VOGONS

Brand New You're Retro (P3 1.4 anachronism)

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lots of us have been through this. Just about everything I have in my vintage PC's I "had" at one time and got rid of....only to buy again when I got the vintage gaming bug. Of course, my MAIN PC now used for IL-2 is probably vintage at about 3-4YO. Good job!

Will pay $$$ for:

caching ISA I/O-IDE controller

PM me for my list of trade-ables...

Reply 21 of 23, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's why I'm not throwing out anything else - seems like I always regret it later 🙁

Reply 22 of 23, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tweaked the system a bit. I got tired of the Golden Orb being so loud (and I couldn't re-find the post referencing a fan voltage adapter one of you posted) so I gave another HS/F a shot. It's much quieter, and seems to do the job, even though it's not a very beefy heatsink.

I also swapped the Ti-4200 for a MX-440 while I was going on my silent-PC kick. Even with GeForce-2-like performance, it still does the job for the games I'm playing.

I also added some new pictures, including one with my newly-acquired 14" LCD.

Reply 23 of 23, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know on e-Gad you can source some 60mm x 38mm "Intel" branded fans that have a 3-wire plug. They appear to have a little thermistor on them that regulates the RPM w/o needing a PWM connector on the motherboard. I've got two of these on my Alpha heatsink in my GLide PC. Really great fans, I recommend, if you've got the room and an application for it.

Will pay $$$ for:

caching ISA I/O-IDE controller

PM me for my list of trade-ables...