VOGONS

Socket 754 Curiosity Build

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That initial build must have been a classic combination back in the day. So many had a 6600GT, what a great card.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 21 of 25, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Half-Saint wrote:

Just found a Point of View GeForce 6800GT 256MB in the dumpster in good working order. Not sure, if I'm gonna use it because the noise coming from its fan is awful! What's interesting to me is that it has two molex connectors for power.

Also found a case for this build so stay tuned for pics 😉

Not surprising to see twin molex on a 6800GT - that's how the 6800 Ultra was generally set up, and some manufacturers re-used the same PCBs for 6800GTs. It may have better overclocking potential than the "average" 6800GT as a result of the second connector. As far as cooling - I know the Zalman VF-700AlCu worked well for my 6800GT, and was very quiet.

Reply 22 of 25, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like the card is a rebranded ASUS V9999GT and it's missing a small heatsink on the right side of the main HS/fan. Running the card without it would probably not be beneficial to its health. Anyone happen to have a spare? 😉

P.S. Still don't know how to post images inline...

Filename
DSC_1086.JPG
File size
1.55 MiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 23 of 25, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To post inline use the [img] tag.

On the card - looks like the sink was broken off at the pins; here's roughly what it should look like: http://content.hwigroup.net/images/products/x … rce_6800_gt.jpg (pulled it out of inline because its HUGE)

You might be able to use small generic BGA/FET sinks to replace it. 😀

Reply 24 of 25, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh I know how the heatsink looks like, looked it up already 😀 The problem will be finding one just like it. Most of the MOSFET/RAM heatsinks are too big by 50%. The smallest I could find were 6.5 x 6.5mm which would probably fit fine.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 25 of 25, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just installed everything in this case today. No hard drive at the moment as I ended up using that 320GB laptop drive for my main PC. My system disk decided to kick the bucket overnight and I needed a replacement quick.

Innards: dsc1089.jpg

Face: dsc1090.jpg

Notes:
That Core2Duo sticker has to go as well as the one next to it. Power supply could also be better - LC Power isn't exactly famous for reliability.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png