VOGONS

First post, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, sorry my english, I programmed a music player for wav files for Windows 3.1, it is totally designed to be efficient at 16 colors

It has an ini file that stores position X, Y and a custom directory to open first, if left blank it opens the program directory

The program searches for two types of files in the music directory, BMP for the cover, which can be cover.bmp or the name of the file, for example, if it is vangelis.wav, if it finds vangelis.bmp it will put that image, and a file called play.lst which is basically a simple text file, which can be created and edited with the button below the list of wav files, where you can give a long name to each wav file that is in 8+3

If program can't find play.lst, it put the directory name+wav name as the name

When minimized it shows the file name, both long and short if there is no play.lst

I programmed this player in 95 or 96, I don't remember exactly, but I had lost the code for decades. A few days ago I found a floppy with almost all the code!!!! What a happines, so I started writing the missing parts, which were few, and compiled it again almost 30 years later...!

As you can see, it is simple, and optimized for 16 colors, need vb4 runtimes

New-1.gif
Filename
New-1.gif
File size
40.69 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

If you open the list of files you will be able to see the button to edit the names

New-2.gif
Filename
New-2.gif
File size
37.58 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Edit and you will see how it appears in the title

New-3.gif
Filename
New-3.gif
File size
39.09 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Love to download this looongggg retrowave youtube musics! maybe i need to implement some fullscreen picture..

New-4.gif
Filename
New-4.gif
File size
38.85 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Attachments

• Filename
    WIN3WAVE.zip
    File size
    9.39 KiB
    Downloads
    11 downloads
    File comment
    the player
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 5, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some covers example, 224x224 16 colors bmp

terminat1.gif
Filename
terminat1.gif
File size
5.44 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
godbad.gif
Filename
godbad.gif
File size
9.54 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
CTHEME.gif
Filename
CTHEME.gif
File size
7.75 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
conan2.gif
Filename
conan2.gif
File size
8.64 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
2001a.gif
Filename
2001a.gif
File size
8.52 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 3 of 5, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Garrett W wrote on 2024-03-25, 22:03:

This is such a great vibe and with a cool story attached, what with the finding of the floppy !
I'll be sure to give this one a try sometime!

thanks, yes, i totally forgot this program I made until i found the floppy some days ago! funny thing the floppy say "Supaplex" jajaja thank god inside no supaplex, but the code! i was so happy, no offense to supaplex !

I programm the original code in a 386 DX40 and Visual Basic 3, and used until 97-98 maybe that i started to use winamp and mp3 files, and now i finish it in a DX4-100 using Visual 4 because i abandoned mp3 to go back to adpcm wavs.... crazy, in 97 i was crazy to have a better cpu to decode mp3 and now almost 30 years later, that i have enough cpu power... i go back to wavs... 😀