VOGONS

First post, by The_YongGrand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there,

I'm here to show off my uh.. humble rig. I picked up those parts from auction sales and from computer stores which seemed to keep them many years back.

Here is the main specs:

Asus VX-97 mainboard.
Pentium 200MMX processor with onboard fan.
Cheap Opti soundcard.
S3 Virge 4MB graphics card.
Network card (10/100).
4.3GB HDD (Samsung).

I used to have an Asus TX-97 and another one which looks like a VX-97 but it's using SiS chipset instead.

Reply 3 of 9, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All these boards are K6Plus ready.. You can find patches BIOSes here:

http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

All you need is a K6+ CPU, its about 10 Euros or circa 13 US$ @ the bay. You can then change the multiplier from 2 to 6 in the config.sys (no TSR!) and simulate different systems. This makes it a really good combo for DOS games as well as many W9X games. The ASUS boards work great with the K6plus!

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 4 of 9, by The_YongGrand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FGB wrote:

All these boards are K6Plus ready.. You can find patches BIOSes here:

http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

All you need is a K6+ CPU, its about 10 Euros or circa 13 US$ @ the bay. You can then change the multiplier from 2 to 6 in the config.sys (no TSR!) and simulate different systems. This makes it a really good combo for DOS games as well as many W9X games. The ASUS boards work great with the K6plus!

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll put up the photos here later as I'm working on something else.

Unfortunately, the RAM is the bottleneck in my PC - only 32MB EDO RAM (4x8MB). I accidently sold off the 32+32MB EDO sticks when I sold another one of the older PC.

Actually, I have another retro dual-PIII and a C2D PC (I know it's not retro enough, but the first versions of the C2Ds are awesome) coming soon. These are all bought at a very minimal cost.

Reply 5 of 9, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hooked my MMX system up to the internet last night- big mistake. Windows 98 = 7 viruses. 🤣 what was I thinking?? From now on I shall network transfer drivers and game patches. Or at least burn them onto a CD-R.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 6 of 9, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What did you do to get infected so quickly?

My machines are all Internet connected, never had an issue. Sure these "viruses" aren't just tracking cookies or something stupid like that?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 7 of 9, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most likely. It's a used PC that belonged to someone else. I've never actually scanned it until now. I've had it since 2005. I should probably scan it a little more often!

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 9 of 9, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

What did you do to get infected so quickly?

He went online .....

I remember back in the days of AOL browsing and wireplay, it was like ... Oh shit I got a virus! .... that was once or twice a year. These days, try hooking up a PC to the web with no avast and see how many minutes you can stay clean just browsing ... say ... Holiday sites. Good luck!

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66