VOGONS

First post, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all.

I've got my old PC up and running again.
And it's doing great.
Got the win98SE OS running stable and when I want to, it also boots to MS-DOS and runs almost every DOS game.

System Specs:
AMD K6-2 450Mhz.
512MB SDR PC133 CL2.
40GB WD HDD IDE, split up in 2GB Fat16, 2x 18GB Fat32.
52x CD-ROM Player.
STB 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 64MB.
AWE64 Gold ISA Sound card.
Samsung Syncmaster 1100P 21" Screen.
ADMtek 10/100Mbit Network Card.

Running all pretty smoothly and fast.

Still, I'm searching for a KX133 or KM133 Chipset Mainboard.
With of course ISA and AGP 4x that is 2x compatible.
If I could only get my hands on a Slot A 1Ghz Processor and Mobo,
I would be the happiest guy on the planet.
*The Search continues.

Builds:

Xp3000+ gf3 ti200 + vd2 SLI 12MB + 768MB + SB live @ WinXP & 98 Dualboot.

P2 350mhz + Diamond Viper V550 + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB + AWE64 + 128MB SDR @ msdos / win98.

Reply 1 of 4, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you can use kernel ex for xp compatibility i use it my laptop for internet such as palemoon fire fox 3.5. i don't know about 1ghz but, i may be able to help with slot a.

Reply 2 of 4, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello 😉

I've posted a reply in your other thread:
Searching for Hardware.

There are a couple other options available if you're looking for a fast board with ISA.
You basically have these choices:
BX chipset.
+ Very common, very stable, often with 3 ISA slots
- Only AGP 2x, Only official support for 100Mhz FSB (overclocking will make the AGP bus run out of spec by a lot), 100Mhz FSB P3's that are FAST are somewhat uncommon, needs adapter if you want a Tualatin, no support for high density SDRAM modules (will see only halve of total memory, usually)

VIA 694X
+ Official 133Mhz FSB, AGP 4x, most come with ISA, supports up to 1.5GB SDRAM (if you find a board with 3 DIMM slots)
- VIA has a name for being more unstable, but since ALL fast ISA boards are VIA, this point is really moot.

VIA 694T chipset:
+ Same as 694X, but with official Tualatin support
- Same as the 694X, many don't have ISA slots but a lot of them still do 😉

KX133/KT133
+ KX133 (Slot A) and KT133 (Socket A) support ISA slots
-These boards will NOT support 133Mhz FSB, resulting in the fastest chip available to be the uncommon Thunderbird 1400B (1400C is 133Mhz FSB)

KT133A
+ The fastest boards available that have native support for ISA slots in the chipset, supports 512MB SDRAM modules (officially)
- Most do not have any ISA slots, even though the chipset actually supports them!, many of these have PCI latency problems when using the "SoundBlaster Live!" soundcard, No SSE support native to anything predating Athlon XP, boards that actually support Athlon XP are not that common and often only unofficially. At your own risk!

And the last option:
There are in fact much faster boards made that have ISA slots, even up to Core2Dual boards! But these are industrial boards and literally cost hundreds of Euro's!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 4, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good post Tetrium. A couple of points:

* There's about half a dozen manufacturers who made the KT133A chipset based mobos with 1 ISA slot: Epox, Abit, QDI, Soltek, Jetway, and there's at least one more who's name escapes me. In that list, the first 2 are the best.

* In your group list, you can add the 2 ISA slot AMD Irongate 750 chipset based socket A/462 Gigabyte GA-7IXE4 mobo. Officially, they support all thunderbird CPUs, and also the rare 1500+ rated 100MHz (200 DDR) Palomino CPU. However, you can use a 2100+ 133MHz (266 DDR) Palomino, and set the board's FSB to 115 giving you a real clock speed of 1.5 GHz. Gigabyte also released this board for Slot A CPUs, but it isn't as flexible in terms of CPU upgrades.

On my i440BX Asus P2B, when you overclock the FSB from 100 to 133, the PCI is kept in spec at 33 MHz. There's also a 2 settings jumper on the mobo called AGPFS. I'm not sure what it does. The mobo is a rev 1.12, but the manual I am reading is for version 1.02. It doesn't mention this jumper. I wonder if this jumper could help reduce the speed of the overclocked AGP port?

However, I have experienced no problems with various AGP cards @ 150 MHz FSB on this board, and so I haven't been inclined to test this jumper yet.

Reply 4 of 4, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retro games 100 wrote:

Good post Tetrium. A couple of points:

* There's about half a dozen manufacturers who made the KT133A chipset based mobos with 1 ISA slot: Epox, Abit, QDI, Soltek, Jetway, and there's at least one more who's name escapes me. In that list, the first 2 are the best.

Azza KT133A maybe?
I had one myself and loved it although he's right that Epox and Abit had better reputations.