VOGONS

Reply 20 of 29, by misterjones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ran a pair of PPro machines for yeeeaaarrss. The one I loved most was my old IBM PC365, dual processor capable (just had to get the VRM for it). I had a pair of PPro 200MHz/1MB cache processors in it, 512MB of RAM, Matrox G200 PCI, and loved every minute playing with it. I scored a P2-333MHz overdrive processor for it and was hellbent on finding a second one. Sadly, I had to sell it to pay some bills but it went to a guy in the local Linux User's Group so I'm sure it's probably still running. The other one was my Linux server, an HP Netserver E40. I ran it until 2007 with a PPro200/1MB processor in it. I finally tossed it after repeated attempts to sell it.

Reply 22 of 29, by misterjones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

Shouldn't have tossed it with the price of PPro CPUs just going up and up...

Back then I had simply figured I had done everything I could with it. It had SCSI drives (originally simple SCSI, then I progressively upgraded to U160. Still have that card and the drive I used for it), I had an S3 Virge GX in it for the longest then upgraded to a Matrox G400 Dual Head PCI card (which I also still have), added a CD burner, dual port intel nic, and ran various flavors of Linux on it. As they got more bloated and slower, it got to a point where I just said it's time to replace it.

in hindsight, I should have pulled the processor along with everything else. Those 200MHz PPro's with 1MB of cache were pretty hard to come by even back then.

Reply 23 of 29, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
misterjones wrote:

in hindsight, I should have pulled the processor along with everything else. Those 200MHz PPro's with 1MB of cache were pretty hard to come by even back then.

Hehe, hindsight is everything 😉 I said no to buy a 2nd hand Neon 250 AGP in 2002 for 10 dollars.... 😒

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 24 of 29, by misterjones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:
misterjones wrote:

Hehe, hindsight is everything 😉 I said no to buy a 2nd hand Neon 250 AGP in 2002 for 10 dollars.... 😒

I tossed my old Matrox M3D, figuring I had no more use for it (along with a Diamond FireGL 2000, Hercules Thriller 3D, Real3D Starfighter, STB Glyder MAX II, and a few other cards)

Reply 25 of 29, by Tr3vor42532

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You should tear apart that old AT PSU and see if there is a blown cap.

I trust my old AT PSUs, I tear them apart every couple of months to keep them clean and look for bulging caps so that nothing is about to go boom. I think that those old PSUs are part of the experience of using old computers, so I like to keep them around.

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Tr3vor42532

Reply 26 of 29, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Siemens Nixdorf Scenic Pro C6 (PPro 180), and would be cautious about it if I were you. It has a proprietary PSU connection (AT + additional 3.3V connector), thus you can't use a new PSU with it. Also, it has got only one ISA slot on its riser card (your riser may be different). And it only supports rare EDO RAM in DIMM housing.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 27 of 29, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the info, misterjones, I would love to have this IBM machine, sounds really nice..

bristlehog, thanks for your advice,
yes, I noticed it is a non standard PSU but you can replace it with a standard ATX PSU if you mind the voltages and attach them to the board. There are ready to use adaptors (with the additional connectors) available in the aftermarket that work but one can make an adapter without greater problems. All you need is a soldering iron and the connectors / cables.
My riser card is different, yes, I can plugin 2 ISA cards and will use them both with my sound cards.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 28 of 29, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bristlehog wrote:

I have a Siemens Nixdorf Scenic Pro C6 (PPro 180), and would be cautious about it if I were you. It has a proprietary PSU connection (AT + additional 3.3V connector), thus you can't use a new PSU with it. Also, it has got only one ISA slot on its riser card (your riser may be different). And it only supports rare EDO RAM in DIMM housing.

That ram you're refering to is 168-pin edo ram. I see there is quite a bit of it on ebay

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 29 of 29, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

That ram you're refering to is 168-pin edo ram. I see there is quite a bit of it on ebay

Its dirt cheap to buy, mostly because Pre-G3 PCI PowerMacs use it for memory. I have a ton of it here from machine pulls over the years.