VOGONS

First post, by NiPPonD3nZ0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello fellow Vogonists...

Yet again another build from Portugal..
As you all can see by one of my posts here on this forum, I have a lot of "crap" laying around just waiting for me to have the time to assemble it, and stuff keeps on coming in.
A good friend of mine had a client with some old crap that it wanted to get rid of, and he remembered me so I went ahead and picked it all up some weekends back.

The chassis that was given to me was one I believe to be manufactured by DEER, and a very popular chassis over here in Portugal by the end of the last century!

WP_20150324_017.jpg

It came complete with a computer inside, a Pentium III 933MHz on a PCCHips M754LMR (those crappy ones with a ALi chipset that have a nVidia Riva TnT2 onchip) and 196MB PC133 RAM, a 2GB Western Digital HDD and a 48x CD-Rom drive and a 250Watt DEER ATX Power supply (being this another indicator of the chassis also being a DEER manufatured one).

None of this hardware, besides the chassis and PSU, was of my intention to use right now, so I dismantled it and gave the chassis and PSU a good cleaning so I could assemble the machine I want to live inside of it!

The plastic was yellowed by time and I like it that way, the "patina" on it looks good in my eyes and just a good pass of some isopropilic alcohol to removed dirt and crap over it led it to a nice, unscratched chassis, without rust.

Now, with the chassis cleaned I turned to the PSU!
WP_20150324_010.jpg

Opened it up just to check for blown caps and... there they were... I know these PSU far too well
WP_20150324_008.jpg

WP_20150324_009.jpg

Time to get the good capacitors bin!
WP_20150324_019.jpg

And here we have, a recaped power supply!
WP_20150324_018.jpg

I intend to buy a capacimeter one of these days, but for now I just have to trust these old ones!

Now, the good stuff!

I intend to build a Pentium MMX based, ATX system, and I have this mobo to base the system on:
Intel TC430HX
WP_20150324_011.jpg

The pictures I found of these on the Interwebs show a full compliment of ports, including USB ones, but the one I have does not have them, nor the onboard S3 Graphics chip
WP_20150324_015.jpg

But it has the onboard Yamaha OPL3 sound card
WP_20150324_016.jpg

The I/O Shield was a bitch to find. Its a standart one, and I have a ton of them, but none of them have the USB Ports, COM2 port and Ethernet still closed
WP_20150324_020.jpg

But I found one 😀

And so the board went into the chassis
WP_20150324_021.jpg

Then, RAM... this board only takes SIMM, either EDO or Fast Page, so I grabbed the biggest ones I have in house

So they are 2x16MB EDO RAM and 2x8MB Fast Page RAM to a total of 48MB
WP_20150324_014.jpg

And then it was CPU time. I have a few Pentium CPU's, raging from a Pentium 75 to a 233MHZ, and I wanted to get the 233MHz in this baby, but I cannot get it to boot here, but it works fine on my QDI Titanium IIB board, so, there it stayed.

This one took the second best: A Pentium MMX 200MHz
WP_20150324_028.jpg

Its a retail one, I believe, judging by the glued heatsink on it
WP_20150324_029.jpg

The fan cable was MIA, so I adapted a WOL cable from a old LAN card to a 3PIN header to connect to the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard, and that is why the cable is wraped, to hide the heat shrink on the leads 😀

Then, time to storage!
I think its a nice machine to apply some SCSI goodness, so time for Adaptec to jump in with a PM2554U controller card, based on a Intel i960 chipset!
WP_20150324_022.jpg

Then, some blasphemy... 2x4GB on RAID 0 SCSI Apple branded IBM HDD thronwed in there, leftovers from a dead Power Machintosh G3 I have laying around!
WP_20150324_024.jpg

Yep, that SCSI cable is a bitch to manage 😁
WP_20150324_025.jpg

S'more blasphemy:
Apple 24x IDE CD-Rom drive (Hitachi build drive)
WP_20150324_023.jpg

Then, graphics! I have ALOT of PCI S3 Graphics, Cirrus Logic, SiS, Matrox and even a couple of ATi ones, but settled on one of this 2 Diamond Stealth 64
WP_20150324_026.jpg

To round up this baby, a ethernet card, and as I don't own any ISA LAN cards, have to settle on one of the 3COM PCi cards I have laying around!
WP_20150324_027.jpg

I have yet to install an OS on this baby, but will have Windows 95 probably!
Trying to find a licence of this OS is a pain in the ass these days... I had a few my dad tossed in the bin a few years ago... shame on him.. 🙁

Sorry for the long post, will be coming back with updates soon!

Best regards from Portugal!

Reply 2 of 16, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice system 😀

Using the P200 MMX and not the P233 MMX will likely save you from those Pascal compiler CPU speed bugs some good games are infested with.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 4 of 16, by NiPPonD3nZ0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

Very nice! You put it lots of work in that machine so far.

Thank you!!!
"No pain, no gain!"

Skyscraper wrote:

Very nice system 😀

Using the P200 MMX and not the P233 MMX will likely save you from those Pascal compiler CPU speed bugs some good games are infested with.

have heard about those bugs, never had to deal with them!

Reply 5 of 16, by NiPPonD3nZ0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
obobskivich wrote:

Agreed - very nice setup. What kind of disk performance does the RAID array get?

Have absolutely no ideia!!! No OS installed yet, and its the first time I have some HDD attached to this controller!

Those SCSI are LOUD. When I reccaped the PSU I was thinking "Should get some Noiseblocker fans to quiet this beast down" but then I heard those HDD... forget about it! I have a recorded clip of the PC POSTing that I yet have to upload to Youtube ... This photos and clip were taken last weekend, just today I had a couple minutes to put them here!

New job, no time!

Reply 6 of 16, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good to see another fellow countryman bitten by the retro bug. I like your Board and you mention you have also a QDI Titanium IIB which is also the very same board i'm using on my Socket 7 Build, which is documented here on VOGONS.
Personally i would ditch SCSI storage and go for something quieter but i also like that you are using what you have and you seem to be a resourceful chap. I'm also a big fan of YMF chipsets, so you'll have awesome SB Pro Compatibility and save an ISA slot for other sound standards if you like to play with that.

Força nisso, um abraço e boa sorte!

Reply 7 of 16, by NiPPonD3nZ0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
carlostex wrote:

Good to see another fellow countryman bitten by the retro bug. I like your Board and you mention you have also a QDI Titanium IIB which is also the very same board i'm using on my Socket 7 Build, which is documented here on VOGONS.
Personally i would ditch SCSI storage and go for something quieter but i also like that you are using what you have and you seem to be a resourceful chap. I'm also a big fan of YMF chipsets, so you'll have awesome SB Pro Compatibility and save an ISA slot for other sound standards if you like to play with that.

Força nisso, um abraço e boa sorte!

Obrigado!

I've once read your topic and tought "I've got a board just like that!!!" 😀 Mine has a 233MHz Pentium MMX on it and it's assembled on a computer! 😀

I've drooled a bit on your Gravis Ultrasound... want one... but they're hard to find...

best regards

Reply 8 of 16, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NiPPonD3nZ0 wrote:
Obrigado! […]
Show full quote

Obrigado!

I've once read your topic and tought "I've got a board just like that!!!" 😀 Mine has a 233MHz Pentium MMX on it and it's assembled on a computer! 😀

I've drooled a bit on your Gravis Ultrasound... want one... but they're hard to find...

best regards

🤣 Yeah the GUS'es are special cards, i actually have my fair share of GUS'es right now. I have one with me and a couple of bare Classics of other revisions, a boxed MAX and a boxed ACE not to mention a bare PnP.

I'm hoping that in the future i might trade the boxed MAX for an original 8bit dual OPL2 Pro Audio Spectrum.

EDIT: Hey 1111 post... I wonder if this is a good/bad omen. Nah... don't believe that kind of crap 🤣

Reply 9 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do blown capacitors often look like that? It looks like a giant blob of white glue – and there's so much of it! The ones I am familiar with are usually just a bit reddish-brown.

Reply 10 of 16, by NiPPonD3nZ0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Do blown capacitors often look like that? It looks like a giant blob of white glue – and there's so much of it! The ones I am familiar with are usually just a bit reddish-brown.

No, the white stuff is glue. Manufacturers usualy use blobs of glue to keep crap from moving around during transport, I guess.

Those capacitors were not leaking, at least they werent yet, but if I let them stay in there, nothing would guarantee me that they would not leak.

Reply 11 of 16, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How can you tell if a capacitor is blown? What must I look out for?
I have a sound card that is not working (refer this post - Aztech Sound Galaxy Waverider 32+ not working)
The DOS utilities aren't picking up the card and I'm fearing that somewhere, something has blown. I'm new to this but, I'm hoping it might be a capacitor as it seems relatively easy to replace?

Reply 12 of 16, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

Mainly for the pics. Look for bulged tops on your elco caps. They should be dead flat. Leaking around the base is bad too of course.

Without reading it all through again, I'll comment that site is mostly useful, but a little over-enthusiastic; keep your lights on.

As for your card, keep in mind that any mishandling in the past may have caused static death for the chips.

Reply 15 of 16, by NiPPonD3nZ0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm back. I've found a CD-ROM of Windows 95 (The first edition, cannot even create partitions larger than 2GB) and after installing it, I've found that there are some problems with IRQ's...

The SCSI card is conflicting with the VGA card... need a few more days to deal with it, as I have very limited time!

Reply 16 of 16, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NiPPonD3nZ0 wrote:
... Now, with the chassis cleaned I turned to the PSU! http://s19.postimg.org/vkz4ol037/WP_20150324_010.jpg […]
Show full quote

... Now, with the chassis cleaned I turned to the PSU!
WP_20150324_010.jpg

Opened it up just to check for blown caps and... there they were... I know these PSU far too well
WP_20150324_008.jpg

WP_20150324_009.jpg

Time to get the good capacitors bin!
WP_20150324_019.jpg

And here we have, a recaped power supply!
WP_20150324_018.jpg

OH DEER! 😁

These PSUs got a bad reputation for unreliability, but once we replace the junk chinese caps with decent jap ones, and improve a couple details around, they work fairly well. Voltage regulation is adequate and ripple is decent (provided the specimen in cuestion got PI coils in the secondary, as the one in the pics). Efficiency is old style low, about 75%, but this ain't critical when propelling ancient hardware which demands little juice.

Here's one I restored with Panasonics and Rubycons, plus extra ventilation and input filtering and other touches:

NBdwmnWX.jpg

QtDDhpmF.jpg

j51PSRnb.jpg

Let the air flow!