post up pics of your "computing area"

Topic actions

First post, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's where I spend most of my free time. 😀
My retro rigs on the left and a E1260 at 3.2 w/GTX 260 on right.
I tried a Asus 22" LCD a couple years ago but gave to kids and went back to CRT.
I made the desk, shelves and wall art. 😁

bushwackdesk.jpg

Reply 1 of 2197, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I could have cleaned up, but this is what it looks like most of the time.

Picture%20097.jpg
[/img]

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 2197, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I could have cleaned up, but this is what it looks like most of the time.

I like your extra work area. I have to pile projects on the floor to the left of my desk where there's an open area or take it to the kitchen table.

Reply 3 of 2197, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For a second there I was wondering what you meant by "extra work area", because I usually have trouble finding space on the desk when I need to do paperwork. 😁

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 2197, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You guys are making me miss my desk, which is currently buried in the garage. These days I'm using a laptop on the couch in front of the TV. I'm planning to build a new desktop soon though and set up my desk in a new area.

Edit: Stickied thread 😀

Reply 11 of 2197, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

Holy crap, what are you using 5 MT-32's for?

Polyphony and compatibility.

The left pair are of the "newtype," 2.07 ROM variety, and are in an overflow-assigned configuration. (That gray unit on top is an FG-10, not an MT-32.)

The right pair are of the "oldtype," 1.07 ROM variety, and are in a split MIDI-channel configuration (via the MTP) due to the buggy overflow mode in the 1.xx units.

A number of games feature custom timbres that utilize certain "bugs" present in the 1.xx ROM units, resulting in incorrect playback with the 2.xx models and variants (CM-32L/64, LAPC-I, etc.). Likewise, some soundtracks/effects will only sound correct when played back on the later units and variants.

Reply 12 of 2197, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm shocked...I can see two persons from USA who doesn't have carpet runners on the floor! 😳 😁

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 13 of 2197, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Cloudschatze: Has anyone written up anything on this issue? It would be interesting to know which games have issues with which synths.

@Amigaz: I've never had one of those runner things at home, and I've never caused carpet damage due to not having one. I have one available in the garage now, but I don't know if I'll have room for it where I want to set up my desk in the house.

Reply 14 of 2197, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Amigaz wrote:

I'm shocked...I can see two persons from USA who doesn't have carpet runners on the floor! 😳 😁

I have a carpet plastic mat thing. It produces a truly awesome amount of static electricity. 😀

Reply 15 of 2197, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

@Cloudschatze: Has anyone written up anything on this issue? It would be interesting to know which games have issues with which synths.

It has been discussed at QuestStudios a number of times.

NewRisingSun added a key/legend to the "List of MT-32-compatible computer games" Wikipedia article, which identifies various synth differences/incompatibilities for a number of games.

Reply 16 of 2197, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, thanks. I think I've seen that list but didn't look at it closely enough to see that extra info.

It's definitely an incomplete list as well, as it doesn't mention Wizardry 7 (which I'm playing right now). Interestingly, Wiz7 only uses the default MT-32 patch set (i.e. no SysEx magic), so it actually sounds fine on other synths like my SC-88 that have an MT-32/CM-32 patch set or emulation mode.

Reply 17 of 2197, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's my computing areas - I have 3 of them -

101_0212.jpg

This is my Macintosh, used to browse the Internet and for work;

101_0213.jpg

This is the PC that I will play games such as Wing Commanders 3, 4, Prophecy, and Star Rangers (via DOSbox) as well as Independence War 1 & 2, Tachyon The Fringe (in VMWare Player under Win 98SE/Win XP); this PC will hopefully get replaced soon because it's hardware is beginning to fail by a new Win XP desktop PC;

101_0214.jpg

and this is the netbook that I play my oldies (adventure titles) on via DOSbox, and VPC under Win 98SE

Last edited by Kelly Stiver on 2009-10-29, 15:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 2197, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kelly Stiver wrote:

How do I delete this post?

I deleted it for you, but since you asked:

There's a tiny "X" button in the upper-right corner of the post. I never liked how small (and thus hard to find, read and click) they are.

Reply 19 of 2197, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HunterZ wrote:
Kelly Stiver wrote:

How do I delete this post?

I deleted it for you, but since you asked:

There's a tiny "X" button in the upper-right corner of the post. I never liked how small (and thus hard to find, read and click) they are.

Thanks.