VOGONS

First post, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is the PC I love so much and use for all ms-dos games. It's a 1995 Hewlett-Packard VECTRA VE 4/66. Originally it came with a 486 DX2 66Mhz and 16MB RAM, 400MB Seagate HDD and onboard S3 Trio64. Initially all I did was to install a Soundblaster 16 and a CD-ROM, but then I replaced the HDD for a bigger one, and most recently I downgraded the cpu.

These are a few of my favourite things:

• The CMOS battery is easily replaceable -not soldered.
    It has PCI slots.
    It allready came with one of the most ms-dos compatible VGA cards, the Trio64
    And you can select the refresh rate for ms-dos in the BIOS
    Detects CD-ROM automaticaly
    It has LBA (currently with a 4GB Seagate - two 2GB partition and ms-dos 6.22)

Enjoy!

P6070170_zpsxcgwik4f.jpg

P6070169_zpsfsqpvzlg.jpg
Front with just enough space for a floppy drive and a cd-rom.

P6070177_zpsdxgdsa1g.jpg
Here's a look at the inside.

P6070184_zpsladfioy5.jpg
BIOS

P6070181_zpsywozfcgx.jpg
Current CPU

P6100190_zps2jhcwjco.jpg
That's it!

Reply 2 of 15, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Neat and cute and well-loved PC! Very nice white plastic with shaggy surface and OMG the quad speed drive!

For some reason, my brain can't read "Vectra" from the first try, I always see "Vecha" 😀

filipetolhuizen wrote:

Now that's a funny message on the sticker.

Does it mean "Technological shock is best served with beer"?

Last edited by RacoonRider on 2015-06-11, 05:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 15, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd be throwing in a AM5x86-133 into that system would be a better match for the capabilities of the S3 TRIO64, its pretty much the best of the video cards of that era for that system.

Reply 4 of 15, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would probably have left the DX2/66 since that is probably *the* 486 (in combination with a VLB video card, but a PCI one should have the same speed). Tons of games are targeted at that speed. I suppose a lot of those won't run too good with a DX33. Since it is in the screenshot, how fast does Doom run?

@dirkmirk: With a 133MHz 486 you could as well use a slow Pentium.

Reply 5 of 15, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Close enough. Literally it would be: "I feel the technological shock with a beer in my hand"

Reply 6 of 15, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
idspispopd wrote:

I would probably have left the DX2/66 since that is probably *the* 486 (in combination with a VLB video card, but a PCI one should have the same speed). Tons of games are targeted at that speed. I suppose a lot of those won't run too good with a DX33. Since it is in the screenshot, how fast does Doom run?

@dirkmirk: With a 133MHz 486 you could as well use a slow Pentium.

This build is intended to substitute my first PC a 386, but with more grunt. Mainly for late 80's and early 90's .
I tested Doom and Need for speed out of curiosity and they are playable, but both are a better experience with dx2 66. I could be wrong but I think both can be played on a Win9x system (a faster system) so I don't need them to be on this pure ms-dos PC.
I remember playing Doom on a 386 33MHz and PC speaker, that was 😎

Reply 7 of 15, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Close enough. Literally it would be: "I feel the technological shock with a beer in my hand"

Yep, that's right. The sticker came with a modem.

Reply 9 of 15, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think we're quite a few here on vogons 😀 (um abraço filipe!)
I did some more tests and at 25Mhz I can't stand to play doom. It's playable, but too much slowdown, when I reload the shotgun I just forget the aliens and stare at the piece admiring it for a while, and only then shooting some more aliens. So, for this particular system 33MHz is perfect, because it has a very acceptable performance on doom and I still can watch some loading screens in older games that wiuld fly by otherwise. Maybe I'll test with a 2x25MHz config.

Reply 12 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also think the CPU is a strange choice, but nice to see it getting some love. Most jump straight to a DX2/66, DX4/100 or 586.
Indeed Doom, NFS 1 will work happily on any DOS/Win9x PC so if you have a faster dos machine then you'll be fine.
A SB Pro is more period correct for 386 games with the reverse stereo channel problem but really depends on what games you are going to use on this PC

Reply 13 of 15, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I know. Actually I'm considering setting it to 25MHz. I just want the experience to be close to my original one, so that includes being able to watch some loading screens/waiting for the game/level to load. Some kind of zen therapy some would say, other would talk about masochism. Anyway I can allways go back to the original 66MHz DX2 if I get bored/stressed too much.

stunts
warlords
lemmings
rampart
flashback
wolfenstein 3D
prince of persia
lost vikings
fury of the furries
outrun
lotus
testdrive
micromachines
rick dangerous
prehistorik
california games
many more...

Reply 14 of 15, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

Also think the CPU is a strange choice, but nice to see it getting some love. Most jump straight to a DX2/66, DX4/100 or 586.
Indeed Doom, NFS 1 will work happily on any DOS/Win9x PC so if you have a faster dos machine then you'll be fine.
A SB Pro is more period correct for 386 games with the reverse stereo channel problem but really depends on what games you are going to use on this PC

I've never seen TNFS run at a playable performance on a 486, even my own DX4. Unless, are you talking about at low res? I find the graphics in TNFS to have too much detail to work at 320x240, it becomes too muddy.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.