VOGONS

Just another typical Socket 7 build!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For StarCraft, avoid installing patches which can slow down the game. There is an option to adjust the speed thru a slider.

BTW, looking only at releases dates doesn't represent the computers that consumers actually had in the 90s. Budget-oriented ones didn't have a Pentium II CPU as they were too pricey.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 21 of 23, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nd22 wrote on 2023-01-27, 07:17:
It entered in my possession a long time ago a socket 7 board - Abit AX5 - which is in ATX form factor, has an Intel 430tx chipse […]
Show full quote

It entered in my possession a long time ago a socket 7 board - Abit AX5 - which is in ATX form factor, has an Intel 430tx chipset and runs early Pentium up to 233mmx and first generation K6, so no, this is not a super socket 7 board!
Up until this year I did not have the time to test it or to build a system around it but I finally got the time so here it is:
1. Pentium 133 because that is all I could find to test the board as I was unsure if it was working or not.
2. 64mb of RAM on a double sided stick that I was lucky to have - the board is very picky with the ram!
3. Abit AX5
4. matrox millenium 2 8mb wram with very good VGA output but limited to 1280*1024 max resolution
5. WD 6.4gb hdd that is dead slow!
6. creative live sb0060 because all I have are different revisions of Live cards and nothing else.
7. corsair PSU
8. IDE CDROM
9. Intel stock cooler that is incredible noisy!
10. realtek 8139 NIC
I installed Windows 98SE from cd, chipset drivers from www.soggi.org, matrox drivers form the official website, creative drivers from Phils website and realtek drivers from www.soggi.org, however the performance was very poor, it took ages to run simple games such as Panzer General 2 - scrolling on the map was atrocius, same in Age of empires 1. I reinstalled everything with the same results; changed the HDD to a CF card and got the same results. I came to the conclusion that either the platform; the CPU, the ram or a combination of them is a bottleneck!
Formatted everything last night and installed Windows 95 OSR2.5; installed all the drivers but the realtek ones which I can not find. Performance is outstanding, system is very responsive, games run fine! The only problem remaining are the realtek 8139 drivers: I tried installing the drivers provided by Soggi however they did not installed! I have to mention that in 98SE USB ports are functional however in 95 despite having drivers installed there is no USB support!
This is my first socket 7 build so have mercy pls 😀

web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm
Re: Diy modding support for k6+And 120gb hard drives into bios roms

I was curious if your board supported k6-3+
Apparently the voltage is unstable on this board around 2.0v
It seems that it probably would using a interposer though if you contacted jan for a patched bios

With a 3/2+/3+ you could install 256mb of ram on that mobo.

Anyway, nice build 😀

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 22 of 23, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am interested in building dream machines representing the best available hardware of the era and not budget ones; but indeed few people could afford the Pentium II back in the day. The advances even for people purchasing the best of the best were phenomenal! I still use today 2600k as my daily driver after 12 years - this would have been unthinkable back in 1995-2000!

Reply 23 of 23, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-02-20, 19:21:
web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm Re: Diy modding support for k6+And 120gb hard drives into bios roms […]
Show full quote
nd22 wrote on 2023-01-27, 07:17:
It entered in my possession a long time ago a socket 7 board - Abit AX5 - which is in ATX form factor, has an Intel 430tx chipse […]
Show full quote

It entered in my possession a long time ago a socket 7 board - Abit AX5 - which is in ATX form factor, has an Intel 430tx chipset and runs early Pentium up to 233mmx and first generation K6, so no, this is not a super socket 7 board!
Up until this year I did not have the time to test it or to build a system around it but I finally got the time so here it is:
1. Pentium 133 because that is all I could find to test the board as I was unsure if it was working or not.
2. 64mb of RAM on a double sided stick that I was lucky to have - the board is very picky with the ram!
3. Abit AX5
4. matrox millenium 2 8mb wram with very good VGA output but limited to 1280*1024 max resolution
5. WD 6.4gb hdd that is dead slow!
6. creative live sb0060 because all I have are different revisions of Live cards and nothing else.
7. corsair PSU
8. IDE CDROM
9. Intel stock cooler that is incredible noisy!
10. realtek 8139 NIC
I installed Windows 98SE from cd, chipset drivers from www.soggi.org, matrox drivers form the official website, creative drivers from Phils website and realtek drivers from www.soggi.org, however the performance was very poor, it took ages to run simple games such as Panzer General 2 - scrolling on the map was atrocius, same in Age of empires 1. I reinstalled everything with the same results; changed the HDD to a CF card and got the same results. I came to the conclusion that either the platform; the CPU, the ram or a combination of them is a bottleneck!
Formatted everything last night and installed Windows 95 OSR2.5; installed all the drivers but the realtek ones which I can not find. Performance is outstanding, system is very responsive, games run fine! The only problem remaining are the realtek 8139 drivers: I tried installing the drivers provided by Soggi however they did not installed! I have to mention that in 98SE USB ports are functional however in 95 despite having drivers installed there is no USB support!
This is my first socket 7 build so have mercy pls 😀

web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm
Re: Diy modding support for k6+And 120gb hard drives into bios roms

I was curious if your board supported k6-3+
Apparently the voltage is unstable on this board around 2.0v
It seems that it probably would using a interposer though if you contacted jan for a patched bios

With a 3/2+/3+ you could install 256mb of ram on that mobo.

Anyway, nice build 😀

Thank you very much sir! Very interesting the modifications suggested in your link however I do not think I will use a modified BIOS or physically alter the board/use interposer because of the rarity of it - it is highly unlikely I will ever get another one so I prefer to keep it as safe as possible for many, many years.