VOGONS

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's time for me to start putting together my 386. I've been collecting parts for 6 months for this build as a complete system never shows up here locally. My plan is to play mainly MT-32 games on this system. I don't have much experience of the games from this area, so this will be something new to explore.

Anyway, here are the compulsory list:

- Intel 386DX 33mhz
- Asus 386C-ISA motherboard with 64k L2 cache (SIS chipset)
- 8MB 30pin FPM RAM (8x1MB)
- ColorImage ET4000AX 1MB VGA
- Soundblaster Pro 2 CT1600 (thanks Ratfink for your sale!)
- Midiman MM-401 (for connection with my CM-32L)
- Adaptec 1542C ISA SCSI controller
- 9GB IBM Deskstar 50-pin SCSI harddrive
- Toshiba 2X Caddy SCSI CD-ROM
- Mitsumi CRMC-LU005S 1x CD-ROM (mainly for fun)
- 3com Etherlink III 10mbit ISA network card
- Generic LPT & COM ISA card

Some pictures:
IMG_0266.JPG
Very happy with the motherboard and it is ASUS quality straight through. External battery bought on Ebay (3.6V)
IMG_0263.JPG
IMG_0264.JPG
IMG_0270.JPG
IMG_0262.JPG
IMG_0261.JPG
IMG_0269.JPG
IMG_0267.JPG
Some old CD-ROMS. The Toshiba reads CD-R material, but not CD-RW.
IMG_0271.JPG
Some of you might remember this case from my 486 build, but I figures this case is more "right" for a 386. Also it was once featured on "Computer Chronicles" and there they put in 386 hardware 😀 It is a bit yellowed, and I've been trying to match it with the parts installed.
IMG_0272.JPG
A bit of work to do.... Missing some extra raisers for the longer mainboard, so can't mount everything yet

Last edited by vetz on 2013-10-21, 21:06. Edited 1 time in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 9, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great specs - very similar to mine! Great motherboard that, excellent quality like you say. What OS and what game will you start with?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks!

I learn from the best 😉

Plan is to install MS-DOS 6.22 and Win 3.11. I was also playing with the idea to install my full size ISA Creative VideoBlaster MP400. It's an MPEG player card for even more fun. System requirements state a 486 25mhz SX is required, but maybe a 33DX with good specs will work?

Games will be the Wing Commander, Monkey Island, Sierra games to begin with.

Reply 4 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very nice!

Not sure about that MPEG card though 😀

That case looks very familiar. I'm sure my second computer ever, a 486DLC40, had that case as well...

SCSI is also very nice...

By the way, what's a good source for these crystal oscillators if you want to change clockspeed?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Not sure about that MPEG card though 😀

I'll test it out and report back. There are almost no practical use of the card anyway. I do not intend to watch VIDEO-CD movies on a 386 😜

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

SCSI is also very nice...

I had to pull out the SCSI drive from my 486 as SCSI won't work on my 486 VLB motherboard when the Pentium Overdrive is installed for some reason (probably because of L1 Write-Back issues). I'll be going with a quick IDE drive for that system. 9GB harddrive is overkill for a 386 system, but the drive is very silent which is what matters. The other option is going with CF cards, but SCSI is more cool 😀

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

By the way, what's a good source for these crystal oscillators if you want to change clockspeed?

No idea. I don't intend to change the clockspeed to 40mhz anyway as any game that requires a faster system can be played either on my 486 system or my Compaq. I also love that the warranty sticker between the motherboard and the CPU has not been broken. This board was delivered with the 386DX, and it has never been removed 😀

Reply 6 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I got some 386 gear underway and I think 40 MHz might be too fast 😀

I won't be building a PC however, just playing on my test bench, documenting it all and tucking it away in a ready-to-go kit/box for whenever I want to play with it.

For me the 25 and 33 was always the true 386. The 40 MHz model is cool but I never had that emotional vintage connection to it. I remember they had Wing Commander in a computer store on that machine (or was it WC2) and it did feel too fast.

Can't wait to play with all these new (old?) toys 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 9, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

9GB HDD for a 386?Isn't that kind of too much?

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 8 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PcBytes wrote:

9GB HDD for a 386?Isn't that kind of too much?

Yes, it is overkill, but it is pretty silent and quick. 50pin SCSI drives are very expensive on Ebay as well, so I'm not getting another one unless I happen to get one for free locally.