VOGONS

NEW BUILD

Topic actions

First post, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have almost everything... just waiting on an AKASA HS+FAN (with red LED's) to arrive from ebay and I'm off. I have ready, cleaned and waiting...

Generic black Mid Tower Case <new>
300 Watt PSU
AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1333Mhz CPU (UC'ed to 1Ghz)
ASUS Socket 462 Mobo
2x128MB Crucial PC133 SDRAM
2x20GB IDE 5400rpm HDD's
Geforce 3 Ti 500 64MB AGP 4x
2xVooDoo 2 8MB PCI SLI <new!>
Creative Soundblaster 1024 PCI
DVD +/- RW
Logitech RX PS2 mouse <new>
Logitech Deluxe PS2 keyboard <new>

The stock cooler that I pulled from the old machine made a constant death rattle, but the AKASA cooler is brand new and heavyweight, meant for an Athlon Barton, so coupled with the 5400 drives the only noise should come from the small Geforce 3 fan, and the CLICK! of the VooDoo beasts when I fire up Carmageddon.

I made some stencils from card using blown up fonts printed onto paper, and managed to buy some cheap project-paint platikote aerosols from work - midnight blue, bright white and rusty orange. Gonna lightly sand the case, spray it all midnight blue, dremel out "SLI" and stencil in VOODOO 2, add a white neon behind the cutout and finish with an original 3dfx logo which I'm having made at a friends graphics shop.

Wish I could do it now, but it's gonna have to wait until next week. 😮 😉

Reply 1 of 6, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds like a solid build. Just a few questions...

Why are you underclocking? Old DOS games?

What clicking of the Voodoo 2's? The computer monitor click or do the V2's have a mechanical relay, if so what models are the Voodoo 2's as I've only heared of a V1 with relays.

Gonna need pics of that case when it is finished!

Make sure you get the patches for Voodoo 2 cards on Carm1 and Carm1 Splat pak.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 2 of 6, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah ... So the Voodoo 2's don't click? I didn't know that, I was just hoping they did.

I'm underclocking because even at 1Ghz the Athlon is still too powerful a CPU I was hoping to build the system with, but the entire machine was sat hidden in my girlfriends attic so I just had to use it. Originally, I was planning on getting a fast P3 (1-1.4Ghz) and UC'ing to about 667 - 733, but nevermind. 1Ghz is the lowest setting I can use on the current motherboard. I won't be DOS gaming at all, as long as I get no problems with Screamer 2 or Carmageddon in 3Dfx mode under windows 98se. Incidently, the last time I tried Carma 3Dfx with a V2 it didn't work, and now I know why. So I need patches... 😁 OK.

The case is sprayed it's base coat and is drying as we speak... working on it more over the weekend. Looking REALLY nice so far. I'll get pics when it's done, and already have my next 2 ideas lined up ... doing a white/red/black Quake III case (housing a 1.4GHz P3 with a GF3 deluxe) and then a Max Payne case, contents unkown so far... thinking about it).

Lastly, I've decided to use my TNT2 Viper alongside the V2's in this build - the GF 3 is just too overkill and humiliates the VooDoo's. 😐 AND I WON'T HAVE THEM HUMILIATED!!! 😳 😠

Reply 3 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On the Thunderbirds, you can use a pencil to unlock the multi 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 6, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some of the later Thunderbirds even came unlocked from the factory.

My mate had a 1.33GHz Athlon which was factory unlocked. I think it was only a certain revision/stepping though, not all of the 1.33GHz Athlons were unlocked.
But even so, the procedure for unlocking them is simple.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 5 of 6, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, only the Orchid Righteous 3D Voodoo 1 had mechanical relays when switching to 3D. If you want to hear it or even learn more about more 3Dfx equipment checkout: http://thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/index.htm (relay sound will play when you go to "Voodoo Graphics" link)

Gary donovan (owner of that site) has quite a bit of collectible 3Dfx equipment which makes me jealous 😀

If your not playing older DOS games which require slower CPU's then there is no reason to downclock unless running unstable or less voltage.

🤣 about your GF3. I run a GF4 Ti 4600 with my V2 12mb SLI cards. While nice to have them for legacy GLIDE gams it's better to have some grunt for a few games with 32bit color and high resolution! That GF3 Ti 500 is a pretty awesome card at that. It was also a pretty hard to make card as well with high yield failure rates.

You want humiliation, a modded Voodoo 5 5500 with 128mb (64mb stock) ram will do that more than enough! 😀

EDIT: one thing I may note is that the TNT2 will probably play better with VESA 2.0 games like Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, Blood without running extra apps to fix it. My Voodoo 5 5500 surprising plays those games better than my GF4 card with NOLFB and NOLFBLIM patches.