VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by Luke4838P

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also just got another socket 7 pc.
Used to be an old work pc that was stashed long ago but had the cpu removed, no HDD, no 5¼ floppy drive.
I successfully identified the motherboard as the BIOSTAR MB 8500 TTD.
It had the ps/2 mouse cable and another on board ps/2 mouse port that due of the AT case, it's covered.
No gpu and ram were present.
There was a single 3½ floppy drive and a bit rusty cd drive (Swapped it with a new one but it's a just a bit of surface rust).
The case itself was fine.
The psu was dead but changing the fan seems to have make it work again (in any case i swapped the old PSU with a new one).
Bought online a pentium mmx 200 to place in the socket.
On the front of the case there was a sticker "Intel Pentium MMX Inside".
Adding the cpu, ram, video card and a keyboard has the system booting correctly into bios, of course it had CMOS error due of the original cr 2032 battery being dead.
There is no ATX connector but it has the "PWR_SW" header in the panel headers and a predisposition for the atx connector.
A little problem is, I can't seem to find the right pins for the panel connectors (number order).
If someone can help me through that, it'll be appreciated.
Weird thing, the cpu I installed it says it's a 166 mhz but I am sure that the cpu was 200 mhz, what is the jumper I need to change for this?
The cpu needs a heatsink and a fan and I'm ready to install windows 95 on it.

Attachments

Reply 21 of 23, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Luke4838P wrote on 2022-04-27, 06:36:

Weird thing, the cpu I installed it says it's a 166 mhz but I am sure that the cpu was 200 mhz, what is the jumper I need to change for this?

JP9
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/B/B … Pentiu-205.html
Take away 1 & 2 will change multiplier from 2.5 to 3.

How much RAM do you have? If you could give it 64MB (additional RAM not recommended as 430TX chipset has a 64MB cache limit and more RAM would only make the computer slower) then I'd recommend installing Win98SE instead of Win95, as the former has much better stability and usability with only slightly higher system requirements.

Reply 22 of 23, by Luke4838P

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dormcat wrote on 2022-04-27, 09:11:
JP9 https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/B/B … Pentiu-205.html Take away 1 & 2 will change multiplier from 2.5 to 3. […]
Show full quote
Luke4838P wrote on 2022-04-27, 06:36:

JP9
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/B/B … Pentiu-205.html
Take away 1 & 2 will change multiplier from 2.5 to 3.

How much RAM do you have? If you could give it 64MB (additional RAM not recommended as 430TX chipset has a 64MB cache limit and more RAM would only make the computer slower) then I'd recommend installing Win98SE instead of Win95, as the former has much better stability and usability with only slightly higher system requirements.

I see.
Thanks, i'll try it later.
Currently it has 32 mb installed.
I wanted to install Win 95 OSR 2.5C due of some old games running only on Windows 95 (it checks and fails to install\run if there's even win 98SE)
What about the front panel connectors?
In what order are they? Horizontal or vertical?
Because the RST (reset) pin seems to be broken on the second row as you can see, but there's nothing written above that would make me think that all of the 4 pins (first and second row) where RST is are ALL RST.
I connected them like they used to be but i need plug in some more (ex: HDD LED).

Reply 23 of 23, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-04-26, 23:56:
CoffeeOne wrote on 2022-04-26, 23:20:
More ideas: I would REALLY appreciate mainboard features like: 1 long beep - CPU missing 2 long beeps - CPU and RAM missing 3 l […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote on 2022-04-26, 12:43:

spam postcount +1! lololol

More ideas: I would REALLY appreciate mainboard features like:
1 long beep - CPU missing
2 long beeps - CPU and RAM missing
3 long beeps - CPU, RAM and speaker missing

3rd point….just how do you expect it to beep with no speaker 😁

4 long beeps - CPU and RAM and speaker and mainboard missing (?)