First post, by ramon
I'm the proud owner of a Tandon 286/n since last year and since I have been "lurking" here at Vogons for years, but never posted anything, I thought it was time to do so.
WD286-LPM ( ATHENA SMT-216LP)
Manufactured by Western Digital Corporation (This motherboard was probably rebranded by USIT (U.S. INTEGRATED TECHNOLOGIES, INC.).
- Phoenix BIOS
- CPU: AMD N80286-12/S in PLCC package
- FPU: P80C287-12 (40-pin DIP package)
- RAM: 4MByte (4 x TOPLESS 1MB*9, 60ns, FPM, Paraty, 30 pin SIMM)
- ISA slots: 2 x 16bit
- Address Buffer Memory Controller: WDC FE3021-LR (supports LIM 4.0)
- Peripheral control chipset: WDC FE3010CJU
- Data Buffers: FARADAY FE3031-JK
- CPU Control: FARADAY FE3001-JU
- Graphics: Western Digital PARADISE PVGA1A-JK, EGA/VGA, 256kB DRAM
- RTC: Dallas DS1287
- PSU connector: AT-Style (P8-P9)
- Form factor: LPX (max 229 x 330 mm)
- Dimensions: 330mm x 198mm
- 1 x VGA
- 1x Parallel
- 2x Serial
- 1x PS/2
- 1x Floppy interface (1.44MByte 3.5" Floppy drive installed)
- 1x IDE interface (512MByte CF installed, using EZ-Drive)
- 1x ESS AudioDrive ES1869F soundcard installed in 16-bit ISA slot.
This project is almost finished, things I want to do are:
- Install a DIP 14 IC socket where the 25 MHz CPU crystal oscillator is installed now.
- Install a 32MHz crystal oscillator and install my AMD N80L286-16/S CPU and test it @ 16MHz.
- Attach heatsinks, just in case, to the FPU and "chipset" chips.
- Install a 40MHz/48MHz/50MHz crystal oscillator and install my Harris CS80C286-25 CPU and test it @ 20MHz/24MHz/25MHz.
- Replace the FPU if it gets too hot.
- Figure out if I can get EMS memory working, I got the driver, WDC FE3021-LR supports it, but the BIOS does assign all memory to XMS.
- Maybe replace the Dallas DS1287, however, it seems to be flaky, the battery seems to be working for the most times...
And last but not least, here are some pictures:
EDIT: Added file comments to pictures, rearranged them, added items to my project list and added the Dallas DS1287 RTC.
Tandon 286/n 286-12 | 4MB | PVGA1A-JK | ES1869F
Highscreen Pentium 233 MMX | 64MB | S3 ViRGE/DX | Voodoo I | AWE64
AOpen K6-2+ 450 | 512MB | GF MX2 400 64MB | SB Live!