VOGONS

First post, by G40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Based around an Aopen AX6BC and currently running a PII 400mhz this is my attempt at recreating a late 90s music production PC. So far it's been a low-budget build. I picked up the main components inexpensively from a fellow enthusiast, the case I found on Gumtree locally for £3 with the Liteon PSU, which is from the P4 era but seems to work well. I have a few soundcards to try in it but I'm keeping it simple to start with a Soundblaster Live.

It's hard to believe that this is my first self-build, unless you count a Shuttle "Barebones" P4 system I built in the early 2000s. My first PC was a secondhand IBM PC/XT with CGA graphics, so I started well and truly in the DOS days, but I've become increasingly nostalgic for the late 90s when I bought a brand new, relatively cheap Celeron 266 machine with windows 95, 64gb ram and a 4gb HD. This was when I first started making music on a PC.

Having never assembled a PC from scratch before I was amazed and very satisfied that this new build worked first time when plugged in. The internal pic is from mid way in the build, it's the only one I have to hand right now.

Motivation: Over the past few years I've been rediscovering some of my old favourite audio & midi software, mainly using a Pentium 4 ThinkBook (G40) which happens to run Windows 98SE really well. I love the earlier versions of Cubase as well as lots of other stuff and I'm revisiting hardware I owned back in the day as well as trying out stuff I couldn't afford or wasn't aware of. I'm also using another IBM P4 desktop (SIS chipset) to run music apps in XP. This works well, but XP won't run my favourite versions of Cubase. Unfortunately I couldn't get Windows 98 to run well on that machine. I briefly also owned an AMD-based IBM Aptiva which I intended to use for music - under Windows 98 MIDI timing was lousy with this machine and I was reminded that Intel (chipset and processor) was always the recommended setup for a music production PC.

Ideally I wanted a reasonably fast desktop machine so I could use a full sized keyboard, large monitor, and PCI / ISA soundcards for MIDI use. A Pentium III machine running Windows 98SE seemed ideal in this role, fast enough to run some early 2000s apps but still compatible with dos/16bit applications I wanted to run. I intend to upgrade the PII in this at some point but I just want to get everything else set up and working first. I'm not aiming for absolute authenticity in spec as you can probably tell. This project is just about building a practical music making machine using older hardware and software.

Attachments

Last edited by G40 on 2023-05-21, 19:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by G40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First issue I had was getting it to recognise the 40gb Maxtor drive without using the Cap Limit jumper. I installed Windows on a smaller Seagate drive and then updated the bios, which did the trick. Loaded an old (DOS) version of Cakewalk inbetween too, just for fun.

Attachments

Reply 2 of 11, by G40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The 40gb drive continued to be troublesome. I attempted to partition it with a Gparted live CD, which was slow, and which resulted in a partition that Windows didn't like. Tried again with FDISK. This time the disk formatted OK, albeit with Scandisk reporting issues. I can't remember the exact process I went through, but in the end Scandisk did a full surface scan and reported that it was OK, despite displaying some bad clusters.

The drive seems to work OK now, and on the plus side I had no trouble installing the Soundblaster Live.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 11, by G40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had no luck with a cheap USB 2.0 card - it resulted in a blank screen at bootup. Tried a few bios tweaks and decided not to bother with it.

Which USB 2.0 cards for old motherboards

Attachments

Last edited by G40 on 2023-05-21, 19:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 11, by G40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Picture below illustrates my current unsolved issue - errors reported with the IDE controller. This doesn't seem to be affecting operation. I was hoping installing the proper Intel chipset drivers would solve it. No dice.

Any ideas?

Attachments

Reply 5 of 11, by Jackhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Go buy a SIL3114 Sata controller (they cheap on amazon), flash it as descriped here: SIL3114 sata card, need ide firmware. install a ssd and you fine.

Dos 6.22: Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 Rev 2.0 1Mb L2 - AMD A5x86 X5 ADZ 133MHz @160MHz - 64MB RAM - CT2230 - GUS ACE - MPU-401 AT - ET4000W32P
Win98SE: Asus P5K-WS - E8600 @ 4,5GHz - Strange God Voodoo 5 6000 PCI @ 66MHz PCI-X - 2GB DDR2 1066 - Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 6 of 11, by G40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jackhead wrote on 2023-05-23, 19:10:

Go buy a SIL3114 Sata controller (they cheap on amazon), flash it as descriped here: SIL3114 sata card, need ide firmware. install a ssd and you fine.

Definitely an interesting option, especially as I have a spare SSD doing nothing. I had previously considered using a CF card in an IDE adapter as one of my drives.

Any ideas what’s causing the error though? Beginning to wonder if it’s just that Maxtor 40gb drive…

Reply 7 of 11, by Jackhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can be many things, have you checked in the bios boths IDEs are enabled?

Dos 6.22: Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 Rev 2.0 1Mb L2 - AMD A5x86 X5 ADZ 133MHz @160MHz - 64MB RAM - CT2230 - GUS ACE - MPU-401 AT - ET4000W32P
Win98SE: Asus P5K-WS - E8600 @ 4,5GHz - Strange God Voodoo 5 6000 PCI @ 66MHz PCI-X - 2GB DDR2 1066 - Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 8 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Assuming your using chipset drivers 3.20.1008? Doubt using the absolute latest is necessary but they are the easiest to find.

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/uploads/3/7/ … 1/3.20.1008.zip
You could also try manually installing the fifo driver via device manager, The exe file is really a self extracting zip file so unzip the files rather then doing an install.

Reply 9 of 11, by G40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jackhead wrote on 2023-05-24, 10:52:

Can be many things, have you checked in the bios boths IDEs are enabled?

Yep. Bios recognises everything fine. 2 hds on primary themselves actually work fine, as does optical drive on secondary.

I just don't like having errors showing up in Device Manager!

If you look closely below you'll see I've been spending money. A minor upgrade, impulse purchase, but I'm happy.

Attachments

Last edited by G40 on 2023-05-24, 20:20. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 10 of 11, by G40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2023-05-24, 11:51:

Assuming your using chipset drivers 3.20.1008? Doubt using the absolute latest is necessary but they are the easiest to find.

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/uploads/3/7/ … 1/3.20.1008.zip
You could also try manually installing the fifo driver via device manager, The exe file is really a self extracting zip file so unzip the files rather then doing an install.

Yes 3.20.1008

Just tried and failed to update them manually. Windows identifies ICH3IDE.INF as an upgrade when pointed to the unpacked Intel drivers. It then asks for ICH3IDE.CAT, which I can't find...

Attached is a screenshot showing the current drivers. They don't look ideal to me.

Attachments