VOGONS

First post, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday, I sold the Dell OptiPlex GX110 I recently got and posted photos of. I used some of the money I got from that at the thrift shop and picked up another old computer. This one is a homebuilt system with (gosh, sigh, ughhhhh) a PC Chips motherboard, Athlon XP 1600+ CPU, 64mb Geforce 2mx 400, 40gb hard drive and 512mb PC2100 DDR. I have an Athlon XP 1900+ CPU laying around here somewhere I plan to upgrade the thing with and I plan to replace the GeForce 2MX card with a 32mb dual-head Matrox G400. As soon as I get all the spider webs cleared out, I'll post photos.

BTW, as a nice touch, when I opened the computer's case, I found a Win XP Pro user guide and COA.

Reply 1 of 8, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lucky dog getting XP!! What will you use the system for?

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 2 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With PC Chips? Better check for leaking caps first.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 8, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

🤣, check them on almost any board!

I got crappy ones on a Soyo TISU, ABIT BE6-II and more! Just tried repairing a few on the TISU board, the system powers on but no post, probably need to replace more on the board 🙁

Reply 4 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RogueTrip2012 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

🤣, check them on almost any board!

I got crappy ones on a Soyo TISU, ABIT BE6-II and more! Just tried repairing a few on the TISU board, the system powers on but no post, probably need to replace more on the board 🙁

I've read on badcaps.com that people who do this regularly (lets consider them as the "pro's" in this field 😜) tend to replace all the caps, even the ones that appear to be normal.

Personally, I found out that soldering is definitely not one of my talents 🤣! Soldering 2 wires together and most of the solder just evaporates, drops on the ground...it's just horrible 🤣!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 8, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just tried repairing a few on the TISU board, the system powers on but no post, probably need to replace more on the board

Did you use the right sort of low-ESR caps? Also, check your solder joints and put an ohmmeter across the cap leads make sure there are no shorts... on a lot of boards the traces/power planes are laid out such that the slightest little nick to the PCB enamel around the solder holes can cause a dead short to ground.

I've read on badcaps.com that people who do this regularly (lets consider them as the "pro's" in this field Sticking Tongue Out) tend to replace all the caps, even the ones that appear to be normal.

I personally tend to be lazy, and don't usually bother with the ones on the bottom half of the board, unless there's some obvious need to. The ones around the PCI slots and audio sections and whatnot don't usually go bad, or even if they do, they don't usually prevent a board from booting.

Reply 6 of 8, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old Thrashbarg wrote:
Did you use the right sort of low-ESR caps? Also, check your solder joints and put an ohmmeter across the cap leads make sure th […]
Show full quote

Just tried repairing a few on the TISU board, the system powers on but no post, probably need to replace more on the board

Did you use the right sort of low-ESR caps? Also, check your solder joints and put an ohmmeter across the cap leads make sure there are no shorts... on a lot of boards the traces/power planes are laid out such that the slightest little nick to the PCB enamel around the solder holes can cause a dead short to ground.

I've read on badcaps.com that people who do this regularly (lets consider them as the "pro's" in this field Sticking Tongue Out) tend to replace all the caps, even the ones that appear to be normal.

I personally tend to be lazy, and don't usually bother with the ones on the bottom half of the board, unless there's some obvious need to. The ones around the PCI slots and audio sections and whatnot don't usually go bad, or even if they do, they don't usually prevent a board from booting.

These caps measure good on a ESR meter, but makes me wonder if they aren't "LOW" enough. I was gonna make another order soon to the distributer and ask them if there are better types. I am now on a EPOX EP-3VSA2 motherboard I've replaced over 10 caps on and noticed it has some kind of cold boot issue but don't think it is related to the caps as the system is stable once it is on.

I've also fixed my Gigabyte GA-6VTXE and MSI MS-6309 with the same type of caps without issues and both work great.

Anyways, on the Soyo I only replaced about 5 1000uf 10v with 1000uf 25v, I wonder if the 25v part allowing increased voltage. These were all either just above the AGP slot (2x), the others were by the ram slots (3x). Didn't touch any yet around the cpu as it was just a quick test.

Reply 7 of 8, by emote

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Soldering 2 wires together and most of the solder just evaporates, drops on the ground...it's just horrible

I think the trick is to preheat the wires with the soldering iron for a brief moment before applying any solder.

Reply 8 of 8, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
emote wrote:

Soldering 2 wires together and most of the solder just evaporates, drops on the ground...it's just horrible

I think the trick is to preheat the wires with the soldering iron for a brief moment before applying any solder.

It is better to tin each wire separately with solder, then join them together.

Just about did my whole Soyo TISU board with low ESR caps. Still have memory issues. I have 2x 1500uf 10v caps to replace (from higher ESR caps). Currently posting on the system using the board so atleast the board will work once I trick it into working though so better than a dead board I suppose. I have a feeling once these boards start getting bad caps they cause alot more damage if left uncheck like the ones I had replaced.