VOGONS

First post, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This did run when i took it apart but, was very unstable with the water cooling being filled with actual water and it leaking on the motherboard. So the first thing i had to do was pump out that crap and start raking it apart. The tubes used to be a nice green that used to glow, in these pics it had long past turned to crud green.

pic0172e.jpg

pic0171.jpg

pic0170.jpg
It was leaking regularly so stuffed cotton pads under it.

pic0173j.jpg
I used dewalt battery to run the pump.

pic0174.jpg

pic0175.jpg
Just ended up pumping it out in the grass so gravity could do it's magic.

pic0176.jpg
Extra graphics card water cooling for superior game crashing.

pic0178.jpg

pic0177h.jpg

pic0192.jpg
Thats pretty much it for taking it apart.

pic0179.jpg
Leapo over at hak5.org's irc helped me pick out my build parts, thanks Leapo.

pic0180.jpg
First thing if first, my foxconn destroyer motherboard made for overclocking. My old motherboard was badly damaged from my water cooling leaks.

pic0181.jpg
I got a AMD PhenomII 940 Deneb Black Edition. The Black Edition CPUs are unlock which means the multi is unlocked and makes for great overclocking.

pic0182.jpg

pic0185t.jpg
No HotRod PC build is complete with out a Zaleman 9700.

pic0184.jpg
Gskill 1066 mhz ram i run it at 800 cause thats how the mobo likes it and haven't felt like messing with it yet.

pic0186o.jpg

pic0187v.jpg
It comes in a velvet bag.

pic0189.jpg
That still isn't enough power for quad sli.

pic0190e.jpg
My old 120mm has some burned out leds.

pic0191.jpg

pic0193d.jpg
routing the power cables was time consuming but, nothing i couldn't handle.

pic0194o.jpg

pic0195t.jpg
the zaleman blows straight into the 120mm fan.

pic0196y.jpg

pic0197.jpg
the quantum force bios is really cool it even gives you complements when you over clock.

pic0198g.jpg

pic0199.jpg

pic0201j.jpg

pic0202.jpg

pic0203i.jpg

well other than me posting up my screen shot of windows seven thats pretty much it. my cpu hit the wall at 3.6ghz it is 3.0ghz stock.

i have a new key board mouse and 22incher lcd coming in the mail today so more pictures later maybe.

so it runs
3.6ghz quad core cpu
4bg ram
xfx 9600 gt 512mb
foxconn destroyer
and some other stuff.

Reply 1 of 14, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not bad, but it seems like the three extra PCI-e slots and 850W PSU is a bit overkill for running a single midrange video card...

I'm interested to know, too, why did you have watercooling before, or, rather, why watercool when you had a board that couldn't be overclocked? Was it just for noise?

Reply 2 of 14, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nah, i thought it would be cool it was but, the radiator was on the out side so i put in the dangerden radiator and the fsb cooling block and that when it started leaking. i plan on future upgradesthats why i have the big psu.

here my old pics of when it was nice.

pic0014aq2.th.jpg

pic0015xm5.th.jpg

pic0016mx1.th.jpg

pic0017yb8.th.jpg

pic0018zp3.th.jpg

Reply 3 of 14, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah u kinda need to change the coolant occasionally. Just like with a car. 😀

That's why I don't have any interest in water cooling. The added maintenance and the risk of hardware destruction aren't worth it in addition to the added costs.

Reply 5 of 14, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

nice job with the coolant. And those cotton balls... thats classic! But then again I'm the guy that will attach heatsinks with super glue and clamp capacitors with binder clips.

Looks like you got a nice rig going there, it's similar to what I just put together:

Gigabyte MA790x-udp4
Athlon64 x2 7850
4gb Patriot Viper DDR1066
HIS Radeon HD 4870 512mb
WD Raptor 74gb

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 6 of 14, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

...and clamp capacitors with binder clips.

Wait... what? You cannot give passing mention to something like that and not offer further explanation (and pics, too, preferably). 😁

Reply 8 of 14, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright i'll give you guys the short version:

I bought an Ati 9800xt off ebay. I believe it was assembled by Hercules, and the item included a nice Zalman HSF with it. I think paid 30 included shipping.
Anyhoo... after installing and booting it at first I would get a whole mess of corrupted characters on the screen... like ANSI codes and stuff... cracked out video BIOS... if you can picture it. I removed it and did an inspection, and found the a lead had broken from one of the capacitors. I reseated the card, manually applied pressure to the cap and got a succesful post. I tried to remedy it first with box tape... not only did it not work, it resulted in breaking the other lead and now the cap was completly off. I eventually impovised a way to use a binder clip, a piece of plastic from some blinds and a couple strips of paper (electrical insulation and another as a shim) to apply pressure and restore the signal path... kinda. It is still a little sensitive, for example if I move the computer around alot it may thorw it off ever so slighty and I have to open it up and tweak it a little. My machine currently dislikes to cold boot, and because I limit the amount of changes right now I haven't emilinated that as the cause (could also be the ram or something else). I have been itching to take some snaps of my rig... give a day or two and I'll post them here.

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 10 of 14, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Due to the layout of the SMD's on the back of the card the solder points aren't accessible. I suppose that I could get a new cap, bend the leads at a 90 degree angle and then try to tack it down on the front side... it seemed like so much more work. I may do that later or try to get a whole new card and move the Zalman kit over it it. I almost got a Nvidia FX5950 instead of the 9800, but I chose better support for DX9 over faster DX7. Now it's even further down on my list of priories as I'm almost done building a Pentium D 960 /w a 7600gt, and when that is done I think I'm going back to a Voodoo 5 in my retro rig for a while.

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 11 of 14, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

*Necro Hijack*

Here are pics of the (in)famous binder clip:

imag0035i.th.jpg

imag0036cg.th.jpg

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 12 of 14, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3241/pic0197.jpg the quantum force bios is really cool it even gives you complements when you o […]
Show full quote

pic0197.jpg
the quantum force bios is really cool it even gives you complements when you over clock.

Have you updated your bios yet as your CPU is showing as "unknown" (a common sight using Phenom II or Athlon II CPU's in an AM2+ motherboard).

Reply 13 of 14, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I updated it some time ago, I still need to update the back up bios though, but since i'm lazy i'll probably never do that. I have installed an XFX4850 1gb gfx card and an ASUS Xonar D1 pci sound card. I also flipped my hard drives around to hide the power cables and replace the fan on the side cover with some black mesh.

Reply 14 of 14, by chootastic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, a fellow bodger.

I do all kinds of stuff like this, this is why I've never installed water cooling. When i built my sister's system (drunk), I used carpet tape, and toilet paper to stop the board shorting, as some of the mounts on the case had broken. For years i had a system running with a heat sink attached with bits of an ide cable.

Oh, and I built a system on a sheet of mdf once, ran fine.... I just propped it up against the wall.