VOGONS

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 51, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
This is the oem one, but it doesn't come with the same onboard audio so I don't think this is yours. http://www.uktsupport.co.uk […]
Show full quote

This is the oem one, but it doesn't come with the same onboard audio so I don't think this is yours.
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/pegasus.htm

Edit2: This is the correct one, with SiS 530 chipset. But again, different onboard audio (ESS Solo-1)
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/miami.htm

None of the both boards have the same layout with mine. Mine is identical with the Jetway 531CF above, but it shipped without any driver discs in a plain box. Just the box, motherboard, and serial port header extension.

By the way, why do you call the Jetway boards as 'Throwaway'? Is it really bad so it has to be 'thrown away'? 😁

On the past (1999 or so) my school uses a lot of this board along with K6-II chips, but it seems since 2004 they moved into intel 478s 😁

Reply 41 of 51, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Imo Jetway isn't exactly a tier-1 mobo manufacturer. In my personal list of mobo manufacturers, Jetway lingers somewhere along the bottom (with the bottom position occupied by PC-Chips and it's 20 clones 🤣 ).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 42 of 51, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, Jetway and PC-Chips are in the low-end market, until now. I have ever used a PC-Chips S478 actually, which is quite reliable (running 24x7 for a week without any restarts, no bluescreens coming).

Is there any converters so I can use later Pentium II/III on this board? Or should I stick with Pentium 2-equvalent K6s? Those K6 are hard to find today, and Intel Pentium III processors stock are flowing like a torrent nowadays.

Reply 43 of 51, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MatthewBrian wrote:

Yes, Jetway and PC-Chips are in the low-end market, until now. I have ever used a PC-Chips S478 actually, which is quite reliable (running 24x7 for a week without any restarts, no bluescreens coming).

Is there any converters so I can use later Pentium II/III on this board? Or should I stick with Pentium 2-equvalent K6s? Those K6 are hard to find today, and Intel Pentium III processors stock are flowing like a torrent nowadays.

You're stuck with Socket 7 cpu's.
The best cpu's for your board would be the K6 mobiles, the K6-2+ and K6-3+.
Second best would be the (older) K6-3.

The K6-3+ comes with 256kb L2 cache and the K6-2+ with 128kb L2 cache and both are overclockable to 550Mhz and often 600Mhz.
The K6-3 has 256kb L2 cache and will run at 400Mhz or 450Mhz, but run much hotter and their power consumption is about twice that of the mobiles.
After this comes the ordinary K6-2. It can be clocked to 500Mhz, sometimes 550Mhz and has NO L2 cache.

And if you're daring, you could try a Cyrix M2 2.2v part or an overclocked P1-mmx, both often running at 300Mhz and both have no L2 cache either.

The best graphics card for your board imo would be a PCI Voodoo 3.

If you really want P2-P3 then I'd suggest you get a Coppermine (S370) board. They are dirt cheap and abundantly available, running at 1000Mhz and with AGP 4x slot. The P6 architecture comes with the added bonus that it has WAY better FPU performance.
A step further lies the Socket A platform (or P4, if you don't mind having an electrical heater in your living room) but prices are a bit higher for those. Also you'll need DDR ram, which is somewhat expensive atm.

Reply 44 of 51, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I already had a Pentium 4 motherboard complete with its DDR RAM and AGP graphics card (Nvidia Riva TNT2 32MB - slow for 2000-era games). Asus P4S333, Intel Pentium 4 Northwood 1.6Ghz, but overclocked to 2.13 (it is "switchable" from the BIOS setting on the board). It has no harddrive, optical drive and casing because I used the case for another Intel Atom board. 😀

It is not hot, and using that PC for a few hours doesn't make the room warmer 😀

Back to the topic, what if I put an Intel Pentium 166 (non-MMX) and overclocked it to 200 or so? 😀

Reply 45 of 51, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I made a new topic solely for discussing mainboard manufacturers 😉
Post your list of (un)favorite motherboard manufacturers here!

Your P4 isn't hot as, at 1.6Ghz and being a Northwood, it produces 'only' about 50W, which is about 50% more then a P3-1400, which happens to also be about 25% faster then your chip.

And about the 166mmz, many had limited multi's, meaning the 3x and 3,5x multi's were disabled.
You can try to run it at 2 x 100Mhz or maybe even 2.5 x 100Mhz (with a bigger cooler)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 46 of 51, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Your P4 isn't hot as, at 1.6Ghz and being a Northwood, it produces 'only' about 50W, which is about 50% more then a P3-1400, which happens to also be about 25% faster then your chip.

And about the 166mmz, many had limited multi's, meaning the 3x and 3,5x multi's were disabled.
You can try to run it at 2 x 100Mhz or maybe even 2.5 x 100Mhz (with a bigger cooler)

P3-1400? I just heard them today as I think the fastest P3s are 1000Mhz.. are they overclocked?

P3s doesn't have SSE2 and SSE3, either. 😀

Pentium 4 system prices are falling down. Here I can get a Pentium 4 (s478) motherboard along with its processor for around 40 US$.

About the 166Mhz, I had a bigger Socket 7 cooler along with its fan, so I think cooling is not really a problem, but I only worried if the processor emits smoke (and fire?) when I turned that thing on..

Reply 47 of 51, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

P3-1400? I just heard them today as I think the fastest P3s are 1000Mhz.. are they overclocked?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_III#Tualatin

Great chips, but they came out when the P4 was already around. So Intel didn't "push" them at all.

The P3 DNA ended up flowing into the mobile chips (Dothan I believe). It was a great design...

Reply 48 of 51, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_III#Tualatin […]
Show full quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_III#Tualatin

Great chips, but they came out when the P4 was already around. So Intel didn't "push" them at all.

The P3 DNA ended up flowing into the mobile chips (Dothan I believe). It was a great design...

Intel's current cpu's are loosely based on the P3, actually.
The Tualatin was a great chip. It's at least as fast as a P4 2Ghz but with only half the power consumption.

I never was a fan of Intel's Netburst architecture...

Reply 49 of 51, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ran into some trouble with a new game, Starcraft 2. So far since everything has gone swimmingly after I built the i3, but SCII seems to want more power to run smoothly in 1920x1080. I'm getting around 15-20fps, but even V-Sync can't hide the fact that my hardware IS struggling.

I was reading that the game runs a hell of a lot better with 1 gig on the graphics card. My card (ATI 4770 512MB GDDR5) runs fine in medium details at 1440x900. I know that if I overclock the CPU to 4.0Ghz I get a 33% boost in minimum framerate in SCII (which would make a LOT of difference, so I'm gonna do it). However OC'ing the CPU will be pointless until I upgrade my graphics card. So the best option for me is to buy another 4770 and SLI them. I have read that 2 4770's draw less power and are faster than any single card within £50 of the price, and I can get another for about £70 from Ebay.

I swear to god after I drop a second 4770 in this machine it's DONE and I'm gonna concentrate on building my older beasts. It's christmas in a few days and I can finally unwrap my dremel.

Reply 50 of 51, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Iris030380 wrote:

Ran into some trouble with a new game, Starcraft 2. So far since everything has gone swimmingly after I built the i3, but SCII seems to want more power to run smoothly in 1920x1080. I'm getting around 15-20fps, but even V-Sync can't hide the fact that my hardware IS struggling.

I was reading that the game runs a hell of a lot better with 1 gig on the graphics card. My card (ATI 4770 512MB GDDR5) runs fine in medium details at 1440x900. I know that if I overclock the CPU to 4.0Ghz I get a 33% boost in minimum framerate in SCII (which would make a LOT of difference, so I'm gonna do it). However OC'ing the CPU will be pointless until I upgrade my graphics card. So the best option for me is to buy another 4770 and SLI them. I have read that 2 4770's draw less power and are faster than any single card within £50 of the price, and I can get another for about £70 from Ebay.

I swear to god after I drop a second 4770 in this machine it's DONE and I'm gonna concentrate on building my older beasts. It's christmas in a few days and I can finally unwrap my dremel.

I'm confused. Are you GPU limited, or CPU limited, or both?

Reply 51 of 51, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm GPU limited. After reading a lot about the game, apparently Starcraft 2 works well with any decent Dual Core CPU (perhaps excluding the Pentium 4 D's). I have an i3-540 (dual core with HT), which I OC'ed to 4.2Ghz. This CPU is overkill for Starcraft 2. My ATI 4770 however is not so good. Putting 2 together should almost double my framerates and allow me to play in 1920x1080 at Ultra Settings (as I will have 2x512MB GDDR-5).

The 4770's are amazing for the price, but alas they are getting old. Buying 2 of them for SLI is prbably still the best £ to power option though.