Topic actions

Reply 2741 of 2751, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARKE wrote on 2024-05-16, 17:14:
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2024-05-16, 12:55:

I like that metal armor on your ide cable.

It's shower hose, less romantic than armor 😀

i like the re-use ingenuity though, it looks cool!

Reply 2742 of 2751, by AndrettiGTO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's the thing with a clear case, it forces you into some creative cable management. I do like that turntable, especially when matched with clear or colored records.

It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eyeball

Reply 2743 of 2751, by AngelaTheSephira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
yojc wrote on 2024-05-14, 11:16:
I've always wanted a PC in a clear acrylic case, and finally I got around to making one... I aimed for a late Windows 98 machine […]
Show full quote

I've always wanted a PC in a clear acrylic case, and finally I got around to making one... I aimed for a late Windows 98 machine (with XP on dual boot), hence the specs: Sempron 3000+, ASUS K8V Deluxe, 512MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti4600, Yamaha DS-XG. Since the mobo had onboard SATA, I went ahead and used a 120GB SSD - I found the idea of installing 98 on an SSD mildly amusing.

p3ZDgFb.jpeg

hexO1kX.jpeg

ViBywe9.jpeg

YAAAAY someone else with an acrylic case! I have the same case, but the machine is in pieces as the Slot A is poorly designed and has bent the board. Now, it has intermittent RAM faults and randomly hardlocks.

EDIT: I cablemanaged by putting a SCSI CD-ROM up top, and flattened all the cables down and secured the FDD cable to the HDD cable, and secured that lot to the SCSI cable. A pain to work on, but it looks(ed?) *beautiful* when complete, and I also did hard creasing in the ribbons at the bottom to make it angular and not a giant wad of wire.

HP OmniBook 600CT
i486/DX4-75 | 16 MB RAM
800x600 full-colour LCD
256 MB CF card in a PCMCIA adapter

Reply 2744 of 2751, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just some pics of my Gateway E4200, rehomed in a Fractal Design Pop Silent. Specs are not remotely interesting - PIII-450MHz with 128MB RAM, Ensoniq Audio PCI, Voodoo 3 2000, and a USB 2 card connected to the case's top USB ports.

I was considering adding some black cow-pattern decals to the case, but I'm not very arts-and-craftsy.

It also has optional obnoxious RGB =)

Attachments

• pop.jpg
    Filename
    pop.jpg
    File size
    783.29 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    1.08 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    1.28 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 3.jpg
    Filename
    3.jpg
    File size
    1.4 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 2746 of 2751, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shadzilla wrote on 2024-05-28, 09:52:

I really like that case. So unusual to see something modern with any drive bays like that, and tucking them away at the bottom in the 'PSU basement' is very neat.

The drive bay positioning is very unhelpful for reaching with IDE cables, as I had to use the longest round cable within the IDE spec to get it to reach. The PSU ATX connector barely reaches from the bottom of the case either. It does end up pretty neat though.

Reply 2748 of 2751, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd considered a Pop Silent but wasn't fully sold on the bottom mount 5 1/4" bays.

That is a lovely setup btw! Love the inclusion of the Gateway cow plushie. 😁

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2749 of 2751, by AndrettiGTO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's a nice build with that monitor and matching keyboard. Clean, uncluttered case too. There's a few beige Gateway 2 button mice with scroll wheels and Gateway speakers on EBang... I know, it never really ends. 😀

It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eyeball

Reply 2750 of 2751, by mrzmaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
WildW wrote on 2024-05-28, 15:55:

The drive bay positioning is very unhelpful for reaching with IDE cables, as I had to use the longest round cable within the IDE spec to get it to reach. The PSU ATX connector barely reaches from the bottom of the case either. It does end up pretty neat though.

Can you please share what the longest round cable within IDE spec is? 😁

I actually just bought a black version of this case and will be transplanting my PII-450 into it soon!

Reply 2751 of 2751, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mrzmaster wrote on 2024-05-29, 19:51:

Can you please share what the longest round cable within IDE spec is? 😁

Sure, it was a Belkin 18" round IDE cable. I seem to remember it was just long enough.
I'll see if I can take a picture of the cable runs when I'm home. I seem to remember it was quite tight. It will of course depend on where your motherboard has its IDE connectors.

Edit: I was misremembering. It was a nightmare to reach the bottom bays with the ribbon cable I first had so I bought the round IDE cable which was much much easier. The hard disk placement in that case is actually really good as it's behind the right side panel above the 5.25" bays, and just a bit of creative ribbon folding was needed to make the turns. I decided against a photograph as there is a bunch of ugly USB adapters stuffed back there to make the top USB work 😜