Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

However, if you're using XP for only a bit of gaming (so maybe only nlite SP3 and remove some of the other stuff) then XP runs pretty well with 512MB provided you don't go on the net with it.

I wouldn't nlite it. I always tweak my XP installs as a matter of habit and doing so get it down to using only 80-120+mb of ram at idle (depending on which services I need). By doing so I run full SP3 installs pretty snappily on 512mb systems. In fact, I find the bottleneck to be cpu power rather than ram, i.e. a 600mhz cpu with 768mb ram is less snappy than a P4 2.8Ghz with 512mb. Until 2007, my work machine was a 512mb P4 3.0ghz which I used very heavily and my home machine was on 512mb ram until 2006- I even played Oblivion on it (oh shock! horror!).

Could you tell me which tweaks you applied? (maybe a website)
Btw, I could either nlite the tweaks (like I already done in the past) and then tweaks the nlited completed install, right? ;D

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 21 of 31, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My two favourite sites are blackviper http://www.blackviper.com/2008/05/19/black-vi … configurations/

and askvg http://www.askvg.com/master-tutorial-to-make- … -xp-super-fast/

using the tweaks within, XP is super fast, damn bloody responsive and very light on system resources.

Reply 22 of 31, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good work on building a complete Tualatin. I gave up after looking for a decent board for a week. Then low and behold one slipped by me, an Asus Tualatin board WITH a PIII-1.26Ghz Tualatin included (sold for £8.00 on ebay, free postage).

As for the rest of the spec, I would prefer to have run mine with windows 98se, as I see these CPU's as the kings of a directx 7 era, and XP is more Athlon 64 Territory. Also I would have slammed in a Ti500 card. Any of them, they all rock. But my preference would be a gainward or the asus v8200 deluxe - both purely because of the sexy looks.

Apart from that, well done. Hope you enjoy it! 😁

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 23 of 31, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Iris030380 wrote:

Good work on building a complete Tualatin. I gave up after looking for a decent board for a week. Then low and behold one slipped by me, an Asus Tualatin board WITH a PIII-1.26Ghz Tualatin included (sold for £8.00 on ebay, free postage).

Awe man that stinks. Though I've had stuff like that happen to me before (i.e. a shuttle hot-433 rev 4 mobo with 1mb L cache etc... missed that for pretty much pocket change).

As for the rest of the spec, I would prefer to have run mine with windows 98se, as I see these CPU's as the kings of a directx 7 era, and XP is more Athlon 64 Territory. Also I would have slammed in a Ti500 card. Any of them, they all rock. But my preference would be a gainward or the asus v8200 deluxe - both purely because of the sexy looks.

To be honest I would have used the same cards too, but I don't have the coin to drop on one and the only Geforce 3 Ti I have in my collection is the one in the system right now. As for the OS, I picked XP because I already have a decent system thats running 98se (AMD K6-2E+ @600MHz) and the few computers that I had running windows XP died recently and I haven't gotten around to fixing them.

Reply 24 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:

My two favourite sites are blackviper http://www.blackviper.com/2008/05/19/black-vi … configurations/

and askvg http://www.askvg.com/master-tutorial-to-make- … -xp-super-fast/

using the tweaks within, XP is super fast, damn bloody responsive and very light on system resources.

I actually used blackviper's site to nlite my XP's ;D

I will go read both sites as the second one I think I don't know and I haven't been to blackviper's site for ages!

Cheers!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 25 of 31, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd be curious to see what kind of 3dmark 2000 and 2001SE scores you get.

I didn't miss this post, I just took forever to get 3dmark 2001se on my machine. I had a mild stability problem so I increased the voltage to 1.5 from 1.45 and it's running smoothly at 1.52GHz at the moment.
I ran the tests and squeezed out 5978 marks. Honestly I don't know if this is good or bad, but it seems to get the job done so far.

I didn't bother to lighten up winXP so far because I haven't felt a real need to, but I appreciate the posts and info on the subject for when I actually do lightweight version installs (mildly curious as to how much it would impact benchmarking).

Reply 26 of 31, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could upgrade that video card to a 256mb 6800 ultra or so and get much better scores. But I think you like the card you have.

Anyways, when overclocking tualatin, you really need a board which can have a different clock divider for the PCI bus, so you can lock it down to normal speed ( I think there was a Gigabyte or Abit board that could do this). If you don't then your add on cards will be unstable and also your IDE controller. So don't keep any sensitive data on that clocked system. That's probably where the instability is coming from at higher FSB speeds.

I have a Tualatin system myself, specs are.

MB: Asus TUV4X (without on board sound) with beta bios 1006.002
CPU: SL6BY 1.4Ghz w/512kb level 2 cache
RAM: 1.5GB Crucial PC-133 (512mb sticks) running at 5-5-5-2 clocks.
SND: X-Fi xtreme gamer
GFX: either 512MB 7600GS or a Voodoo 3, depending on what I want to play.
Monitor: Hitachi Super Scan 814 (21")
couple 500GB drives, floppy, plextor CDRW, liteon DVDRW

nice little box for what I use it for.

Reply 27 of 31, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could upgrade that video card to a 256mb 6800 ultra or so and get much better scores. But I think you like the card you have.

Yes and no. The only AGP 6800 ultra I have is in a P4 killer (that I still have to get around to working with again) and it's hooked up to a liquid cooling system so it would be a pain to switch. And yes, I love the geforce 3 card. If I really wanted to get into record breaking, then at least I have that as an option though (I still remember the day I bought the 6800ultra, such a beautiful card).

Anyways, when overclocking tualatin, you really need a board which can have a different clock divider for the PCI bus, so you can lock it down to normal speed ( I think there was a Gigabyte or Abit board that could do this).

The board was a Gigabyte (don't know of any Abit boards that could do it) and the model number was :GA-6OXET or the -C version as well... that's the board I'm using, and I forgot to mention that I am using the divider (though I'm probably missing something along the way, because I'm still pretty new to overclocking the pentium III systems).

Edit: That is a NICE system you have there. Makes me jealous a little 😉 . Although 1TB of storage is overkill for me. Well, I'm working on a dual tualatin system as well, possibly as my Floppy Machine II (I really gotta start selling some of these things).

Reply 28 of 31, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your system is nice too, that's a great board you have for OC'ing. Sorry I didn't realize that was the board for it, hehe. I'm jelous of your system a bit too, I'd love to have that motherboard, they are hard to find. I would even get someone to make me a custom cpu block for WC'ing it if I had it, just to see if I could push 1.6ghz on a daily basis and still keep the temps reasonable. I'm using a zalman 6100CU on mine presently, really great air cooler for PIII-S.

Keep tinkering with it, you'll manage. PS there is a thread on xtremesystems where a guy has that board and tualatin, and he has set some records for that proc with it, maybe you could PM him there and get his settings. =]

Yeah I got 1TB on it, but I collect older games and I play tons of them on it, as my win7 box is total overkill for them. Eventually I will run a dual boot on it with win98SE and XP as I found a nice thread on how to get it working with more than 512MB ram, I can post the link to that if you want also.

Cheers.

Reply 29 of 31, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PS there is a thread on xtremesystems where a guy has that board and tualatin, and he has set some records for that proc with it, maybe you could PM him there and get his settings.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to look that one up. 😀

Yeah I got 1TB on it, but I collect older games and I play tons of them on it, as my win7 box is total overkill for them.

Ah, I have a computer with a 250MB hdd, 500MB hdd, and 3TB hdd for that (I took out a few of the other large drives to use in my HTPC, and I'm too poor to buy many more right now).

Eventually I will run a dual boot on it with win98SE and XP as I found a nice thread on how to get it working with more than 512MB ram, I can post the link to that if you want also.

If you would be so kind as to do that, I would be grateful. 😀

Reply 31 of 31, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After installing Win98SE on a different hard drive, I managed to get it to boot all the way at 1.6GHz. I wasn't feeling very ambitious so instead of installing drivers, I just switched back to WinXP at 1.52GHz. I thought that was worth a mention.

Anyway, it gave me some ideas for tweaking the ram timings, and cleaning some of the useless junk off of the hard drive and now I have a 3dMark2001se score of 7142. I would have posted a screen shot but I was transfering it on my floppy and my 3.5" drive decided to eat it. 🙁
(Goodness. I haven't fed that drive in ages, no wonder it was hungry. Currently I'm force-feeding it a ham sandwich.)