VOGONS

First post, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Figured I'd do a build to finally put my 3D Prophet 9700 Pro to work.

Specs:

MB - MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR
CPU - AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton core
PSU - rebuilt Premier LC-8500BTX (I spent about 3 hours of work on it)
HSF - OEM Cooler Master w/ new 4 pin fan
GPU - Hercules 3D Prophet Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB w/ Deepcool V50 HSF (unfortunately, original copper HSF broke and had to be thrown away)
Audio - SB Audigy 2 ZS (Dell OEM)
RAM - 2.5GB DDR400 (2x1GB + 1x512MB)
HDD - WD Caviar 160GB PATA
Misc - USB 2.0 card (to be replaced by RTL8169C NIC soon)
Case - Linkworld 3130E
OS - WinXP Pro SP3
ODD - NEC ND-3540A (the LG above is just a filler as I don't have bay covers to remove it for now...)

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 1 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The R9700 Pro is definitely an interesting card to see a system being build around, if only because it's not a card I see used often.
But for me the most interesting part used may actually be the PSU since you build it 😜

I hope for you the Deepcool V50 is sufficient to cool the card and I always like to see a case fan with any Athlon build.
How is the card? 🙂

I don't even know the names of half my cases, it's usually tricky to find out the model number of a case. Yours looks nice though, a typical budget case of which there were many but which also is a good representation of what was typical during the AXP era which is something I appreciate.

I'm curious btw what you did to that PSU 😋

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 10, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-06-12, 07:54:

I'm curious btw what you did to that PSU 😋

I rebuilt it using parts from a long defunct Allied AL-8400BTX (PCB was heavily delaminated on the solder side).
Most of the transformers, heatsinks and the output torroid were from the delaminated unit, as this one was originally too weak to power the Athlon XP.
I also reused most of the sillicon that was present on the 8400, with a few changes, namely ditching the 2x20A 45V rectifiers for 5v to install a single big 30A rectifier (my plan was for 2 originally, but I didn't have a screw long enough to get them both bolted to the heatsink, so I had to resort to only one), upgrading the 12v rectifier to a 20A rectifier, as well as 3.3v receiving a 30A rectifier as well.
The secondary caps are the only concern I have left, mainly because I had to reuse quite a few of the original "Saturn/Yang Chun" caps, which weren't bright in quality, to say the least. I'll probably come back to the PSU and up its capacitor game a little somewhere around August (leaving home for 2nd year final exams tonight)

The one thing that the Deepcool V50 might only lack is being made from copper, instead being aluminum. It was the closest I could find to the original Prophet/Titan Cooling (since IIRC those copper coolers were the same as Titan Cooling's VGA coolers), and so far it does do its job, albeit the card does get a bit hot. Performance wise, it's absolutely stunning, and it does have a certain charm I couldn't replicate with any other Radeon AGP8x card (eg. X1650 Pro) when playing Ford Racing 3 and Crazy Taxi 3 on it.

kitten.may.cry wrote on 2022-06-12, 08:23:

Jesus Christ, where are you getting this stuff?

Local fairs every Sunday, classifieds and hand-me-downs.

Reply 4 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've understood that the R9000 family of cards came with fairly mediocre cooling as standard. I always felt my Radeon 9600 had quite a tiny heatsink compare to what NVidia was offering at the time and apparently R9000 cards tend to like to die a heatdeath quite a lot.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 10, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The last Sapphire R9600 I've laid my eyes on had a rather puny cooler. Granted, it was a SE model, but come on. It's a Radeon 9600, it's bound to get pretty hot.

And the other Sapphire R9250 I had (which kinda shared the same PCB as the 9600) literally had a passive HSF. The worst part - it was GLUED.

I'm not expecting that the V50 from Deepcool is any better than the OG "Titan" cooler that Hercules used (since IIRC when I gutted the original heatsink, I found a Titan sticker underneath, so very likely all of Hercules' Radeon cooling solutions were made by Titan - yes, the same Titan that made Socket 462 (and some 478 as well) coolers back in the day - I still have about two of them - one runs a Spire fan however.)

Reply 6 of 10, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fine start of an socket 462 system. But u better to replace that garbage PSU, as even if it has rubycon caps, is far from the quality still of SeaSonic, EnermaX, Delta and others... The case is also very crap as i use to say it is cheese holding case (u know the metal boxes they use to store cheese inside), same crap i never use cases like that, when there is OEM stuff such as IBM cases, Compaq, HP and others.. Or maybe even premium case such as Cooler Master or others from back then.

The motherboard is very good, is it with japan caps or nah ? I have both versions this one and the Platinum one, well aside from the sexy black PCB and the (useless) MSI Core Cell i dont think the Platinum is any better, hell it even had KZG crappy blown up caps, comapred to panasonic and rubycon ones... Maybe using 200FSB to get that 3200+ cpu ? Also adding some gamer memory such as Corsair XMS, Mushkin black/ red line or other..

Look same type of a case cheese box, it is great for Intel I9 12900KFC and RTX 3090TI SLI...........

130603084_2223557547789046_4279710705543065148_o.jpg
Filename
File size
792.14 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
AL0003-13.jpg
Filename
AL0003-13.jpg
File size
104.07 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 7 of 10, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am dealing with whatever I can get for cheap or free, so Cooler Master and the such are out of the question. That Linkworld is actually sturdy enough. Not the best but the metal doesn't bend that easily. The ones I avoid are usually Frontier branded cases (and some newer Delux cases) because those are absolutely garbage.

Deer/Premier/ANS/JNC isn't very far from those two mainly because of the screw holes going bad usually (requiring me to use fan screws - the same thick ones that are used to hold PSU and case fans) but as long as I don't handle them like a total monkey, I figure I'm going to be fine with virtually any cheapo case (except Frontier and some Delux. The former is horribly sharp, and the latter... well some of them are made from galvanised steel but some are downright crappier steel than Frontier or JNC alone.)

As for the PSU - again, a new one like Thermaltake or Seasonic is out of the question. The few I've been finding, sellers ask for prices that are out of my reach. That's why I chose instead to go with the total DIY rebuild route and turned a cheapo unit into a stable unit that can power the most of my peripherals.

For RAM - usually I stick with Kingston KVRs, though for this one I did have to do a small compromise and replace one of the sticks with a Kingmax - the reason for that was that a few of my KVR sticks seem to have been slightly damaged in storage, and are missing one or two SMD caps - I will look into that pretty soon (hoping around 14th or 15th this month, but it will depend.)

Mobo caps - originally came with OSTs ALL around. I replaced most of the 1000uF OSTs RLP with newer (2007 datecode) RLX as those very rarely go bad in most cases. For the higher values, Panasonic 1500uF 6.3v around the intersection of AGP and DIMM slots, Rubycon for VRM low and I think the VRM high caps were already facrory installed Panasonic caps. Oh, and a BIOS reflash was in order, as when I got the board it was corrupt.

As for gamer RAM - again, very scarce on that front (oldest I can find is DDR2 unfortunately), hence why I stick with traditional KVRs and Buffalo sticks whenever possible. The reason is rather simple, most of the sticks I have been finding that are gamer are either DDR2 at the oldest and DDR3 at the newest. Most of the DDR400 sticks I have found are standard green sticks, with occasional red (Kingmax) and blue (Elixir/Super Elixir as well as some higher capacity Kingmax) sticks popping up now and then. There were some oddball yellow/gold Zeppelin sticks in a few instances but I don't think I've seen these anymore.

Reply 8 of 10, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-07-09, 08:33:
Fine start of an socket 462 system. But u better to replace that garbage PSU, as even if it has rubycon caps, is far from the qu […]
Show full quote

Fine start of an socket 462 system. But u better to replace that garbage PSU, as even if it has rubycon caps, is far from the quality still of SeaSonic, EnermaX, Delta and others... The case is also very crap as i use to say it is cheese holding case (u know the metal boxes they use to store cheese inside), same crap i never use cases like that, when there is OEM stuff such as IBM cases, Compaq, HP and others.. Or maybe even premium case such as Cooler Master or others from back then.

The motherboard is very good, is it with japan caps or nah ? I have both versions this one and the Platinum one, well aside from the sexy black PCB and the (useless) MSI Core Cell i dont think the Platinum is any better, hell it even had KZG crappy blown up caps, comapred to panasonic and rubycon ones... Maybe using 200FSB to get that 3200+ cpu ? Also adding some gamer memory such as Corsair XMS, Mushkin black/ red line or other..

Look same type of a case cheese box, it is great for Intel I9 12900KFC and RTX 3090TI SLI...........

AL0003-13.jpg

A little duct tape and it's good as new! 😁

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Asus V7700 GF2 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 9 of 10, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote on 2022-07-10, 11:53:
I am dealing with whatever I can get for cheap or free, so Cooler Master and the such are out of the question. That Linkworld is […]
Show full quote

I am dealing with whatever I can get for cheap or free, so Cooler Master and the such are out of the question. That Linkworld is actually sturdy enough. Not the best but the metal doesn't bend that easily. The ones I avoid are usually Frontier branded cases (and some newer Delux cases) because those are absolutely garbage.

Deer/Premier/ANS/JNC isn't very far from those two mainly because of the screw holes going bad usually (requiring me to use fan screws - the same thick ones that are used to hold PSU and case fans) but as long as I don't handle them like a total monkey, I figure I'm going to be fine with virtually any cheapo case (except Frontier and some Delux. The former is horribly sharp, and the latter... well some of them are made from galvanised steel but some are downright crappier steel than Frontier or JNC alone.)

As for the PSU - again, a new one like Thermaltake or Seasonic is out of the question. The few I've been finding, sellers ask for prices that are out of my reach. That's why I chose instead to go with the total DIY rebuild route and turned a cheapo unit into a stable unit that can power the most of my peripherals.

For RAM - usually I stick with Kingston KVRs, though for this one I did have to do a small compromise and replace one of the sticks with a Kingmax - the reason for that was that a few of my KVR sticks seem to have been slightly damaged in storage, and are missing one or two SMD caps - I will look into that pretty soon (hoping around 14th or 15th this month, but it will depend.)

Mobo caps - originally came with OSTs ALL around. I replaced most of the 1000uF OSTs RLP with newer (2007 datecode) RLX as those very rarely go bad in most cases. For the higher values, Panasonic 1500uF 6.3v around the intersection of AGP and DIMM slots, Rubycon for VRM low and I think the VRM high caps were already facrory installed Panasonic caps. Oh, and a BIOS reflash was in order, as when I got the board it was corrupt.

As for gamer RAM - again, very scarce on that front (oldest I can find is DDR2 unfortunately), hence why I stick with traditional KVRs and Buffalo sticks whenever possible. The reason is rather simple, most of the sticks I have been finding that are gamer are either DDR2 at the oldest and DDR3 at the newest. Most of the DDR400 sticks I have found are standard green sticks, with occasional red (Kingmax) and blue (Elixir/Super Elixir as well as some higher capacity Kingmax) sticks popping up now and then. There were some oddball yellow/gold Zeppelin sticks in a few instances but I don't think I've seen these anymore.

Interesting so it seems u cant find good stuff where u are located (i am close to u another shithole), meanwhile i am full of stuff and i find them all the times.. Sure some times i dont find good stuff even for months, but this year was very good for finding very nice stuff such as Voodoo 5, brand new sealed Hercules Prophet 4500, dual socket 370 GIGAbyte, Slot A mobo + CPU and bunch of 3Dfx cards.. Previous year was meh compared to this one.

Whatever so my point was, i live in close to urs country (a shithole as well), but guess i am blessed with finding very good stuff on the local sites such as OLX and others ( i never use ebay, dont like the prices there at all).. Or maybe there are not good stuff in Romania, or maybe u dont look much at your local AD sites for stuff i look at mine most of the time, and i find great stuff...

Whatever in time, you will find good stuff and replace the shitty/ cheap parts with expensive ones and high end 😉 . I am currently at the point of maybe replacing the case on my 462 system, as i think i dont like anymore that HP OEM case, no matter is so well build it can withstand pretty much all the damage you can think off.....

https://imgur.com/a/mubGE

I think to maybe use my SilverStone TJ07 instead of this HP, but on other hand the TJ07 is great for holding high end s939 system inside so yeah....

buckeye wrote on 2022-07-11, 20:13:

A little duct tape and it's good as new! 😁

Lmao 🤣 .... Duct tape on what exactly, the PSU, or the shitty case ?!?! I have bunch of the same type crap cases and PSUs on my basement lmao ... Dont even know wtf to do with them really, cant sell them,. as no one will buy them, cant trow them on the garbage either, as i hate to trow stuff....

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 10 of 10, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Again, I'm gonna say I'm the one who does things differently. I do not mind using a cheap unit over some high end Enermax or Seasonic, and the cases I use I usually cherrypick. I completely avoid using OEM cases (like the HP one you're using) or blingy stuff like Thermaltake and the such. The specific Linkworld, JNC and some of the better Delux cases can be had for very very cheap if you take a few minutes to cherry pick them. It's what adds a bit of adventure for me - because for example what you see as being an cheap PSU and case, for me it's something that adds to the period corectness.