VOGONS

First post, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wasn't sure this deserves its own thread but then again why not...

game.gif
Filename
game.gif
File size
552.5 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The disk image

Filename
avcpc.zip
File size
10.42 KiB
Downloads
175 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The story
I always wanted to tinker with assembly and create something for the first computer I ever experienced, the Amstrad CPC 6128, but never got around to doing it. Until the 2020 covid lockdowns when, with plenty of time to kill, the local retro-communities became chatty and modern flame wars about home computers (just for laughs of course) sparked. In this context the idea was conceived: create... trolling material for friends who are hardcore fans of the C64!

Yes, this was mostly created as a joke "hey C64 friends I bet I can create in just 1 week a game that already exists on the C64 BUT BETTER". Imagine the booing reactions and looks of disbelief that all charismatic pioneers are met with, "go play some Spectrum port on your sprite-less CPC" etc. But little did they know that I was about to recreate Arcade Volleyball, which on the C64 looks like this (and plays even worse, it was a type-in program from a magazine) 😄😁

We all had fun, the troll won its 6-pack and lockdowns ended.

The technicalities
Written in C using the SDCC compiler and assembly routines for the keyboard, screen and beeps.
Huge credits to Mochilote at CPCMANIA for the excellent programming tutorials and the head start -tinkering with these can be fun, but reinventing the wheel never is.
Tested to run on a real CPC 6128/6128+ and WinAPE emulator

The disclaimer
If it's not clear yet, this is a 5-day thing in 2020 + a couple more recently to polish the really rough parts and throw it to the internet. Do not expect a complete game, realistic ball physics, challenging AI etc. It's a quick little joke, treat it as such. If it makes 1 person chuckle only by seeing the CGA palette on the CPC, I'm happy.

The WinAPE quick guide
For people unfamiliar with the Amstrad CPC series who just want to run this in 1'
.Download WinAPE emulator, no need to install anything, just run it
.Settings-> General-> select "CPC6128" profile
.File-> Drive A:-> Insert Disc Image-> check "Automatically Run Program" and point to the (unzipped) .dsk attachment

Reply 2 of 4, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks for sharing konc!!!
once of these days I will setup my 6128 and do the port some justice - playing it on the original hardware 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 4, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileR wrote on 2023-10-22, 17:04:

Well done! Seems to be just as good as the PC version. 😉

Now how about a sequel?

Thanks for the kind words. But are we sure this is a sequel and not a an alpha of the prequel? 😄

keropi wrote on 2023-10-22, 17:25:

thanks for sharing konc!!!
once of these days I will setup my 6128 and do the port some justice - playing it on the original hardware 😀

Yay another one! It seems we make up the total of two Amstrad users here.