VOGONS

First post, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys, after a few months of reading around these boards I thought I might just as well register.

I thought showing off my gaming rig would be a good way to start here 😎

-- Hardware --
Mainboard: MSI MS-6119 BX2, chipset 440BX
CPU : Intel Pentium 2 350MHz, Slot 1
RAM : 2x 128MB, 100Mhz, ECC-registered
Harddrive: Quantum Fireball 6.4GB
Graphics : 3DFX Voodoo3 2000 16MB
Sound : Yamaha YMF719 (SBPro2/WSS/OPL3 compatible)
Monitor : Hewlett-Packard 14" CRT, 800x600 @ 60Hz max
Network : Realtek RTL8139D 100Mb full-duplex

-- Software --
Shell : 4DOS 8.00
XMS mgr. : XMGR + UMBPCI
EMS mgr. : JemmEx

It runs just about anything perfectly, from Crystal Caves to Carmageddon 😀

One thing I'd like to upgrade would be the sound card, with something that has SB16 support. Perhaps a real SB16, however I hate Creative cards.

Other machines I have include an AMD K6 thing which I use as file server, a Pentium 4 for daily use, and an Amstrad CPC6128 with only one floppy disk containing two games.

What do you guys think of it? Hot or Not? 🤣

Last edited by jwt27 on 2011-09-10, 16:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your rig looks quite similar to my very first computer ever (except I decided to get a TNT instead of V2). You can't really go wrong with teh BX 😁

And welcome into the light! I look forward to reading more about you (and your rigs 😁)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 19, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thats a spicy meatball you got there.

If you could, drop ECC-Registered as data isn't mission critical and can gain some performance without it. Get a bigger monitor, my eyes would kill me on 14".

I'm more than likely out of my depth on the soundblaster but I would think that SB Pro 2.0 compatibility with games would support a larger amount of games than the SB16. Although I ordered a SB16 ISA (CT2940) for my S7 rig the other day.

Also as I'm finding it seems some games may have better support with a Voodoo 2 card over a Voodoo 3. Although I fell in love with my Voodoo 3 machine TBH.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 5 of 19, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:

An old rig that does what you want it to perfectly is always welcome around here.

'course once you start tinkering around and trying to build the 'perfect' retro rig, it becomes a never ending cycle 😉 ....

Reply 6 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can run ECC memory without it doing it's ECC thing. I don't think running ECC memory as non-ECC still is slower then non-ECC memory, correct me if I'm wrong.

sgt76 wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

An old rig that does what you want it to perfectly is always welcome around here.

'course once you start tinkering around and trying to build the 'perfect' retro rig, it becomes a never ending cycle 😉 ....

Exactly, there is no "1 rig does it all" rig. That's why I just build heaps of rigs.
If I'm having a LAN party with friends and one of my rigs refuses to run some game for whatever problem, I just say "Just grab another computer from the stack" 😜
It's faster to just try another rig then to try and fix a problem when you're trying to have fun, I do the fixing when I'm by myself, or just accept the rig has a slight limitation.

Last weekend we wanted to play "Z", but it wouldn't really run on XP (I know about the XP patch) so I'm going to build me a couple ME rigs, for LANning games like Z, Quake II, Interstate and maybe Dune 2000 and C&C 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 19, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you all for your replies 😀

RogueTrip2012 wrote:
Thats a spicy meatball you got there. […]
Show full quote

Thats a spicy meatball you got there.

If you could, drop ECC-Registered as data isn't mission critical and can gain some performance without it. Get a bigger monitor, my eyes would kill me on 14".

I'm more than likely out of my depth on the soundblaster but I would think that SB Pro 2.0 compatibility with games would support a larger amount of games than the SB16. Although I ordered a SB16 ISA (CT2940) for my S7 rig the other day.

Also as I'm finding it seems some games may have better support with a Voodoo 2 card over a Voodoo 3. Although I fell in love with my Voodoo 3 machine TBH.

I put the ECC RAM in because those were the only two working 128MB sticks I had lying around. I also have some 256 and 512MB ram sticks which my BIOS detects as 128 and 256MB. The rest is all 64MB and 32MB junk.
Do you think the performance boost with normal RAM would be noticable?

I think the monitor is actually very good for DOS gaming. Games that would look pixelated on a 17" screen look great on this thing. The only problem it has is the brightness control, it keeps changing every few minutes.

And the SB16, you're saying that it doesn't have SBPro2 support? I always thought the SB series were pretty much backwards compatible.

I haven't had any problems with the Voodoo3 card as of yet, except with the 3Dfx versions of Blood and Shadow Warrior, they don't run at all. But I don't care about that, the Build engine was never really made for Glide anyway.
Do you know specifically which games would run better on a Voodoo2?
The card I used before this one was a Voodoo Banshee, and I can't say I notice any preformance difference between the two. I guess my CPU is the bottleneck here.

sgt76 wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

Well, there are some exceptions ofcourse. I already know that the perfect DOS machine does not exist. My experience is that once you have one game running like it should, there's always some other game that stops working. 😒

Reply 8 of 19, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, I mean just disable ECC from BIOS if you can.

Love gaming on my 21" CRT monitor, was playing Redneck Rampage on it @ 1024x768 last night. abit a lil slowdown so I'll probably drop it down to 800x600.

For the brightness issue. Is the brightness control a rotating knob? If so try this. Unplug the monitor power cord. rotate the knob back and forth fully for a few minutes. See if problem goes away. Sounds like the control has oxidization and needs cleaned (hence this trick). If this doesn't fix it might need to get some contact cleaner/lube on the knob.

On the SB, reading on other threads it seems like others like compatibility of SBPro over SB16. I was reading that SB16 can support SBpro digital effects only in mono. Depending on what games you play this might not mean anything.

re-reading your OP, I see there is no windows OS installed, only dos. I was meaning V2 is a bit more supported than V3 in some windows games. Although I'm thinking some games like Tomb Raider maybe better supported under V2 in dos.

Edit: On my voodoo 2 I did get Shadow Warrior and blood working with the 3dfx patch, not worth it though.

Last edited by RogueTrip2012 on 2011-08-16, 23:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 19, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah the SB16 isn't "officially" backwards compatible with the SB PRO, only original SB. I'm not sure which games are affected though. I've run heaps of games with my CT2800 and haven't run into any problems.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 10 of 19, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

Sorry, I mean just disable ECC from BIOS if you can.

I could try that, but how much of a performance improvement do you think I can expect?

Love gaming on my 21" CRT monitor, was playing Redneck Rampage on it @ 1024x768 last night. abit a lil slowdown so I'll probably drop it down to 800x600.

For the brightness issue. Is the brightness control a rotating knob? If so try this. Unplug the monitor power cord. rotate the knob back and forth fully for a few minutes. See if problem goes away. Sounds like the control has oxidization and needs cleaned (hence this trick). If this doesn't fix it might need to get some contact cleaner/lube on the knob.

The control pot stil works smoothly like it should, so I don't think that's the problem.
When I turn it on, the screen goes from black to normal in a few seconds, then it slowly gets brighter and brighter. Then I turn the brightness down to normal and everything is fine for a few minutes. After that becomes darker again, I turn the brightness up, and after a few minutes it is too bright again. This keeps repeating for about half an hour before it finally reaches a stable level.
I was thinking it could be some bad capacitor somewhere, or the tube might be dying already. Judging from the amout of light it produces, however, I don't think that is the case.

On the SB, reading on other threads it seems like others like compatibility of SBPro over SB16. I was reading that SB16 can support SBpro digital effects only in mono. Depending on what games you play this might not mean anything.

I think most games I have support SB16 mode, but I'm not sure. I'll check that first, I couldn't possibly live without stereo. But then, 8bit at 22khz isn't exactly great either. 😐

re-reading your OP, I see there is no windows OS installed, only dos. I was meaning V2 is a bit more supported than V3 in some windows games. Although I'm thinking some games like Tomb Raider maybe better supported under V2 in dos.

Havent'had any problems running Tomb Raider yet, framerate is almost always at 30fps (and that's where the frame limiter kicks in). GTA and Carmageddon run fine as well, although Carma is a bit slow at times, but I think I can blame the CPU for that.

Edit: On my voodoo 2 I did get Shadow Warrior and blood working with the 3dfx patch, not worth it though.

Just what I expected 😎

Reply 11 of 19, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just discovered SpeedSys, and of course I immediately tried it out on this machine:

sstimg01.png

Also tried disabling ECC to see if it was any faster, here's the result...

eccon.png

eccoff.png

Reply 13 of 19, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember reading reviews back in the day about non-ECC memory was usually 5% faster. Just googling and found a crucial memory page saying newer memory is 2% slower with ECC.

Back in the day 5% could be the difference of running CAS3 vs CAS2 speeds.

Dunno, maybe someone else can bench ECC vs. Non-ECC and see if speedsys shows improvement. I don't have any ECC memory though.

Either way, only a small improvement.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 14 of 19, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you adjust the multiplier on your Pentium II 350?
There are a few DOS games that prefer 200MHz or lower, with multiplier and FSB adjustments you can go there.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 15 of 19, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There should be no difference between ECC and non-ECC. The difference will be between unbuffered (usually non-ECC) and registered (usually with ECC).

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 16 of 19, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

Can you adjust the multiplier on your Pentium II 350?
There are a few DOS games that prefer 200MHz or lower, with multiplier and FSB adjustments you can go there.

You mean the runtime error 200 bug? That can usually be fixed with patch programs. The multiplier on this cpu is locked so I can only adjust the FSB (from 66 to 133), so there's no way of downclocking it below 233MHz.

I think 350MHz is a good all-round speed, old games don't run too fast and newer games are not too slow. Except for Carmageddon and Magic Carpet on max settings, they do not run very smooth.

GL1zdA wrote:

There should be no difference between ECC and non-ECC. The difference will be between unbuffered (usually non-ECC) and registered (usually with ECC).

When I get my SDRAM back (a friend borrowed it) I'll benchmark it against some unbuffered RAM 😀

Reply 17 of 19, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:

You mean the runtime error 200 bug? That can usually be fixed with patch programs. The multiplier on this cpu is locked so I can only adjust the FSB (from 66 to 133), so there's no way of downclocking it below 233MHz.

I think 350MHz is a good all-round speed, old games don't run too fast and newer games are not too slow. Except for Carmageddon and Magic Carpet on max settings, they do not run very smooth.

That runtime 200 bug yes, I was aware of the patch, but also:
- Some sierra games: have malfunctioning soundblaster detection above 200MHz.
- Dune 2: gives me no speech above 333MHz
- Star Control 1: Adlib sound malfunctions above 150MHz.
- Then some games just run too fast and can benefit from lower system speed in combination with Throttle/Moslo etc.

Still I agree, most DOS games I tested work fine at a speed like 400MHz.

It seems Carmageddon runs fine at 200MHz when using 3DFX acceleration on a voodoo 3.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 18 of 19, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:
That runtime 200 bug yes, I was aware of the patch, but also: - Some sierra games: have malfunctioning soundblaster detection ab […]
Show full quote
jwt27 wrote:

That runtime 200 bug yes, I was aware of the patch, but also:
- Some sierra games: have malfunctioning soundblaster detection above 200MHz.
- Dune 2: gives me no speech above 333MHz
- Star Control 1: Adlib sound malfunctions above 150MHz.
- Then some games just run too fast and can benefit from lower system speed in combination with Throttle/Moslo etc.

Still I agree, most DOS games I tested work fine at a speed like 400MHz.

It seems Carmageddon runs fine at 200MHz when using 3DFX acceleration on a voodoo 3.

There are indeed a few games that won't detect a soundblaster on my system, or only sometimes, and slowdown utilities don't help. Not sure if it's a speed issue, or maybe these only work on a real SB card.

Carmageddon runs very well and is perfectly playable, yes, but setting the FSB to 133 improves FPS a lot and makes it runs much smoother. Same with Magic Carpet and Build engine games. I'm thinking of installing a P3-450 or 600 for these games but I'm afraid it will break others.