VOGONS

My retro 486

Topic actions

First post, by 386DX40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since I can't seem to put everything in one post without having problems typing in the message box, I figured I would start a second post for my 486 system. This system runs Windows 98SE well, and can surf the web using the newest version of the Opera browser! I have also added support for USB mass storage devices via the 'nusb33e.exe' program, and have successfully been able to to transfer files and games to this PC from a 4GB flash drive! The Voodoo card allows me to play GLQuake on this system with no choppiness at 640x480 res. I might eventually go with a Voodoo 3 PCI card so I can try a PCI IDE controller card, as the Sis chipset can't do DMA drive access. I can also play MP3 files on this system while surfing the web with only an occasional stutter. I did try an AMD 5x86 133 CPU, and an Intel DX4 100 CPU before settling on the 83MHz Pentium overdrive. The FPU of the Pentium is necessary to really play any games on the system using the Voodoo card! I also found that all 128MB of memory is cacheable if the L2 is set to write-through in the BIOS!

1. New generic AT case with 250watt power supply.
2. Lucky Star motherboard with SIS 496 chipset. 256k L2 cache.
3. 128MB of memory (4 32MB FPM 60ns SIMMS)
4. Intel Pentium Overdrive 83MHz CPU.
5. Cirrus Logic CL-5446 PCI video card with 2MB memory.
6. Diamond 3dfx Voodoo 1 PCI card for 3D.
7. Creative SoundBlaster 64AWE ISA sound card.
8. 3Com ISA Etherlink III network card.
9. PCI USB 2.0 add-on card with Via chip.
9. LG 32x CD-ROM drive.
10. WD 20GB 5400rpm IDE hard drive with drive overlay software.
11. 3 1/4 floppy drive.

retropc004.jpg
retropc003.jpg

Reply 3 of 24, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

nice machine!!! smells NOS 🤣

yeah...it's too white and shiney 😉

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 4 of 24, by 386DX40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have played Need for Speed II in 3dfx mode and it plays pretty good, as well as GTA 1 in 3dfx mode. I plan on trying Hexen II next to see how it does. When I have some time I plan on running some Quake benchmarks and posting them up as I'm sure everyone is curious. As mentioned above, I'm thinking about putting a PCI Voodoo 3 in the system so I can free up a PCI slot for an add-on PCI IDE card. The SIS disk controller is terrible, and the only time the PC really becomes slow is when trying to move large files around due to the lack of DMA mode and probably bus-mastering as well. Access to a USB flash drive is far faster and seemingly less CPU intensive then accessing the hard drives. I'm wondering what PCI IDE cards out there will work with PCI 2.0 compliant slots though?

Reply 5 of 24, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've run a Promise Ultra66 and SATA150TX2 in a 486. I had a SATA drive in a 486 heh. 😀

But you never can be sure what will work in 486 PCI slots because of how bad the chipsets usually were. Hell, even Intel's PCI chipsets for Socket 7 were picky.

Reply 7 of 24, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is one wicked hot rod of a 486. I mean, your surfing the net, and listening to music? Nice. I'd play old school mechwarrior on it all day long 😀

I think I would go with SCSI over PCI IDE, as that's about the only thing left if you really want to pimp it out. PCI SATA might be good if you can get it working, but I think SCSI will give you better compatibility and performance. Unless you want to have a large disk, bigger than 74 gigs or so, in which case price will likely be the deciding factor as big SCSI drives can get VERY expensive.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 9 of 24, by 386DX40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm running a very stripped down version of Win98SE, using the program called '98lite'. I'm actually even using the Win95 file explorer too, as the program allows you to get away from the more resource hungry Win98 explorer. This program is cool, as it allows you to strip away alot of the extra stuff that isn't needed, yet allows enough functionality that you can still get modern software running such as the Opera browser. See here: http://www.litepc.com/98lite.html

Reply 10 of 24, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never got Opera to run well on my 486. The best browser I could use? Seamonkey. Fastest? OffByOne. Both in Win98SE and Win2000.
Even worse is trying to find a Java Runtime that'll work well (yes, for those kind of sites). For 98SE I stuck to the msjava vm, since that appears to be much faster than Sun's.

I know a Voodoo2 will work on a PCI 486 motherboard, and some games from the early-to-mid '98 era run quite well. Particularily, Battlezone. Since you have the ludicrous amounts of ram RAM, you can get Unreal going without much swapping going on.

I'm speaking from experience of a AMD 5x86, though. That floating point juice in that penty there will help Unreal obviously.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 24, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's no way Unreal 1 would run playably on a 486. Quake 1 is just playable on a 486DX4-120 (although with software rendering).

I did once install Linux on a 486DX4-120 and ran 2 instances of Quake 1 and networked them together, but it wasn't really playable.

Reply 12 of 24, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried Unreal on my Pentium 200 when the Voodoo2's released in 98'. Pretty much unplayable to me until I dropped a second one in (borrowed 😒). I wasn't ready to play Unreal until I paired the Voodoo2 with a Celeron 300A@450.

No way would I attempt to play Unreal on a 486 unless of course, that's all I would ever have.

Reply 13 of 24, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I first played it on my PII-450 (450MHz Pentium II) with an nVidia TNT1 16MB AGP and it had problems because the Direct3D renderer in Unreal 1 was pretty rough at the time. Eventually they smoothed things out and it ran quite well.

Reply 14 of 24, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dude... MP3 files, while surfing on the latest Opera?
Not even my 2.4 GHZ Celeron with 1.5 gigs of RAM
can't do those two without major problems, and
I use Norton 2009 daily to scan for viruses...
Your pretty lucky man, great job on building that
machine, and you say you can surf the web without problems? That is a very decent setup you have there,
by the way, I didn't know a 486 could do all that...

Reply 16 of 24, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

NICE! music and web with 83mhz is cool.

Save energy!

Yeah I dunno, a couple of years ago my mobo bit the dust and I was left with running my retro win98 rig, but upgraded it temporarily to use as my main rig till I built a new system. The upgrades included at celeron @800mhz, 256mb ram, geforce 5200 128mb. The net SEEMED SO SLOW compared to my dead dual core that I was about to pull my hair out waiting for my new equipment to arrive.

I can browse the web on my Pentium 200, which isn't bad mind you cause I'm just playing, But it would be a pain in the arse if I was trying to get some work done. 😵

Reply 18 of 24, by 386DX40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mike, you need to get rid of Norton 2009, that is probably most of your problem! That 2.4 celly with that much much RAM should surf great, it seems like the newer versions of Norton act much like a virus infection themselves! Switch to ESET NOD32 or Microsoft Security Essentials!

Yeah, the 486 surprises me with what it can do, although you do have to a little patient with it 🤣 . I have removed the voodoo card and switched to a Diamond Stealth 3D with the S3 Virge chipset and 4MB of memory. It seems to be more compatible and better performing in DOS then the Cirrus Logic card, and quite frankly the system just doesn't have enough power to really use the voodoo outside of a few early games like Quake. I have also replaced the AWE64 with an original Sound Blaster 16 that isn't even PNP capable, MIDI is much better now!!!!!!!!

My next step is to experiment again with my combo PCI SATA / USB 2.0 card to see if I can get a small SATA drive running on the system and see if I can get DMA support. Not sure if it will work though!

Reply 19 of 24, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386DX40 wrote:

I have also replaced the AWE64 with an original Sound Blaster 16 that isn't even PNP capable, MIDI is much better now!!!!!!!!

Is that possible? Do i need to swap my 64 out for a 16? I'm gonna have to do some sound tests.