VOGONS

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Going a bit slow building this, here's what I have working so far:

QDI Opti 895 motherboard - 3 VLB, 3 ISA, 1 8bit slots, 3 volt button cell, and gui-style AMI bios
AMD 486DX4-100 - K6 hsf now fitted, attached with thermal tape.
32mb RAM
Diamond Stealth Pro VLB graphics card
VLB interface card - seems to be Cirrus Logic vga on it, but I'm just using it for floppy and hard drive support. Has com port pinouts and a capacitor hanging on one wire 🤣.

3.5" floppy drive

5.25" floppy drive
Quantum Bigfoot hard drive
CD drive
MS-DOS 5.0 and Windows 3.11

Running off a Mercury/Kobian 300w PSU that came with the case a few years back, converted to AT pinout. The case has screw-holes in the right place for mounting the motherboard too.

Last edited by ratfink on 2009-11-23, 23:00. Edited 8 times in total.

Reply 1 of 15, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey man you and all the other old people on this forum should ditch these like, ancient computers nad get like um, you know quad core amd or intel at like, 4ghz cause thats way faster.

i have a retro mouse from back in the day still with the box promo floppys and some documentation it's a 3 button.

http://www.tcocd.de/Pictures/Peripheral/Genius/gm6.shtml

Last edited by cdoublejj on 2009-09-20, 13:46. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 15, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

Messing about with retro junk is an exciting hobby. 😀

Yeah, I'm mainly building the 486 for the fun. The first computer I took any notice of was a Pentium 100 with 1 EISA slot, so the 486 isn't exactly reliving my past. But some of us get a buzz from playing old games on original hardware, you get the same kind of behaviour in lots of walks of life.

cdoublejj wrote:

Hey man you and all the other old people on this forum should ditch these like, ancient computers and get like um, you know quad core amd or intel at like, 4ghz cause thats way faster.

Old? 🤣 cheeky whippersnapper!

Reply 4 of 15, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hehehe. 😀 though i would like to try playing on a retro rig the closest i have is a win 98 machine i have grew up on win 98 maily but, my first computer use were dos or old apple PCs in kinder garten but, my real first use was win 3.1 at my day care who then replaced it with a 95 machine then a 98 machine. i use to play starcraft on that win 98 machine all the time with my friend at day care, well it was more of school age before and after program, but what ever i stil have fond memories of the Terran, Zerg and Protoss.

Reply 5 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cdoublejj wrote:

Hey man you and all the other old people on this forum should ditch these like, ancient computers nad get like um, you know quad core amd or intel at like, 4ghz cause thats way faster.

Jumperless easy modern CPUs, piezo speakers and effortless ATX cases? Boring!

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 15, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Give me a modern PC that can both boot into straight DOS/Win 7, run my Lapc-I, AWE32 , Gus, Ensoniq Soundscape 😉

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 7 of 15, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:

Give me a modern PC that can both boot into straight DOS/Win 7, run my Lapc-I, AWE32 , Gus, Ensoniq Soundscape 😉

Tha'd be the day! just bought 2 computers today from PCA one of the local computer stores that i like, 20 bucks for the 2!!! they look just like my pII system as a kid, the owner told me back in the day they sold those cases around my area. just put in my tyan tiger 100 in one of them. I'm leaning towards painting gloss black since the 5incg floppy i drive i'm wanting to put in it is already been done in gloss black it's combo drive with a 3.5" in it to but, you can only use of them at once...and i'm probably thread jacking, sorry.

Reply 8 of 15, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need one of those back plates with a ribbon cable to give me a serial port to connect a mouse on this machine [by connecting to a comm pinout on the VLB interface board]. I've seen two on ebay, but there are straight-connected and reverse-connected versions. Is there any way to tell which I need, short of buying both and trying them out?

Googling indicates that "intel chips" need one and "newer intel and everex" need the other. I can't seen why the processor would make any difference or would that mean chipsets [in which case what about all the others].

Is reverse what you get if you turn the connector 180 degrees [or is there likely to be a blanked off pin]? Or is it more complex than that?

Reply 9 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Amigaz wrote:

Someone was talking about some kind of USB-to-ISA adapter in another thread a while back. Dunno if it would actually work for old sound cards in modern OSes though.

Reply 10 of 15, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update: I got a new/old serial mouse and a new/old 8bit serial card.

Seems to be some voodoo involved in getting it to work. Turn machine on and off a few times and plug/unplug the mouse and eventually the driver loads and the mouse works. Sometimes the driver loads but the mouse does nothing. Switching from pc-dos 5.02 to ms-dos 5.0 seems to have solved this.

Reply 11 of 15, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

For what it's worth, this old pile of silicon bones has now been scrapped. Dosbox seems to be better for what I need, and I couldn't face yet another lot of trouble-shooting, especially as my two main Athlon PCs have started giving STOP errors and I want to upgrade my crappy P4 machine.

Reply 12 of 15, by MartinC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That hardware is for a purpose, a purpose that no one here is trying to achieve.

People here are using these computers as memories of old fun, to do specific audio editing, play loved games as they where meant to be played.

Some are just here to learn.

I have to say lots of times I find my old Win98 machine to be very useful & these old PC's are also very "GREEN" unlike the high watt quads or even dual.

Having said that I'm sure most people here also have modern PC's they use every day, not that there is much skill in it...

Win98 Gold: 1GHz PIII - GeForce2 - Voodoo2 - 768MB - SCSI 😀

Reply 14 of 15, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MartinC wrote:
That hardware is for a purpose, a purpose that no one here is trying to achieve. […]
Show full quote

That hardware is for a purpose, a purpose that no one here is trying to achieve.

People here are using these computers as memories of old fun, to do specific audio editing, play loved games as they where meant to be played.

Some are just here to learn.

I have to say lots of times I find my old Win98 machine to be very useful & these old PC's are also very "GREEN" unlike the high watt quads or even dual.

Having said that I'm sure most people here also have modern PC's they use every day, not that there is much skill in it...

+1

Also it's a way to run/play the hardware and games that we wanted in the past but didn't have the resources. Playing Quake on a Voodoo card in 1996 would set you back around $350, now can be done under 20 bucks. (I had Quake and a Voodoo in 97 but you get the picture) 😁

Reply 15 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All I really enjoy is messing with the old hardware. I just like to try out hardware I never got a chance to play with in the past because of expense. All computer hardware was much more expensive back in the mid '90s and earlier. I really only had access to budget-level hardware back in those days.

I have to admit though that my interest is waning. I've had a go at just about every piece of hardware I've desired. I've replayed the old games I've wanted to. Hell, I've even reconstructed hardware-identical machines that I had in the past!