VOGONS

First post, by xefe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I'm from Portugal and i like obsolete computers. I have a kind of a disease, i think, with about 12 lovely machines laying around my house.
My current ongoing project is also my favourite one. My favourite for now 😜
It's an old HP DC7100 SFF that was just about to go to the dumpster in the place where i work. Lacking a decent XP machine to play some 2001-2005 games and loving these small cramped form factors, i grabbed it and gave it a good clean and some love:
- Upgraded it to 2x1GB DDR400 dual channel with some sticks i had laying around and used memset to tighten the timings as much as i could, sandra bandwidth went from 3600 MB/s to 4000 MB/s (100% stable HCI memtest);
- Grabbed a very cheap Pentium 4 670 3.8ghz (i got lucky, these usually go for 40$ nowadays on ebay) and undevolted it to 1.237v(boost) and 1.137 (idle) using RMClock (100% stable Prime and IBT);
- Replaced the original 80GB 3.5" HD with a faster 250GB 2.5" Laptop HD with some spacers to reduce noise, heat output and current consumption;
- Installed an Asus GT 610 Passive low profile graphics card on the PCI-E x16 slot with extra heatsink and thermal pads on the VRAM chips and got a very good Vram overclock, from 600mhz to 870mhz which i find impressive. Overclocking the VRAM on this card is where it's at, this GPU is bandwidth starved and Oc'ing the core achieves almost nothing. First i went for a GT 710 which is much faster but sadly it requires UEFI bios... And the P4 670 is the bottleneck most of the time anyway;
- I enlarged the spacing/gaps on the front grill for better air flow direct to the CPU (see front panel pic) and cut a hole in the back for two 40mm exhaust fans;
- Added very small TP-Link wireless N usb adapter on front usb port.

The system runs cool and quiet even with the addition of the two 40mm fans, at least the cpu runs very cool, idles at 38º and goes to only 59º on prime95 with stock heatsink+fan on a warm day, amazing for a Prescott at 3.8ghz. I love running the fastest shitty P4 ever made, brings a smile to my face.
The GT 610, being passive and overclocked in a cramped space, ran very hot at 90º full load so i had to build the exhaust system. Took it down to 82º.
This is a very well built machine, very heavy, completely tool-less (for reals, you can tear it all down to bits without a single screwdriver), all Nichicon caps troughout (board and PSU).
I'm having a lot of fun with it playing all the classics again. Finished Halo and Doom3 and i'm once again hooked to GTA San Andreas and F.E.A.R. Great games.
Also having fun running some benchmarks and tuning the system.
Currently running in 16:10 1680x1050 Asus monitor.
Currently watching a few GT 530's which are faster, cheap and easy to come by, but with a current consumption at 50 watt, puts the power supply on it's limits, it's only a 240 watt PSU...

Is it worth it to have hyperthreading turned on? I'm having a hard time spotting a difference and some benchmarks even score higher with it turned off. Processor runs 5º cooler with it turned off also.

I'm also thinking about spray painting the front panel in Crimson/Blood glossy red. Opinions?

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• desktop.jpg
    Filename
    desktop.jpg
    File size
    404.44 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Desktop
    File license
    Public domain
  • exhaust.jpg
    Filename
    exhaust.jpg
    File size
    182.17 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    DIY exhaust
    File license
    Public domain
  • miolo cima.jpg
    Filename
    miolo cima.jpg
    File size
    212.33 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Top view
    File license
    Public domain
  • full box.jpg
    Filename
    full box.jpg
    File size
    144.82 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Case
    File license
    Public domain
  • frente.jpg
    Filename
    frente.jpg
    File size
    88.55 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Front panel
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This isn't the right place if your looking for a cure, but plenty of like minded people to "suffer" your problem with 😉

Also like HP SFF's. Like you said well built and are really easy to work on in the office.
For home use what they lack in performance they make up for in convenience, I've got 2 older D510's I use for Win9x gaming and get put under the bed when not needed.

Don't really like spay painting cases but its a personal choice and these things can be had cheap if it turns out terrible.
HT should help out with background tasks but as its just a games rig now you probably don't have 1/2 the software installed and doing things in the background like back when it was a daily driver.
May as well disable it if your only noticing a difference in temperature and no performance benefit.

Reply 4 of 6, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That looks like a pretty interesting take on an XP build (and I'm all about interesting PCs!) but I'm not sure I would be happy with a Pentium 4 because of a deep personal dislike of themn (especially the 775 varients). Does the board support Conroe CPUS? Even a E6400 or something?

I would say no to painting the PC case as it rarely looks good a couple of months down the line. I did it properly, sanding off all the old paint, putting undercoat on, then painting and it looked OK at first but flaked away after a while. The other issue is that with a couple of coats of paint on it, all the panels are maybe 1mm larger in all dimensions so don't quite fit as good!

Reply 5 of 6, by xefe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This board has a intel 915g chipset, so no dual cores of any kind are supported, not even Pentium D.
For the kind of games that i'm playing on it (2001-2006), the undervolted Pentium 4 3.8 ghz does just fine anyway, staying above 60 FPS with high or highest settings.
Surfing the web is a breeze with firefox, and youtube on 480p with no problem. This machine flies in XP honestly, and with the cpu reaching 60º max (IBT and Prime95) on hot days without fans ramping up, it almost becomes kind of irrelevant being a pentium 4 or a conroe, for this use case anyways.
About your paint job flaking, i find that just unlucky maybe? I have a tower i painted white some years ago, without even applying a primer and looks good like the first day, shiny and uniform. Maybe it is related to the paint quality?

Reply 6 of 6, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Junked a ton of 775 DC7600s at work, and the newer DC7900s. Nice machines at the time but very limited now. Many seemed to suffer with cap problems. Nice build, but personally I'm not terribly nostalgic about the XP era.