VOGONS

post up pics of your "computing area"

Topic actions

Reply 481 of 2219, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No bit it looks like it doesn't it? If you're referring to the top left component, that's just my cable box receiver....everything else except for the retro chrome/silver finish receiver and my kvm switch is sony all the way 🤣

Reply 482 of 2219, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right, my desk is getting "a bit crowded" with three computers + screens on it, but hey, it's worth it 😀

file.php?mode=view&id=14844&sid=d3c94ab5b0b399b6164d769b04195100

The 486 now has a nice brand new old stock AT case with MHz display and turbo switch. The Compaq PIII is still located in the original Compaq case for the moment, but I needed the ATX tower my 486 used to be in for my K6-III, so for the time being it'll have to do.
From left to right the monitors naturally belongs to the 486, i7 and PIII. The other Alesis speaker is sitting on a shelf to the left of my desk lamp, and the Creative speakers are for my 486 at the moment (using main input for GUS and the front-input for SB16).
Sorry for the bad image quality, but my camera is currently on holiday in England, so I had to make do with my old Samsung Galaxy S for taking pics 😳
Oh, and the reason I only have one computer turned on at the moment is quite simply that because of it being summer at the moment, I wanna keep the heat down in my flat.
The K6-III is located on my coffee table at the moment, and so it will have to be photographed later... When I've finished tidying and cleaning my place *blush*

Attachments

• Filename
    computer_desk.png
    File size
    2.25 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 485 of 2219, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

That's surprisingly organized for as much hardware as you have there; very nice. Out of curiosity, what's the red knob on the right do?

The red knob is the "Easy Buttton". You press it and it goes "That was easy!". Good to have when you've just had to do something really complicated.

Ah! It just occurred to me that you probably weren't talking about that "red knob", but rather the black and red knob all the way to the right?
That's a SM Pro Audio Nano Patch +. It's a simple passive attenuator, or "volume knob" for my active monitors. Signal goes from my sound card into the Nano Patch and then into the active monitors. Let's me avoid having to adjust my volume via the Windows volume mixer, which isn't such a good solution in my opinion.

Last edited by LunarG on 2014-06-02, 11:01. Edited 2 times in total.

Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 486 of 2219, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Harekiet wrote:

Can't go wrong with Dell monitors. Should have the bass box on the floor for putting your feet on though.

It's not a bass box. It's one of a pair of Alesis M1Active 520 powered studio monitors. The other one is just outside the left edge of the picture. They provide the sound from my main system.

Reply 487 of 2219, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LunarG wrote:
The red knob is the "Easy Buttton". You press it and it goes "That was easy!". Good to have when you've just had to do something […]
Show full quote
obobskivich wrote:

That's surprisingly organized for as much hardware as you have there; very nice. Out of curiosity, what's the red knob on the right do?

The red knob is the "Easy Buttton". You press it and it goes "That was easy!". Good to have when you've just had to do something really complicated.

Ah! It just occurred to me that you probably weren't talking about that "red knob", but rather the black and red knob all the way to the right?
That's a SM Pro Audio Nano Patch +. It's a simple passive attenuator, or "volume knob" for my active monitors. Signal goes from my sound card into the Nano Patch and then into the active monitors. Let's me avoid having to adjust my volume via the Windows volume mixer, which isn't such a good solution in my opinion.

I was thinking about the red/black knob, but after reading this I went back and looked at the picture again and saw the other big red knob/button and wasn't curious... 🤣

Nano Patch looks really simple, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg (like some "studio controllers" do); neat find there. I'll have to keep that in mind down the road... 😀

Reply 488 of 2219, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ALR Flyer VL Green (486 DX2-50)
TVM Technologies SuperSync 2a
area_1_preview.jpg

Samsung 486S/25Q (486 SX-25 and Kingston Turbochip)
ALR Evolution 5DT (Pentium-166)
Siemens Nixdorf Scenic Pro C5 (Pentium 233 MMX)
area_2_preview.jpg

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 490 of 2219, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

That Samsung 486 is cute 😀

Yes, it is, but there are questions to build quality and it is quite loud.

Its specs are:

Samsung motherboard (Phoenix BIOS, socketed DALLAS battery)
486 SX-25 soldered in
Socket 1 (a jumper selects between soldered and socketed CPU) - currently Kingston Turbochip TC5X86-133 inserted
4 Mb memory soldered
8 * SIMM (30-pin) - currently 8 x 1Mb making overall 12 Mb
Cirrus Logic CL-GD5428 built-in video, 2 Mb video memory
3 x full length ISA slots on a riser
PS/2 keyboard and mouse
6 * cache slots (empty)
1 * IDE (Samsung 250 Mb HDD primary + Creative 4x CD-ROM slave). Originally there was a 5.25" TEAC FDD instead a CD-ROM.
3.5" Samsung FDD
100W PSU (standard AT connector)

Photos (taken year ago when I bought it):

front
back
inside #1
inside #2

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 493 of 2219, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

Finally added another full length table (I have 3: 2 now in use for computing). 😀

Awesome...gotta have those large tables for big CRT's and old school desktop cases. Makes it so much easier to work on! Very nice.

I like that the tables are similar as well, gives it a bit of a cleaner look.

Reply 495 of 2219, by elhaya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Our biggest food chain today had a special tax free sale on all electronics. Of course I couldn't resist the urge and bought a computer for DIRT cheap, plus Microsoft mouse&keyboard. 😁
The system is a Champion PC (my favorite brand), which this time is actually a rebranded version of the ECS MS300 - http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Product/Prod … nuID=10&LanID=0

The specs aren't very impressive but I really wanted a small form factor PC and a quiet machine. The downside- it came with Windows 8.1 pre-installed.

14438540385_c8c1e27555_b.jpg

14437420814_d110645893_b.jpg

Reply 496 of 2219, by Liqu1d82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A few upgrades in my Sanctuary:

P_20140617_134938.jpg

Congratulations for your places mates: really epic!

sig.gif
Without change something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken.
http://liqu1d82.tumblr.com [My Tumblr] // https://twitter.com/Liqu1d82 [My Twitter]

Reply 497 of 2219, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like that little Champion PC 😀

What specs did it come with?

Windows 8.1 is actually really good. Much better than 8. I went back to 7 after trying 8 but 8.1 I love 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 498 of 2219, by elhaya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I like that little Champion PC 😀

What specs did it come with?

Windows 8.1 is actually really good. Much better than 8. I went back to 7 after trying 8 but 8.1 I love 😀

The specs are:
Intel Core i3 3.4GHz
4.0 GB RAM
Windows 8.1 64 bit
DVD RW
500 GB Storage
Intel HD Graphics

I'm starting to get the hang of Windows 8.1, although I am pissed about two things: there is no more the ability to play DVDs without pro / third party and there's no Windows virtual pc anymore (which i need for legacy software).
I was able to work-around these issue by installing vmware player and a Windows 7 guest.

Reply 499 of 2219, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unless Microsoft separate their Desktop OS from their Tablet OS for the next version of Windows, i.e. make it so that there it no touch-based UI at all, only mouse/keyboard based (desktop), I'll probably just swap to Linux when Windows 7 is no longer viable. I feel that their decision to attempt to force people onto a touchscreen based UI was such a bad one that they deserve to go bankrupt for it, unless they admit fault and change this strategy.

Anyway, that was off-topic, just had to say it 😜 My apologies. Get back to the picture posts 😁