VOGONS

Retro Rig Photo Thread

Topic actions

Reply 2480 of 2740, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is my newly finished 286 build. More of my computer builds are available on my website.

Am286-16 01.jpg
Filename
Am286-16 01.jpg
File size
677.18 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Am286-16 02.jpg
Filename
Am286-16 02.jpg
File size
306.76 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Am286-16 03.jpg
Filename
Am286-16 03.jpg
File size
578.48 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2481 of 2740, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2023-08-17, 13:58:
This is my newly finished 286 build. More of my computer builds are available on my website. […]
Show full quote

This is my newly finished 286 build. More of my computer builds are available on my website.

Am286-16 01.jpg

Am286-16 02.jpg

Am286-16 03.jpg

Nice. I have an affection for 286s.

Reply 2482 of 2740, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eesz34 wrote on 2023-08-17, 14:06:
This is my newly finished 286 build. More of my computer builds are available on my website. […]
Show full quote

Am286-16 01.jpg

Am286-16 02.jpg

Am286-16 03.jpg

Count me in as well. That case looks brand spanking new inside. Is that a NOS PSU? So shiny... Never understood people who place the CDROM in the lowest drive bay though... 😀

Reply 2483 of 2740, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pan069 wrote on 2023-08-17, 14:53:
Show full quote

Am286-16 01.jpg

Am286-16 02.jpg

Am286-16 03.jpg

Count me in as well. That case looks brand spanking new inside. Is that a NOS PSU? So shiny... Never understood people who place the CDROM in the lowest drive bay though... 😀

That case was in an incredibly miserable condition when I bought it, and had a 386SX-20 system inside. I've done a meticulous cleaning of it inside out, thank you 😀

CD-ROM at lower bay makes it easier to change things on the upper bays (such as hard drives etc.) in these cases. I eventually hope to add a 5.25" floppy to this build, probably at the middle bay.

Reply 2484 of 2740, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, a genuine 286 case, connected to a Sony Bravia LCD TV, and one of thse those el-cheapo HP business keyboard. And Sennheiser HD202, if I am not mistaken. I used to own a pair. Loved them and hated them at the same time.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2485 of 2740, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

Am286-16 01.jpg

Am286-16 02.jpg

Am286-16 03.jpg

Very nice, indeed! Is it some version of Sim City?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 2486 of 2740, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-08-17, 17:23:
Show full quote

Am286-16 01.jpg

Am286-16 02.jpg

Am286-16 03.jpg

Very nice, indeed! Is it some version of Sim City?

It is A-Train by Maxis/Artdink 😀

Reply 2487 of 2740, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote on 2023-08-17, 17:13:

Wow, a genuine 286 case, connected to a Sony Bravia LCD TV, and one of thse those el-cheapo HP business keyboard. And Sennheiser HD202, if I am not mistaken. I used to own a pair. Loved them and hated them at the same time.

The keyboard and monitor are from my test bench, but correct on all accounts.

And yes, an HD202. I quite like it for what it is 😀

Reply 2488 of 2740, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2023-08-17, 15:41:
pan069 wrote on 2023-08-17, 14:53:

That case was in an incredibly miserable condition when I bought it, and had a 386SX-20 system inside. I've done a meticulous cleaning of it inside out, thank you 😀

CD-ROM at lower bay makes it easier to change things on the upper bays (such as hard drives etc.) in these cases. I eventually hope to add a 5.25" floppy to this build, probably at the middle bay.

Good to hear that, because I just noticed something was missing.

I typically put CD drives at the bottom too. I don't know why.....it might be because the first CD drive I got went into a 286 that already had both floppy drives, and so the bottom was empty. So it went there!

Reply 2489 of 2740, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is my newly finished 286 build.

That's a very hansom machine. My 286 is long gone but I did some benchmarks on it once - they might be of interest if you wanted to compare that bad boy to something. Mine was a 16Mhz, 1MB RAM (I think), and I had the exact same case as you.

Re: It's 286 time!

Bloody photobucket killed all my photos, I should fix that.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2490 of 2740, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote on 2023-08-24, 06:39:

I've found PostImages.org and Cubeupload.com to be reasonable alternatives to Photobucket.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2491 of 2740, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote on 2023-08-24, 06:39:
That's a very hansom machine. My 286 is long gone but I did some benchmarks on it once - they might be of interest if you wanted […]
Show full quote

This is my newly finished 286 build.

That's a very hansom machine. My 286 is long gone but I did some benchmarks on it once - they might be of interest if you wanted to compare that bad boy to something. Mine was a 16Mhz, 1MB RAM (I think), and I had the exact same case as you.

Re: It's 286 time!

I have a question about this case, and I'm glad you had it as well.

How the hell is the Turbo button supposed to be hooked up to the botherboard? As is, the button connects directly to the 7-segment LED display and changes what speed it shows, as well as changing the Turbo LED to on/off. There is no connection to the motherboard Turbo Switch header I can see. I have to press the Turbo button, then manually do CTRL+ALT+[+]/[-] which is very annoying. How can I connect the Turbo button to both?

Reply 2492 of 2740, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2023-08-24, 08:31:

I haven't had that case for years so can't remember the specifics, but yeah it doesn't seem to be standard. Usually how it works in my experience is that the case switch connects to the motherboard's 'turbo switch' header, and the motherboard also has a 'turbo LED' header which connects to the MHz display and/or turbo LED.

I'm pretty sure that's how my 286 worked. But if your motherboard doesn't have that second header then you might need to do some magic wiring so that the switch drives both the motherboard and display.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2493 of 2740, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote on 2023-08-24, 23:12:

I haven't had that case for years so can't remember the specifics, but yeah it doesn't seem to be standard. Usually how it works in my experience is that the case switch connects to the motherboard's 'turbo switch' header, and the motherboard also has a 'turbo LED' header which connects to the MHz display and/or turbo LED.

I'm pretty sure that's how my 286 worked. But if your motherboard doesn't have that second header then you might need to do some magic wiring so that the switch drives both the motherboard and display.

My motherboard does have the Turbo LED header, but that header is basically a standard 5V header IIRC (0r 3V3?) and I can connect the LED output from the motherboard to the display and that will result in:

1. Button Pressed
2. Motherboard engages Turbo/DeTurbo
3. Turbo LED Turns On/Off

But as you can see the LED control board now has nothing plugged into its OWN Turbo Button header and does not know that the button has been pressed, so the LED display does not change between 16/8.

I need to find a way to connect the Turbo button so that it closes both the board's AND the display's Turbo Button circuitry at the same time. Without connecting the two together in parallel in the process, I would think? How does this work, it kind of drove me crazy until I had to meditate for a day and stop the OCD monster in me..

Reply 2494 of 2740, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2023-08-25, 06:39:
My motherboard does have the Turbo LED header, but that header is basically a standard 5V header IIRC (0r 3V3?) and I can connec […]
Show full quote

My motherboard does have the Turbo LED header, but that header is basically a standard 5V header IIRC (0r 3V3?) and I can connect the LED output from the motherboard to the display and that will result in:

1. Button Pressed

But as you can see the LED control board now has nothing plugged into its OWN Turbo Button header and does not know that the button has been pressed, so the LED display does not change between 16/8.

I need to find a way to connect the Turbo button so that it closes both the board's AND the display's Turbo Button circuitry at the same time. Without connecting the two together in parallel in the process, I would think? How does this work, it kind of drove me crazy until I had to meditate for a day and stop the OCD monster in me..

Some old cases had a DPDT switch for the turbo, one that went to the display, and one that went to the mainboard.
Some cases only had a SPDT switch that went to the display switching the display indication and a transistor that then switched the mainboard.
Some other cases had the switch going to the mainboard and used the turbo led to switch the display indication.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2495 of 2740, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
weedeewee wrote on 2023-08-25, 12:47:
Some old cases had a DPDT switch for the turbo, one that went to the display, and one that went to the mainboard. Some cases on […]
Show full quote
My motherboard does have the Turbo LED header, but that header is basically a standard 5V header IIRC (0r 3V3?) and I can connec […]
Show full quote

1. Button Pressed

Some old cases had a DPDT switch for the turbo, one that went to the display, and one that went to the mainboard.
Some cases only had a SPDT switch that went to the display switching the display indication and a transistor that then switched the mainboard.
Some other cases had the switch going to the mainboard and used the turbo led to switch the display indication.

This one has a DPDT switch, but a wire is not soldered onto the second row of terminals. I need to solder one then, that's a mystery solved!

Reply 2496 of 2740, by suasponte

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Long time lurker, first time poster.

This is the machine that got me back into retro computing after moving from the US to south east asia over a decade ago.

HP Brio BA410. These used to be everywhere in the late 90s, early 00s, but i seldom see them now. I Rescued this one from one of our datacenters back in 2016. It spent most of its life as a telco server, running Windows NT 4.0 and some sort of enterprise grade software which escapes me now.

I took it home and fitted it with an old Geforce FX 5200, cf card adapter, and new optical drive. It went into storage for a few years and i just got it out, seemed to have yellowed a bit, but I can't be bothered to retrobrite it. Windows 98 Se booted up just fine.

I've since focused on vintage laptops due to space concerns out here, so this is one of my few vintage desktops. Might post those some day if there's interest. I stick to the pentium 1-4 era primarily as im most nostalgic of this epoc(s).

Specs:
1ghz Pentium III Coppermine
512mb SDRAM (pc133)
64gb CF Card
GeForce FX 5200 128mb AGP 2x
3com 10/100 nic
Integrated audio
Windows 98SE with unnoficial SP3

Attachments

• 20230825_170044.jpg
    Filename
    20230825_170044.jpg
    File size
    1.18 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Brio BA410
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2497 of 2740, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2023-08-25, 13:02:
weedeewee wrote on 2023-08-25, 12:47:
Some old cases had a DPDT switch for the turbo, one that went to the display, and one that went to the mainboard. Some cases on […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

1. Button Pressed

This one has a DPDT switch, but a wire is not soldered onto the second row of terminals. I need to solder one then, that's a mystery solved!

They look like this:
http://www.suntekpc.com/htm-2/power-switch-pu … urbo-3p3c-2.htm
Two wires from one of the rows go to the motherboard - three wires from the other row go to the turbo display

Reply 2498 of 2740, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whats with all the cookies..? 🤨

cookies.jpg
Filename
cookies.jpg
File size
91.27 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2499 of 2740, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Because of obligated rules for websites, depending on where you live.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856