post up pics of your "computing area"

Topic actions

Reply 2120 of 2213, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Irinikus wrote on 2023-06-09, 13:30:

Two days ago I decided to reorganise my computer room, as it hadn't changed much in the last 6 years! (I moved some more systems in, and a few out and now it feels much more spacious!)

nice, every where you turn you'll be surrounded by your tech 😀

Reply 2121 of 2213, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I enjoy mixing vintage tech with everyday items! (My home is full of it!)

I just made this adjustment to my secondary desk, allowing the PlayStation's to be reintroduced to my computer room! (This monitor's also more premium that the two that it replaced!)

4pHFPGI.jpg

YouTube

Reply 2122 of 2213, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Irinikus wrote on 2023-06-10, 07:34:
I enjoy mixing vintage tech with everyday items! (My home is full of it!) […]
Show full quote

I just made this adjustment to my secondary desk, allowing the PlayStation's to be reintroduced to my computer room! (This monitor's also more premium that the two that it replaced!)

4pHFPGI.jpg

Everyday items indeed. Looks just like my desk 😆
I notice you also have somehow acquired a production sample (without the shroud) of the new RTX 4060 there, leftmost corner on the desk ?

Reply 2123 of 2213, by Dwaco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Irinikus wrote on 2023-06-10, 07:34:

Man, I mean your images are always a such marvellous puzzles to unravel, pure joy.

But I do have a few questions.

• Do you actually use keyboard while sitting on this rocking chair? I can imagine holding a controller, but working on that trashcan Mac Pro?
  • Do you actually use Type 6 with something that can produce 80+ fps in 3dmark? I cannot imagine Penguin-type boards can do that (and I am not even sure if V880Z or X4600 support them).
  • Can you sit comfortably at this table without bumping your legs into SGIs of various years constantly?
  • How often do you manage to power on most of your machines?

Thanks for your images!

PC: HP Kayak XU800 [PIII 600EB, 256 Mb RAM, Vodoo3 3000, SB Audigy Platinum EX]
Sparc: Sun Blade 1000 [2x UltraSparc III, 3Gb RAM, 2x 73Gb FC-AL 10k], Sun Blade 100
PA-RISC: HP C3750 [FX10Pro]
MSX2+: Sony F1XDJ

Reply 2124 of 2213, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do indeed sit in a rocking chair while using my Mac Pro. (I just sit forward with a straight back and it's pretty comfortable and I like the fact that it articulates a little!)

I don't sit at my secondary desk, I only use it to run tests on my PC builds and make the occasional YouTube video. (Because my space is constrained, I've placed those SGI workstations where they are, as I have nowhere else to place them at the moment.) If I ever need to sit there, I'll simply move the Workstations out of the way, as they're not hooked up!.

I have some machines that I unfortunately haven't powered up in years. I usually power up what interests me at the time, so I do cycle through most of them from time to time! (As of late, retro PC's are my main focus so the RISK machines are getting a rest for now!)

I've set my Mac Pro, Tezro and PS5 to all use my main monitor and the setup works pretty well! (So I still have easy access to my most relevant SGI when I need it! 😀 )

XrNVwl1.jpg

If you have a Quad 1GHz Tezro such as this one, then you're pretty much covered as far as the SGI/IRIX experience is concerned. (The rest of my SGI's just serve the purpose of being collectors pieces! I have experimented with each of them to the fullest, so I'm pretty much done with them. )

The only two machines that I need to play with are my two IRIS Indigo's, but I still need to get my hands on the proprietary keyboard and mouse needed for this, as well as two compatible SCSI drives with the relevant IRIX installs. (The one is a maxed out R4000/ELAN system and the other is an R3000 with entry graphics!)

YouTube

Reply 2125 of 2213, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always wanted to collect SGI computers but never got around to it. That was in 1990’s when UNIX computer campuses dominated Silicon Valley. ( IBM, Sun Microsystems, Next, HP 9000, SGI, etc ) Their Huge campuses were all over Silicon Valley and California.
And there was allot of used computers for sale.

I wanted a Cray Super computer and Visual SGI PC. I had several opportunities to buy a visual PC but kept putting it off and now they are hard to come by. They are are but gone today. I was able to purchase a New Cray Super computer denim shirt from the Company store before they went out of business. I have a few SGI shirts thats all.

Reply 2126 of 2213, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2023-06-11, 10:36:

I always wanted to collect SGI computers but never got around to it. That was in 1990’s when UNIX computer campuses dominated Silicon Valley. ( IBM, Sun Microsystems, Next, HP 9000, SGI, etc ) Their Huge campuses were all over Silicon Valley and California.
And there was allot of used computers for sale.

I wanted a Cray Super computer and Visual SGI PC. I had several opportunities to buy a visual PC but kept putting it off and now they are hard to come by. They are are but gone today. I was able to purchase a New Cray Super computer denim shirt from the Company store before they went out of business. I have a few SGI shirts thats all.

You can still get into collecting SGI's! (Checkout these two forums, as the members do sell off machines at very good prices from time to time!)

https://forums.irixnet.org

https://forums.sgi.sh/index.php

The Cray 2 is my absolute favourite machine! (Basically Impossible to have one in a private collection unfortunately!)

I do however own complete modules from the Cray 1, 2 and 3! (The three machines which Seymour Cray himself worked on!)

QkhvMhz.jpg

7S4rzfw.jpg

7Q0Q2zQ.jpg

I built this scene containing a Cray 2 using a combined effort between Maya6,5 on my Tezro (For modelling) and Blender on my Mac Pro for final rendering: (I do make good use of the Tezro from time to time!)

oXG3LUC.jpg

fDC5Val.png

BSzTfw5.png

P727i3Q.jpg

The Cray T90's also a beauty!

I'm currently working on modelling a Thinking machines CM-2: (I still need to get back into this one!)

mOJ13H6.jpg

Modelling for this one was also done on the Tezro using Maya6.5 and final rendering was done using Blender on my Mac pro

YouTube

Reply 2127 of 2213, by Dwaco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Irinikus wrote on 2023-06-11, 08:17:

I have some machines that I unfortunately haven't powered up in years. I usually power up what interests me at the time, so I do cycle through most of them from time to time! (As of late, retro PC's are my main focus so the RISK machines are getting a rest for now!)

This the thing I do think about often. Should I acquire something if quite possibly I won't spend enough time playing with it? I lack time even for the ones I have already. I like Jay's Leno attitude towards cars. Cars need to be driven, just like those wonderful machines need to be turned on and used. But again, I am relatively new to this retro computing thing. Kinda all started for me when I got the Sun Blade machine from my work last year (which I actually worked on like about in 2001-2005 with it being a team server at the same time).

I've set my Mac Pro, Tezro and PS5 to all use my main monitor and the setup works pretty well! (So I still have easy access to my most relevant SGI when I need it! 😀 )

If you have a Quad 1GHz Tezro such as this one, then you're pretty much covered as far as the SGI/IRIX experience is concerned. (The rest of my SGI's just serve the purpose of being collectors pieces! I have experimented with each of them to the fullest, so I'm pretty much done with them. )

Hope to acquire an SGI machine some day. Have seen those only during some computer fair > 20 years ago in my city.

Is Tezro dust proof or easy to clean?

I was under impression you don't want to pull Octane boards out often and cannot clean the compression connectors, dunno about Tezros (with it sitting on the floor).

Sparc: Sun Blade 1000 [2x UltraSparc III, 3Gb RAM, 2x 73Gb FC-AL 10k], Sun Blade 100

Reply 2128 of 2213, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I my case, I've spent years using my SGI's, but I have a principal that I try not to sell anything ever, so as my interests evolve I'll end up with more and more machines. (My opinion is why wast your time purchasing something if you're not willing to keep it!)

Unfortunately we as people are limited in our capacity to focus on multiple things at once, so we can't possibly use all of these systems all the time!

As for the Tezro, it's actually classified as a desk side machine, and it has wheels on its base for this purpose. (So they're meant to sit on the floor.)

The Tezro's also allot easier, or less risky to clean than the likes of an Octane with its compression connectors, as it opens up easily like a PC. (The side panels are latched into place)

CPU side:

Jx2GCKu.jpg?2

IO side:

ec281Pp.jpg

YouTube

Reply 2129 of 2213, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kixs wrote on 2023-06-09, 14:10:

Usually... when you ran out of space 🤣

That's when you go up!
Rack.jpg

Reply 2130 of 2213, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2023-06-12, 09:05:
That's when you go up! https://i.postimg.cc/Pxd0dnLw/Rack.jpg […]
Show full quote

That's when you go up!
Rack.jpg

Agreed! 😀 I intend to do the same!

YouTube

Reply 2131 of 2213, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

That's when you go up!
Rack.jpg

Love those beige boxes! Trying to find one not beat up is "mission impossible".

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 2132 of 2213, by Dwaco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Irinikus wrote on 2023-06-12, 04:06:

The Tezro's also allot easier, or less risky to clean than the likes of an Octane with its compression connectors, as it opens up easily like a PC. (The side panels are latched into place)

CPU side:
IO side:

I love it having two sides.
I also love machines engineered as a single entity. Cable management? Which cable management, if you have motherboard(s) and case engineered together?

Reply 2133 of 2213, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dwaco wrote on 2023-06-12, 18:15:

I love it having two sides.
I also love machines engineered as a single entity. Cable management? Which cable management, if you have motherboard(s) and case engineered together?

The Tezro's indeed a neat little beast! 😀

All of the MIPS-based SGI's except the Fuel had incredibly good cable management! (Most of them featured mid planes, so there were no loose internal cables!)

The Octane for example features a mid plane, so there are no internal cables, however it does feature the dreaded compression connectors! (The compression connectors are fine as long as you handle them carefully!)

YouTube

Reply 2134 of 2213, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

That's when you go up!
Rack.jpg

now all you need is a nice keyboard/mouse switch set up to cope with all the machines there!

(btw, is that your 775 [Random 775 - a scrap-tacular 775 build] right on top? 😀 )

Reply 2135 of 2213, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerry wrote on 2023-06-13, 09:42:
Show full quote

That's when you go up!
Rack.jpg

now all you need is a nice keyboard/mouse switch set up to cope with all the machines there!

(btw, is that your 775 [Random 775 - a scrap-tacular 775 build] right on top? 😀 )

already done 😀
Office.jpg

Not the best pic but have 4 KVM's, one per screen next to the CRT
Plus the 3 HP EliteDisplay's have 3 inputs VGA to the KVMs and DVI or DP direct to certain PC's as a 2nd screen. (well the VGA becomes the 2nd screen but you get the idea)
Does mean I need 4 keyboard's and mice, that and what's plugged into which screen does get confusing hence the labels on the screen!

And indeed it is the scrap PC as well as a Socket 7 PC who's motherboard I'm keeping but unlike the junk 775 PC someone very much wanted the AT case even though it's cover is missing.

Reply 2136 of 2213, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2023-06-14, 11:11:
already done :) https://i.postimg.cc/bJqMR9Lf/Office.jpg […]
Show full quote
gerry wrote on 2023-06-13, 09:42:
Show full quote

That's when you go up!
Rack.jpg

already done 😀
Office.jpg

Not the best pic but have 4 KVM's, one per screen next to the CRT
Plus the 3 HP EliteDisplay's have 3 inputs VGA to the KVMs and DVI or DP direct to certain PC's as a 2nd screen. (well the VGA becomes the 2nd screen but you get the idea)
Does mean I need 4 keyboard's and mice, that and what's plugged into which screen does get confusing hence the labels on the screen!

And indeed it is the scrap PC as well as a Socket 7 PC who's motherboard I'm keeping but unlike the junk 775 PC someone very much wanted the AT case even though it's cover is missing.

4 KVMs... so much choice, that is indeed excellent!!

Reply 2137 of 2213, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The retro corner with some Highscreen stuff. Vobis computer stores had these in the Netherlands. German brand.

The AT case (Pentium 200MMX) has almost the original internals, the bigger ATX (Tbird 1GHz) certainly not. 😁

Attachments

• DSC_4511.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_4511.JPG
    File size
    682.89 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 2138 of 2213, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Irinikus wrote on 2023-06-11, 08:17:
I do indeed sit in a rocking chair while using my Mac Pro. (I just sit forward with a straight back and it's pretty comfortable […]
Show full quote

I do indeed sit in a rocking chair while using my Mac Pro. (I just sit forward with a straight back and it's pretty comfortable and I like the fact that it articulates a little!)

I don't sit at my secondary desk, I only use it to run tests on my PC builds and make the occasional YouTube video. (Because my space is constrained, I've placed those SGI workstations where they are, as I have nowhere else to place them at the moment.) If I ever need to sit there, I'll simply move the Workstations out of the way, as they're not hooked up!.

XrNVwl1.jpg

The only two machines that I need to play with are my two IRIS Indigo's, but I still need to get my hands on the proprietary keyboard and mouse needed for this, as well as two compatible SCSI drives with the relevant IRIX installs. (The one is a maxed out R4000/ELAN system and the other is an R3000 with entry graphics!)

Looking at your profile, i'm surprised to not see a flight sim setup !

Very impressive SGI collection. Do you have a personal history using these professionally? Or is it just an interest that came from nowhere? Because it's very "niche" and a quite an unusual collection for sure !

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 2139 of 2213, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
acl wrote on 2023-07-07, 07:16:

Looking at your profile, i'm surprised to not see a flight sim setup !

Very impressive SGI collection. Do you have a personal history using these professionally? Or is it just an interest that came from nowhere? Because it's very "niche" and a quite an unusual collection for sure !

To be honest, myself as well as most of my colleagues are not into home flight simulation!

When I did pilots course back in 2003, all of the flight simulators (cockpit procedural trainers) at our central flying school were powered by SGI computers and that's pretty much where my interest in them started.

Here are some pics of our old dual cockpit sim for the Pilatus PC-7 MKII (Our basic trainer), which was powered by an SGI Onyx back in 2003: (The aircraft have since been upgraded to full glass cockpit rendering this simulator obsolete)

K1d5wxj.jpg

NCBU7ou.jpg

YouTube