VOGONS

First post, by SilverHawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,
Been lurking here for a little while. That and speaking with friends and family about the good ole days of LAN parties has sparked the fire. I started by taking inventory of parts I had tucked away years ago. Sadly, I parted with some of my earliest equipment, but still had plenty to put together something fun. I started with a SOYO SY-6VBA 133, 256MB of PC133, a Pentium 3 933(thought it was a 733, eyes aren't as good as they once were), an AGP Voodoo 3 3000, a 3GB Quantum Fireball, an Iomega zipCD, an unbranded 1.44 3.5" floppy drive, and an AWE64 gold connected to my Sony SRS-PC300D speakers. Everything, excluding speakers, is tucked into my Koolance PC2-C. It is running air cooled, as the original reservoir was discarded years ago. I had considered running a number of Creative PCI sound cards I had available, but I longed for direct RCA input for my Sony speakers. I went with Win98SE with unofficial SP.

Thus far it has been a great change of pace and allowed me to sharpen the saw a bit. Now to select a few good Win98 and DOS games for some retro fun. After that, I am considering a Pentium 200 Win 3.1 system, or a rebuild of my custom Innovatek water cooled Socket A monster! Thanks to the Vogons community for the inspiration and knowledge to get this going!

Last edited by SilverHawk on 2020-08-25, 21:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😄

eyes aren't as good as they once were

I feel your pain!!

Welcome to Vogons!

Are you planning for an XP build?

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 2 of 5, by SilverHawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JoeCorrado wrote on 2020-02-23, 16:35:
😄 […]
Show full quote

😄

eyes aren't as good as they once were

I feel your pain!!

Welcome to Vogons!

Are you planning for an XP build?

Thanks!
Yes, XP seems the best choice for that vintage of board. It will be swapped from the current air cooled tomb it has been sitting in and back into the old customized Antec Tower where it began service. Including all the Innovatek water-cooling components. Cleaning all those parts will be the biggest challenge.

Reply 3 of 5, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome! Looks like a great first build. I bet you're having a blast. 😀 One thing you will probably want to upgrade soon is the HDD. 3GB will get filled up pretty fast on that build. Keep us posted on your adventures!

Cheers

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 5, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

sick build. having an awe64 gold and a voodoo in one pc?? you were definitely having a good time in '99.

i got that same mobo so its good to see that it accepts cpus faster than 866, im looking at upgrading the 667mhz one i have currently.

im looking forward to the socket A system 😉

Reply 5 of 5, by SilverHawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was actually an Nvidia fan boy in the day and never purchased any 3dFx first hand. Wish I had. 😀

Thanks for the interest guys. Despite my best laid plans. I have been bouncing all over the place trying to figure out what to do next. Most recently, I spent entirely too much time getting an old HP 7410P Pentium 200 machine up and going . It should make for a decent DOS gaming rig. When I have some more time I will do a better write up of my recent adventures, but I am having a blast going through this old stuff and getting it running. I have also made a few recent acquisitions at a local PC recycle store that I will post in one of the existing threads on that topic.

Thanks again!