VOGONS

My IBM PS/1 (Game) Consultant tower

Topic actions

First post, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, it looks like the family never threw away the old IBM PS/1 Consultant tower system we've had since the 90s. Given it's an ISA-only system it seems prime for converting into a DOS/Win3.1 gaming tower-of-power. The specs I have are as follows:

CPU: 486SX-33 upgraded to Pentium Overdrive 83MHz
RAM: 12MB FastPage
Original Harddrive and secondary 500MB drive (ATA)
CD-ROM: 8x ATAPI (connected to audio card)
Video: integrated 256KB Cirrus Logic
Sound: Sound Blaster 16 PnP (long card with CD-ROM interface and no ASP chip)
5.25" and 3.5" floppy drives
Win95 OSR1 installed

I plan on adding the following hardware (or replace existing with) with the following:

Gravis Ultrasound 1MB
Possibly swap out the SB16 for my SBPro2
Upgrade the memory to a rigorous 16MB
Replace the Pentium Overdrive with a 486 Overdrive, as for some reason Doom/Doom II locks up the computer.
Possibly a good ISA video card
Roland LAPC-I or SCC1 if I can acquire either (preferably the latter, as I have a CM-32L)
FreeDOS and WfW 3.1

I think the Overdrive CPU is causing some issues with the interface bus, which could possibly explain the freezing in Doom.

Reply 1 of 21, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, got DOS and Windows installed fine, graphics drivers installed for Win3.1 on the Cirrus board (256-color graphics for games like Lode Runner: The Legend Returns). Some odd quirks, though.

The SBP2 seems to cause a considerable level of noise upon reboot until I fire up a game that resets the OPL-3 (or either of the Adlib trackers).

My BocaLANcard 2000 Plus (model BEN400IT) doesn't seem to work on the network (loading the DOS packet driver only displays a MAC address of FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF).

Need to downgrade to a Pentium Ovedrive 75MHz or a 486DX Overdrive, as I seem to have stability issues with the 83MHz version.

No MPU-401 support until my GUS is taken out of storage (thanks to the last release of MegaEM), or when my tax return comes in I purchase a spare Roland interface from someone here or at Quest Studios. (Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 are two games I have that I know need some sort of MPU interface).

Other than that, the system needs just a few minor upgrades to be finished.

Reply 2 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

post a pic or two 😀
I have a desktop PS1/pro system, that I upgraded to 486slc2/40mhz from 386sx20... yours is a later system but I suspect this overdrive upgrade is not quite compatible...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 21, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, here's a few quick ones, as they were done with my phone's camera. One of the inside, one of the PnP network card I'm attempting (and failing miserably) to use.

0203090202-1.jpg

0203090202a-1.jpg

The network card is supposedly a BOCALan 2000 Plus. I've never had success in getting the DOS packet driver to initialize.

Also forgot to mention This old rig now runs a total of 1,040MB of storage space strewn across two 520MB drives. Gotta have the space for mod tracker music.

Reply 5 of 21, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NightSprinter wrote:

Need to downgrade to a Pentium Ovedrive 75MHz or a 486DX Overdrive, as I seem to have stability issues with the 83MHz version.

Is the 486SX/33 soldered onto the mainboard, or does it sit on a socket? In the latter case, you won't need an Overdrive CPU, any normal 5V 486 (e.g.: 486DX2/66) would do.

The integrated Cirrus Logic video is actually quite good for DOS games, shame it only has 256K video RAM. Look if there are video RAM upgrade sockets on the mainboard.
For a video card upgrade, I'd recommend the king of ISA cards: Tseng ET4000 😉

NightSprinter wrote:

The SBP2 seems to cause a considerable level of noise upon reboot until I fire up a game that resets the OPL-3 (or either of the Adlib trackers).

Try playing around with BTTR's Soundblaster Pro mixer program (attached at the end of this post).

NightSprinter wrote:

The network card is supposedly a BOCALan 2000 Plus. I've never had success in getting the DOS packet driver to initialize.

Maybe you'll have more luck with a mainstream card like 3Com 509, Dlink DE220 or Intel EtherExpress.

Reply 6 of 21, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Disk Manager? Well, if anything yes the 486sx is soldered onto the motherboard. There's an Overdrive socket next to it.

There are also some sockets for some sort of SIPP memory near the Overdrive socket. I wasn't sure if this was for cache or to add to the video display.

Reply 7 of 21, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, this is bizarre as hell. My QuickShot game card actually needs a TSR driver (gcard.com) to work at all. It does support speed compensation (up to 75MHz), but unless I start the card up it will not function in DOS or Windows.

Also, according to this system's BIOS, it actually has 1MB of DRAM for the built-in CL-GD5426 graphics. There's also 8KB internal cache and no external. The empty memory sockets are located next to the Overdrive socket.

Reply 8 of 21, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another update: I swapped the Quickshot card out with a Suncom Gameport2000. All my audio oddities in Windows 3.1 and my mouse problems are now gone.

Second update for today: the sound problems in Win3.1 were fixed by updating with the last release of the DOS/Win3.x drivers for the Pro2. They also allow me to actually PLAY my DOS games in Windows. So this makes for a more useful system.

First update for 2/7/2009: Found out the jumper settings for CPU type were wrong. Found a listing of motherboard jumpers online, and system has been running in a very stable manner with the POD83 upgrade. Shame I'm still running an ISA-only riser card.

Update as of 2/8/2009: Well, got the drivers installed for the BOCALAN 2000 (model BEN400IT) card. Works fine, but given I only have the WfWG 3.1 upgrade would anyone know if the 3.11 drivers would have problems?

Reply 9 of 21, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, downloaded the MS Lan Manager so I can get TCP/IP functionality in WFWG 3.1, but now the config utility for the BEN400 card no longer detects the card, and attempting to start Windows up locks the system. Anyone got a suggestion on a card to get (and a good ISA videocard since I apparently can't do more than 800x600x65k on the on-board 1MB)

I did find some MIDIman ISA interfaces on eBay that I hope to get once my tax return comes in.

Reply 10 of 21, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NightSprinter wrote:

...DOS/Win3.1 gaming tower-of-power...

I like this statement. 😀

Reply 11 of 21, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

*laughs* Thanks Malik. I needed a good laugh with the constant frustration I'm getting from an online accounting course. I'll lay out what I have installed, and what I need to acquire:

Installed Cards:

Sound Blaster Pro 2
Suncom Gameport2000 Speed-Compensating Game Card

Planned Card upgrades:

2MB ISA Grahpics card (Something equal to or faster than my CL-5246)
Disk Controller card of some sort (IDE or SCSI)
Gravis Ultrasound (in a 486 I have in storage, will need to retrieve it)
Non-PnP Network card (to use with LAN Manager and WFWG 3.1)
Full MPU-401 Compatible card (I think the MIDIMAN/MusicQuest cards work)

Other than that, I just need a good CRT monitor, four 8MB FP simms, and a good 4x or so CD-ROM to really beef up the system.

Reply 12 of 21, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, now this is an extremely rare moment. I just bought off eBay a Roland SCC-1A card for $11 after shipping. This will give me the SC-55 mode I need, as well as a genuine MPU-401 interface for whatever needs intelligent mode.

Reply 13 of 21, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow! I missed another SCC-1!!! 😁

Reply 14 of 21, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is exactly what I thought! Congrats man.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 15 of 21, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks. Now I need to get a mixer with more inputs. Given I have an MT-32 with a busted LCD, a CM-32L, FB-01, and PSS-680 in addition to the SBPro2 and GUS cards.. two sets of stereo inputs just aren't enough now. 🤐 Now with the BEN400 out of commission, it's time to acquire another card.

What I have left to put into the machine (upon receipt of the SCC-1A) is the following:

Controller card (either SCSI or IDE, I just need something for mainly the CD-ROM and to make use of the top-mounted HDD bay)

Network card (so I can get WFWG3.1 connected to the local network, and possibly browse compatible sites that have the software I need such as Ginosoft's GS-Edit)

Given I already have a built-in 1MB graphics card, should I still consider upgrading (like to the ET4000 someone mentioned), or what else would be worth adding into an ISA-only system?

Reply 16 of 21, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just paid for the SCC-1A. Should arrive by the next weekend. *apologizes to King for making him jealous* 😜

Reply 17 of 21, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, just curious but does anyone know where I can still purchase the Mini-DIN to DIN-5 adapters from? I don't think my SCC-1A will be arriving with any.

Also, what would be the ideal memory and CPU upgrades for the SX33 (given the overdrive socket)? I'm only asking still because I do want this to become a rather kickass 486 box.

Reply 18 of 21, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got the Roland card in. It was actually the standard SCC-1 (not the 1A). Popped it in after resetting the port from 336H to 330H, tested it in Tyrian2K, and installed the standard MPU-401 driver for Win3.x and it's working beautifully.

Still open to suggestions on how to get the mini-DIN cables for it, and what else to outfit the ISA slots with.

Reply 19 of 21, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your 12MB is good enough. 16MB is much better. Consider getting 32MB for a better Windows95 experience. 64MB is luxurious for a 486.

I guess, the more you fill an isa slot, the more you have to juggle with the IRQs and ports. Unless you really need to put something in the slots, don't bother yourself.

Perhaps, you want to add an ISA Network Card?

Try ebay for the DIN cables. Just wondering what you're gonna do with the DIN connection and the scc-1.