VOGONS

My Very Long Bus Adventure.

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 266, by Madao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, my VirgeVLB Project is based on this STB Powergraph 64v. But Virge, i didn't believe anymore on success. With Trio64V+ is project (use same PCBs ) a big success.

Trio64V+ VLB from my draft is very fast, ARK1000VL is slighter faster.

Last edited by Madao on 2021-10-22, 13:53. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 121 of 266, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Madao wrote on 2021-10-22, 09:42:

Yes, my VirgeVLB Project is based on this STB Powergraph But Virge, i didn't believe anymore on success. But with Trio64V+ is project a big success.

Trio64V+ VLB from my draft is very fast, ARK1000VL is slighter faster.

I’ve been following the project, very cool stuff! I hope you succeed in making a VLB Virge!

Reply 122 of 266, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you very much for ROM Image 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 123 of 266, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
libby wrote on 2021-10-20, 00:38:
eh, I bought 38 cards off an electronics store for 5 bucks each after spotting them in a photo someone posted of the store's inn […]
Show full quote
Chadti99 wrote on 2021-10-18, 10:11:
libby wrote on 2021-10-17, 22:49:

I'm the ebay seller who was selling these for "ridiculous prices" 😀

http://www.yiff.com/~libretto/junk/rom/PG64V12.BIN

Hey thanks for sharing this, and more power to you if you have something and know what it’s worth. I wish I had known 🤣.

eh, I bought 38 cards off an electronics store for 5 bucks each after spotting them in a photo someone posted of the store's innards, I just emailed the store and offered to buy everything

there were six of those, I sold two to buddies on discord cheap, two on ebay for 160 bucks or so and kept two

trio64v.png

I think one of the remaining two has a 1.3 firmware and I'll put that up if so

Hi,

do you also own the Driver Disks ?
(Sorry for capturing Thread)

Thanks

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc

Reply 125 of 266, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
libby wrote on 2021-10-22, 06:09:

I can probably be convinced to let one of these two cards go for the 160 bucks* plus ship

* freedom bucks not monopoly money

Hi Libby, I have the necessary amount of freedom bucks if you still thinking about letting one go.

Reply 126 of 266, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I picked up a Spea Trio64 and so far the dos benchmarks are the same as my Diamond Trio32. Unfortunately I’ve not been able to boot into Windows with this card, even with a clean install. It keeps hanging on the Windows start up screen. I’ve tried just about everything I can think of, so frustrating but I’m sure it’s going to be something simple.

Edit: removing the 5-6 on jp18 might of fixed this, not sure why the docs out there say to set this for POD.

Reply 128 of 266, by Madao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Madao wrote on 2021-10-23, 17:55:

I have driver for Win9x Trio64V+ VLB but not for Win 3.1

Now i have driver for Trio64V+ and Win 3.1
(just a modified STB Powergraph Driver for using all trio64V+ (include VLB model)

Attachments

• Filename
    trio64V_win3.1_2_12.zip
    File size
    615.68 KiB
    Downloads
    33 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 129 of 266, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Madao wrote on 2021-10-29, 04:36:
Madao wrote on 2021-10-23, 17:55:

I have driver for Win9x Trio64V+ VLB but not for Win 3.1

Now i have driver for Trio64V+ and Win 3.1
(just a modified STB Powergraph Driver for using all trio64V+ (include VLB model)

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Reply 130 of 266, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Made a happy discovery today. If I leave the jumpers in place for L1 WB operation on the POD I only need to change the setting in the bios for L1 to WT I order to play Duke3D. The sound test is still trashed but actual sound during gameplay seems fine. Overall hit to system performance is almost negligible, Duke3D runs a whole frame better, and I can always switch the setting back with a simple reboot, no fiddling with jumpers, yay!

BTW this board gets the highest Duke3D fps of 42 at 320x400, beating any other socket 3 hardware combo I’ve come across yet if memory serves correctly. Will def go back and double check though.

Reply 131 of 266, by Madao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

But, i must tell: STB Powergraph P64V runs with Waitstate 1.
If it is setting to zero Waitstate -> ARK1000VL Hunter.
Despite stable run in Win95 and DOS, win 3.1 didn't like zero Waitstate (graphic failure with standard VGA Driver)
Motherboard with SIS496/7 doesn't work with 0 Waitstate.

I attached here a modified STB ROM with zero Waitstate. (thanks to a people with tips)

Filename
STB_powergraph_zerowaitstate.zip
File size
17.84 KiB
Downloads
38 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 132 of 266, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Madao wrote on 2021-11-01, 05:08:
But, i must tell: STB Powergraph P64V runs with Waitstate 1. If it is setting to zero Waitstate -> ARK1000VL Hunter. Despi […]
Show full quote

But, i must tell: STB Powergraph P64V runs with Waitstate 1.
If it is setting to zero Waitstate -> ARK1000VL Hunter.
Despite stable run in Win95 and DOS, win 3.1 didn't like zero Waitstate (graphic failure with standard VGA Driver)
Motherboard with SIS496/7 doesn't work with 0 Waitstate.

I attached here a modified STB ROM with zero Waitstate. (thanks to a people with tips)
STB_powergraph_zerowaitstate.zip

Very cool Madao! It sounds like this may work on the SV2GX4 with both DOS and 95 if I’m reading this correctly.

Reply 135 of 266, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, will try your bios tonight.
If it can outdo ark1000vl in dos, as you say, then s3 trio64 becomes the best overall option for VLB since it is already the fastest thing for accelerated Win GDI api.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 136 of 266, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The thing is on boards with the SIS 496/497 it does not run at all when it has 0 waitstates.
The waitstates are set up in the BIOS.
But it is possible to change the waitstates by software command at runtime when you have a 1 waitstate BIOS.
I'm sorry, using a 0 waitstate BIOS and change waitstates later is no option.

I talk about the S3 83C325 but Trio64V+ behaves in the same way.

Reply 137 of 266, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As sacrilegious as it sounds has anyone benchmarked VLB cards in Windows 95 or 98? Are there any good benchmarks found within 2d direct draw games?

StarCraft for example seems to run fine on either my Trio64 or ARK, I’m not sure I can tell a difference in scrolling or frame rate.

Reply 138 of 266, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could try Jazz Jackrabbit 2 😀