VOGONS

My DOS/Windows 98SE PC

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CapnCrunch53 wrote:

What an excellent-looking system; the drives and caddy match the case color just about perfectly! No shame in using Dosbox; it certainly is much more convenient, and lets you emulate some hardware that one otherwise might have to spend a considerable amount on.

Thank you for your kind words 😀

Reply 21 of 31, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
manic232 wrote:

Seems to me if you have an old or new MT-32 your going to hit some kind of problem, i think im glad i got the old one though, as reading this and other posts the old version seems to have less issues and can be resolved easier with DOSBox anyway.

Yes you need the right MIDI device for every game 😀

MT-32(Old) you need for all the Sierra / Dynamix / Origin stuff and other games that otherwise have little bugs on other modules.

And then you need a second module from the CM series (CM-32L, or CM-64 or LAPC-I of course).

With these two modules you are set for every game 😀

Reply 22 of 31, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

MT-32(Old) you need for all the Sierra / Dynamix / Origin stuff and other games that otherwise have little bugs on other modules.

And then you need a second module from the CM series (CM-32L, or CM-64 or LAPC-I of course).

So this list is completely wrong? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MT-32-co … _computer_games

I haven't seen any other list with the games that prefer the old revision, but for convenience I've included them here:

• The Adventures of Willy Beamish (floppy version only) (3)
    Castle of Dr. Brain (3)
    Dune 2 (3)
    Heart of China (3)
    King's Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder! (3)
    Leisure Suit Larry 3: Passionate Patti in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals! (3)
    Police Quest II: The Vengeance (3)
    Ski or Die (3)
    Space Quest I: The Sarien Encounter (1991 remake) (3)
    Space Quest III: The Pirates of Pestulon (3)
    The Colonel's Bequest (3)
    Wing Commander (3)

CM games:

• Beneath a Steel Sky (1) (2)
    Cisco Heat (1)
    Day of the Tentacle (1)
    Elite Plus (1)
    Fire and Ice (1)
    Inferno (1) (2)
    The Humans (1) (2)
    Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (1)
    Laser Squad (1)
    Leisure Suit Larry 5: Passionate Patti Does a Little Undercover Work! (1)
    Magic Pockets (1)
    Microprose Formula One Grand Prix (aka World Circuit) (1)
    Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra (1)
    Nigel Mansell's World Championship (1)
    Pinball Dreams (early version) (Amiga) (1)
    Pitfighter (1)
    Predator 2 (1)
    Prophecy 1: The Viking Child (1) (2)
    Pushover (1)
    Simon the Sorcerer (1)
    Speedball 2 (1)
    Supaplex (1)
    Supremacy (1)
    TFX (Tactical Fighter Experiment) (1) (2)
    Toyota Celica GT Rally (1)
    UFO: Enemy Unknown (aka X-Com: UFO Defense) (1)
    Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (1)
    Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds (1)

I've not listed the (2) games (does not run good on the old MT-32 due to buffer overflow) as they will run fine on in DosBox.

So we are talking 12 games that according to that list "on some occasions sound wrong". Of these games I've only played Police Quest II and Space Quest I remake on my MT-100 and I did not hear anything "wrong" (then again I've never had a old revision MT-32). In the end it's still the same device, I believe the differences are negligible and only clear when been heard back to back on recordings. Talking about recordings, are there any comparison done between the new and old MT-32 on these 12 games? Some people make it sound they are like night and day, but I want to hear it myself before I believe that. I can provide recordings from my MT-100 if you guys tell me how the settings should be in DosBox to get it right.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 23 of 31, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The list isn't wrong and I have added a few entries myself 😀

They might be negligible, but that wasn't why I felt I had to comment. You said that the MT-100 does the same as an MT-32 and that simply isn't accurate.

VOGONS is pretty much THE place for retro knowledge and we try to keep things accurate. There is always place for personal preferences and opinions though 😀

Now coming back to the differences, yes they are subtle but once you know about them they can drive you mad.

Example of a sound that only the MT-32(Old) plays correctly. Play the Heart of China and get to this screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1GTr-27Ah8

4:02

You will hear a THUMP sound when the photo gets stamped.

And the clipping example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV8VvLRV3fA

Wing Commander intro sequence. 01:37

On non-MT-32 (Old) units in Heart of China the sound will be different and inconsistent. And in Wing Commander the final fireworks explosion will clip.

And if you want a game that has extra sound effects on LAPC-I and CM modules try The Lure of Temptress or Ultima Underworld. Also Monkey Island 2 the spitting sounds and the chef cooking sound are richer on these units compared to the MT-32.

These 33 sound effects simply don't exist on (any) MT-32 and no sound will play.

Reply 24 of 31, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You said that the MT-100 does the same as an MT-32 and that simply isn't accurate.

You're right that I forgot to mention the revision differences. But beside the small differences in the games, they in broad do the same job, and if you can get the MT-100 for 1/4 of the price of a MT-32 I think it's a good deal.

From your Wing Commander youtube video I found this in the description field:

Due to their "analogue nature", there are small differences between all these units. I will make a video soon, comparing all these units and pointing out the subtle differences with Games.

hehe, this seems as a good time to start making that video soon 😉

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 26 of 31, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just managed to get myself a Roland LAPC-I for this PC, really pleased, got it for £80 on eBay on "Make an Offer" he accepted this offer first time. is this s reasonable price do you think? and do I need to know anything before I install it? I read on another thread something about the card needing a "5v rail" on the PSU, I didn't really understand what that meant, any help?

Reply 29 of 31, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
manic232 wrote:

I read on another thread something about the card needing a "5v rail" on the PSU, I didn't really understand what that meant, any help?

It wasn't this thread ?:
LAPC-I owners, please help

Should be some explanations here (about the -5v):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atx

Pin 20 on the ATX main connector, check the 'pictures' and text.

Reply 30 of 31, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bestemor wrote:
It wasn't this thread ?: LAPC-I owners, please help […]
Show full quote
manic232 wrote:

I read on another thread something about the card needing a "5v rail" on the PSU, I didn't really understand what that meant, any help?

It wasn't this thread ?:
LAPC-I owners, please help

Should be some explanations here (about the -5v):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atx

Pin 20 on the ATX main connector, check the 'pictures' and text.

Super, thanks for info

Reply 31 of 31, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm please to report that the LAPC-I seems to be working just fine! I was not expecting it to, because i was sure my PSU did not have this mystifying 5v rail, but whatever the hell that is it must have it, because my new baby sings beautifully, I have only tried it with Day of the Tentacle so far, but if that works, im sure other games will.

My System: SuperMicro P6SBA Motherboard, Win98SE, PIII 600Mhz, 256MB Ram, Voodoo 5 5500, SB AWE 64 Gold Sound Card, Roland LAPC-I