286 from my past

Topic actions

First post, by ciernioo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Inspired by Badmojo`s excellent thread about his 286 machine:

It's 286 time!

I`ve decided to show you mine too. The idea behind this project was (besides of having yet another retro machine) to recreate the experience of my first PC class computer that I had in the early nineties. It was 286/12Mhz / 1MB RAM/ VGA/ 250MB HDD (initially I didn`t even have any HDD, just booted from 1.2MB floppy ...). My favourite games were flight sims - especially those from Microprose - F15 Strike Eagle II, F19 Stealth Fighter, Knights of the sky. Electronic Art`s LHX was also fantastic! Then I remember discovering Wing Commander. Man, I was blown away. I spent countless hundreds of hours playing this game in every possible way and style.I was using analog joystick for all of the sims (QuickShot - currently being repaired) which was such a thrilling experience after my earlier Atari 65XE controller. Flight simulators and analog joystick is my most vivid memory from that time.

Recently, I`ve acuired nearly complete 286 for a reasonable price. It needed some work, but it was in overall good condition. Here is the photo, with later model of DELL`s 15" CRT SVGA:

title.jpg

Some basic Checkit 3.0 info and benchmarks:

checkit.jpg

The case still needs some cleaning, and some treatment for the "yellow plastic disease".

Below you can see the overview of the guts inside ,
and some details of the case itself - it has one interesting feature: an optional keyboard connector is on the side, so the regular back one can be rerouted to the side of the computer.

case_details.jpg

The mainboard. I like it very much. It`s clean, compact, elegant and troublefree. As you can see, this particular model lacks the onboard HDD/FDC controller, but I don`t really care. The board came with 1MB DIP RAM. I was going to leave it this way, as 1MB was the amount of RAM that I used back in the day. However those four SIMM sockets were so inviting, that I`ve fed them with some leftover SIMMs that were lying around. That made a total of 5Megs. I thought, that after upgrade it would only use the SIMM memory, but I was happy to see that all of the memory was detected and used. I`ve cut out the battery for safety. I`ll think of some replacement option in the future.

board.jpg

The cards:

- Regular multi I/O. Nothing special about it.
- 10Mbps 3COm 3C905 NIC. Well known standard. All media options available (BNC, twisted pair, AUI). Works great with packet driver ant MTCP suite.
- 512kb Trident 9000. I hate it. I`ve always hate it. It is there for now, but I plan to switch it for someting better. (I had to switch it for ET4000 for photo session, as the Trident keeps booting in monochrome mode most of the time).
- ESS ES1868F soundcard. Those have the opinion of being cheap and boring, but I personally like this model. I`ve installed many of them in many PCs of that time for my customers. Those cards were always troublefree, no TSRs, simple and intuitive config utility, great DOS and Windows compatibility. I never had any problem with these cards. This is why I`ve picked it for the build.

cards.jpg

My Z80 computer project http://ciernioo.wordpress.com/

Reply 1 of 13, by ciernioo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Hard Disk. I was rather surprised that this 40MB Fujitsu M2611T was not only alive, but in great condition and no bad sectors! A real gem that is! The drive makes gorgeous sounds: noticeable, but not too loud plate motor and crisp highly accented head seeking ticks. Music for my ears. I`ve always missed this sound when HDDs started to be more advanced and silent.

hdd.jpg

I remember that my old 286 board was one of the majority with no onboard EMS support. My friend had a genuine Olivetti 286, which had EMS built in. I`ve always envied him, that he can play Wing Commander with additional animations in cockpit. Well, after 20 years my dreams came true: This board has EMS option in BIOS Setup. It converts all over 1Meg memory to EMS. Then an EMM driver has to be loaded (I found a file "suntac.sys" that works). After this, EMS memory is available to the system.

ems.jpg

Thanks for reading. Hope you like it, also any comments are welcome 😀

Reply 2 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What a lovely machine, and I enjoy when people share their "story" behind it. I was also very much into Wing Commander.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 13, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reminds me of my pc back in the day. I had a philips p2230 12.5mhz 1mb ram 20mb hdd cga monochrome(later 256kb vga) and ablib soundcard and a quickshot analog joystick. Also played countless hours of knights of the sky, lhx, a10 tankkiller, heroes of the 357th, f19 and falcon. Great days, also bought a quickshot masterpilot for a more realistic feel.

Reply 4 of 13, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fantastic build and thanks for sharing your story. I agree on the sound of old hard drives, make the retro experience 😀

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 5 of 13, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Excellent machine, congrats! Regarding the yellowed plastic - given it's such a modular design, have you considered painting it? That's my preferred treatment these days after some unacceptable retro bright efforts.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 13, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is just done the way I would have built it.
I do not mind the yellow or brown case as long as the color is more or less uniform. Age cannot wither my 286 anyway 😀
The Trident 9000 is a snail but you can drop in a cheap 1 meg 8900D instead for a 60% perfomance increase or more... and it is a very compatible card - you can even switch to CGA.
You can also put the Trident utility in the autoexec.bat file to amend the monochrome issue at startup: "SMONITOR.EXE C"

Even on a 25 Mhz Harris, the performance increase is minimal with the big gun VGAs (GD5429, ET4000 etc.)

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 7 of 13, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use a 077 OAK with 1Meg in a Harris 286 16mhz, and switching to ET4000 or Fast Cirrus Logic does gives only a very small speed boost.
If Software is ET4000 optimized the situation is a bit different.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 8 of 13, by ciernioo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
badmojo wrote:

Excellent machine, congrats! Regarding the yellowed plastic - given it's such a modular design, have you considered painting it? That's my preferred treatment these days after some unacceptable retro bright efforts.

Hey, thanks for the tip! I haven`t thought about that. I`ll try it with some spray paint.

Reply 9 of 13, by ciernioo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jolaes76 wrote:

You can also put the Trident utility in the autoexec.bat file to amend the monochrome issue at startup: "SMONITOR.EXE C"

Damn, I wish I knew this years ago...Those occasional monochrome boots drove me crazy so many times! Maybe there is still hope for the Tridents 😀

Reply 10 of 13, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes regarding the painting - I've had good results by:

- making sure the plastic is squeaky clean (using oxy cleaner, etc)
- using a plastic primer
- applying 3 or 4 very thin coats, leaving sufficient time to dry b/w coats.

That's probably a no-brainer but it took me a while to figure it out!

And regarding the trident, I recently switched an 8900C into my 286 and think it's great. The image quality is surprisingly good and the CGA emulation is very solid.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 11 of 13, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good on you. Very similar in spec to my original 286. Look forward to hearing about any updates changes you make. Certainly agree with your comments about ESS sound cards 😉 They "just work" without too much effort at all.

Most of all have fun with it.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2015-09-16, 19:00. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 12 of 13, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice build. Benchmarks are very good for 12MHz. Better video card would increase speed a bit. On my 286-20 I get 5.9 in 3Dbench with Trident 8900D and 6.7 with Tseng ET4000.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 13 of 13, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just found a youtube movie that features the same philips p2230 i had back then.
http://youtu.be/AABXgTh6kvw
Would love to own that pc again.