text mode video memory, do a little multiplication and division on your behalf and present you with the result.

Because, you know, you actually have a beefy computer in front of you - why would you resort to a pocket calculator or your mobile phone for manually calculating the FPS on your retro rig?

This comes in two flavors, one very straightforward libc-using EXE (~ 32 KiB) and one "slightly smaller binary, slightly more involved source file with inline ASM, because we're avoiding some big libc routines" COM (~ 2 KiB).

Source code included.

doomfps.png
Filename
doomfps.png
File size
11.51 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Attachments

• Filename
    doomfps.zip
    File size
    25.16 KiB
    Downloads
    79 downloads
    File comment
    doomfps source + binary release
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 2, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

aha! very nice! I will include it with my bench utils , finally we are closer to "max_laziness_mode=ON"
🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website