VOGONS

Reply 20 of 48, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
QBiN wrote:

Under load (playing Far Cry and Half-Life 2: Episode 1) the CPU temp crept up to around the low 50's centrigrade. That model Zalman (CNPS-7000B-Cu) is one of the best for Socket 478. There are other variations that are not all copper, but I felt going all copper would benefit the Netburst CPU, which runs

Not bad, wish it was around 40 though. My trust also goes only to full copper heatsinks.

Reply 21 of 48, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
QBiN wrote:

As far as water cooling is concerned, I looked. From my recollection as well as brief research for this build, closed-loop water cooling kits like those from Corsair's Hydro series weren't common when Socket 478 was at it's peak. Most water cooling rigs back then were very custom setups built using individual water blocks, tubing, radiators, and reservoir tanks. They required more maintenance than modern sealed kits do and just didn't seem worth the hassle considering the Zalman is working so well.

Unfortunately, I also haven't see any closed-loop water cooling kits for Socket 478.

Reply 22 of 48, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just get a socket adaptor or buy a real LCS
Also full copper is not the best idea for air coolers. Copper wile able to absorb heat faster it cannot get rid of it as fast as aluminum.
The best coolers use both copper and aluminum, but it's colstly to make one that can transfer the heat from the copper to the aluminum fast enough to make it worth wile. This is why alot of full copper sinks do better. Also keep in mind that alot of cheap heatsinks are just plated in copper.

Reply 23 of 48, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

TELVM, how do you take those thermal images?

I wish I could say I took them, that'd mean I own an IR camera, which sadly ain't the case 😢 . Just collected that and many other great IR pics of PC components in my travels around the web.

Thermal images are just awesome for identifying hot spots, like on this ASUS AM1I-A mobo:

rGk51sqq.png

Let the air flow!

Reply 24 of 48, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TELVM wrote:
I wish I could say I took them, that'd mean I own an IR camera, which sadly ain't the case :depressed: . Just collected that an […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

TELVM, how do you take those thermal images?

I wish I could say I took them, that'd mean I own an IR camera, which sadly ain't the case 😢 . Just collected that and many other great IR pics of PC components in my travels around the web.

Thermal images are just awesome for identifying hot spots, like on this ASUS AM1I-A mobo:

rGk51sqq.png

Thanks for clearing this up 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 26 of 48, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I moved the thermal paste chatter to a new thread.

Nice hardware, by the way. I too have that motherboard.

Reply 27 of 48, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
saturn wrote:

Just get a socket adaptor or buy a real LCS
Also full copper is not the best idea for air coolers. Copper wile able to absorb heat faster it cannot get rid of it as fast as aluminum.
The best coolers use both copper and aluminum, but it's colstly to make one that can transfer the heat from the copper to the aluminum fast enough to make it worth wile. This is why alot of full copper sinks do better. Also keep in mind that alot of cheap heatsinks are just plated in copper.

Copper sinks do better because they have thinner and more fins. That means more surface area exposed to airflow.
It is difficult to get aluminum that thin without making it flimsy so Al usually gets fewer fins and less surface area compared to Cu.
The heat transfer rate between Cu and Al in bi-metal sinks isn't much of an issue if they properly made. I don't think it's particularly costly to make them (in regards to the process). They are more expensive primarily because of the high cost of copper. The bi-metal sinks made by Intel as stock coolers for their 'hotter' CPUs are an example of properly made. They use pressed in slugs with a very tight interference fit. (Speculation: The Al is probably heated to expand it before the Cu slug is pressed in.) When smaller companies attempt the same thing without having the proper equipment it results in a sub-par product.
For both Al and Cu alloys also come into play. Both metals are too soft for thin fins without it being alloyed with something.
Different alloys of course have different thermal properties.
It is unlikely that the Cu alloy in the slug of a bi-metal sink would be the same as the Cu alloy used in a full copper sink that needs fins.
The slugs are usually soft and scratch easily. Fins can't be that soft.
In some cases "full copper" isn't.
Many server heat-sinks that appear to be full copper aren't. (Some non-server sinks are built this way too.)
These server sinks use a copper block that is slot-cut and then the fins are welded in.
(Welded *IN* the slots full length using a special electric welding process.)
The fins themselves are either a different Cu alloy than the block or are copper plated steel.
The blocks are usually softer than the fins (not so soft as slugs though) and the fins aren't that soft.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 28 of 48, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does anybody know if any i850 main board or its revision supports Pentium IV Extreme Edition CPUs?

Reply 29 of 48, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:

Does anybody know if any i850 main board or its revision supports Pentium IV Extreme Edition CPUs?

No.
The i850 was only 400MHz FSB and RDRAM.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 30 of 48, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about i850E?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 31 of 48, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still No.
i850E chipset added PC1066 RDRAM and 533 MHz FSB support.
Pentium IV Extreme Edition CPUs for skt-478 are 800 MHz FSB.

Reply 32 of 48, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, thanks! I didn't really care at the time, so I didn't pay much attention.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 33 of 48, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:
No. The i850 was only 400MHz FSB and RDRAM. . […]
Show full quote

No.
The i850 was only 400MHz FSB and RDRAM.

I see, thanks. I was hoping that later motherboard revisions on i850E support those CPUs.

Reply 34 of 48, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TELVM wrote:

That yellow fan helps on cooling a mobo area that warms up like an oven

I'd either add another 92mm fan below it or either cover up the lower rear fan station, to prevent recirculation or 'short-circuiting' air.

What PC cases for a such system would you suggest?

Reply 35 of 48, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Okay, thanks! I didn't really care at the time, so I didn't pay much attention.

Me either. - Google is my friend.
I never much liked the idea of RDRAM so (other than things I had to service) I avoided that phase of mobo evolution.

Reply 36 of 48, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That question is so broad I don't even know what to say.
Can you narrow it down some?

Reply 37 of 48, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:
That question is so broad I don't even know what to say. Can you narrow it down some? . […]
Show full quote

Well, something similar to this case, but with an option to install a 120mm and 92mm fans. I guess for a system like that you don't want to use a PC case from 90's. I also don't like those modern PC cases with 10000 holes to collect dust...

Reply 38 of 48, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, something similar to this case, but with an option to install a 120mm and 92mm fans. I guess for a system like that you don't want to use a PC case from 90's. I also don't like those modern PC cases with 10000 holes to collect dust...

pick one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp … 1375&IsNodeId=1

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 39 of 48, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:
That question is so broad I don't even know what to say. Can you narrow it down some? . […]
Show full quote

I usually shop places like this to find a model I like then search the web for the best deal for that model.
http://www.newegg.com/Computer-Cases/Category/ID-9
http://www.frys.com/category/Outpost/PC+Components/Cases/
http://www.microcenter.com/category/4294964318/Desktop-Cases
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/categ … lc.asp?CatId=32
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1/g1/Cases.html

I don't like all those holes either. Or windows for that matter.
It's hard to find a basic case anymore.

I have blocked surplus holes before by cutting thick black construction paper to fit then applying it with spray adhesive.