VOGONS

Cyrix C3 and 486/AMD K-6 builds in progress

Topic actions

First post, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm gonna start putting together two computers with some of my spare parts(and I'll go buy anything I'm missing). I will keep track of my builds in this thread.

Build #1: Formerly a Pentium II system, now a Cyrix C3 system. This is what I'm going for:

-Cyrix C3 1GHz underclocked all the way to 133MHz
-At least 64MB of RAM
-Matrox Millennium II graphics card
-Various sound cards(either a SoundBlaster AWE64, SoundBlaster 32 or any Yamaha sound card, be it ISA or PCI hooked up to an SB-LINK connector)
-Soyo SY-6BA+ motherboard with Intel 440BX chipset

Build #2: Either a 486 or AMD K-6 system. What I'm going for in this build:

If it's a 486:

-Intel 486DX4 or any Intel 486 Overdrive 66MHz or faster
-At least 16MB of RAM
-S3 Trio 64V+ graphics card
-OPTi 82C930 or SoundBlaster Pro 2.0 sound card
-Motherboard doesn't matter as long as it's not PC Chips junk

If it's an AMD K-6:

-AMD K-6 200MHz
-At least 16MB of RAM
-Matrox Millennium II graphics card
-SoundBlaster 16 sound card(one of the bigger SoundBlaster 16s)
-Motherboard doesn't matter as long as it's not PC Chips junk(I do have three Socket 7 motherboards, but two are dead(one is made by PC Chips, so I have no complaints there, but the other board has an Intel chipset on it... crap) and one has a VIA chipset on top of having numerous bulging capacitors

I've started work on the Pentium II build, but is has already has hit two roadblocks:

1) Many of the capacitors on the motherboard have leaked or bulged. I'll need to get every capacitor on the motherboard replaced.
2) The BIOS chip is missing.

First thing I'm going to do is replace all the capacitors on the motherboard. I can get a Flash ROM to flash the BIOS for the Shuttle motherboard(I will hot flash the ROM on another computer - I've already done it before with success, so don't freak out). I just need a link to the latest BIOS version for the motherboard.

Last edited by Ace on 2011-06-05, 23:06. Edited 2 times in total.

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 1 of 102, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The voodoo 3 is overkill for a P2. hell, even a pair of voodoo 2's can make a 333-p2 work for its money. Personally i'd go with the awe64 for the P2. And you ALWAYS max out the ram. (with a p2 dont go over 512mb)

having a k6-2 system and a p2 system is just redundant.

the 486 looks good. again i'd go with the sb 2.0 over anything else.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 102, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awesome! Should be an interesting project!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 102, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm already using my Voodoo 2(a Diamond Multimedia Monster 3D II) in another computer as the Voodoo 3 in that one seems to have issues with certain games(I got two identical Voodoo 3s in one shot, so I'm trying to find some use for the second Voodoo 3). I did find a 550MHz Pentium III, but that CPU is dead, so I can't use it. The only spare Slot 1 CPU I have is a 266MHz Pentium II, so I decided to go with that. It's mainly meant as a test computer for old sound cards.

The 486/AMD K6 computer(NOTE: the CPU is NOT a K6-2 but rather a plain K6) is meant as an extra MS-DOS gaming PC for use in a little classic computing center I'm going to put together. I'll have that computer alongside a Packard Bell Legend 316SX(runs on a 25MHz AMD 386SX), an IBM Personal Computer 300PL(runs on a 500MHz Pentium III) and a few old Macintosh computers(Power Macintosh 6100/66, Macintosh Quadra 700, PowerBook 5300, Macintosh G4, eMac and a Macintosh Classic once I find one).

When I was at my local flea market last week to pick up an OPTi 82C930 sound card, the booth owner told me he had a motherboard on which a 486DX4 Overdrive was installed(I think he said it came from an old Dell computer). If I can go see him again this week, I'll pick up the motherboard, a good case and an AT power supply and get started on my 486 build. Though I would still like a motherboard on which to fit my AMD K6(it's currently sitting in a crummy PC Chips motherboard - an AMD K6 deserves better than to be installed on a motherboard made by the worst motherboard manufacturer in history).

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 4 of 102, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're only using the 1st build as a test pc then that P2 is ok, but from personal experience the difference in performance from pairing a Voodoo3 with a 500Mhz Katmai vs a 800Mhz Coppermine is staggering.

Reply 5 of 102, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wouldn't bother replacing caps on a Slot 1 board, it's easier (and usually cheaper) to simply get another Slot 1 board.

The Katmai 550 may not be dead, I've found cleaning the contacts with a paper cloth and some rubbing alcohol turns "dead" Slot 1 CPU's back to life on more then 1 occasion 😉
Also with Slot 1 it's important to make sure you put it in the slot deep enough. I've found many of the newer "half open" Slot 1 CPU's are not hold down by the 2 plastic CPU thingies and basically gets all it's support by the Slot 1 motherboard connector alone, so be sure to push it all the way down 😉

I wouldn't bother using any board with even 1 bulged cap, it's not worth the trouble as trouble is all you're guaranteed to get.
(Super) Socket 7 boards are relatively common on Ebay as long as you don't buy from those sellers who hope to sell some crappy board for 200 bucks.
Btw, I presume you're looking for an AT Socket 7? Or would an ATX Socket 7 board also be alright for you?

Anyway, good luck! 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 102, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

I wouldn't bother replacing caps on a Slot 1 board, it's easier (and usually cheaper) to simply get another Slot 1 board.

Capacitor replacements have always helped whenever I've had problems with any piece of electronics having some serious issues(the Sega Game Gear comes to mind, but this is a game console, and I could get different results out of recapping a computer motherboard).

Tetrium wrote:

The Katmai 550 may not be dead, I've found cleaning the contacts with a paper cloth and some rubbing alcohol turns "dead" Slot 1 CPU's back to life on more then 1 occasion 😉
Also with Slot 1 it's important to make sure you put it in the slot deep enough. I've found many of the newer "half open" Slot 1 CPU's are not hold down by the 2 plastic CPU thingies and basically gets all it's support by the Slot 1 motherboard connector alone, so be sure to push it all the way down 😉

Heh... I do the same with game console cartridges, but replace the alcohol with Windex. I find Windex works better to clean copper contacts than alcohol. I don't think I ever cleaned the 550MHz Pentium III. I'll try that out later today on my IBM Personal Computer 300PL(it's one of two Slot 1 computers I currently have working and is easier to work in that the other one, which a Personal Computer 300GL).

Tetrium wrote:

Btw, I presume you're looking for an AT Socket 7? Or would an ATX Socket 7 board also be alright for you?

AT or ATX Socket 7 for the AMD K6 doesn't matter. I would prefer something like my stupid PC Chips board and my Socket 7 motherboard with VIA chipset: both AT and ATX power connectors on the motherboard. I assume ATX Socket 7 motherboards need -5V?

I think I'll go for 3 builds if I find a good 486 motherboard and a good AT/ATX Socket 7 motherboard to fit my AMD K6. I want to use my K6 and I've been dying to get a 486 computer put together.

One last question: I have two Slot 1 motherboards with built-in Yamaha YMF740 sound cards. Who makes those boards? If I can't get the Shuttle AV61V14 to work, I'd like to get another one of those motherboards(the ones I have are dead: they turn on by themselves as soon as power is applied and don't POST).

Reply 7 of 102, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

The voodoo 3 is overkill for a P2. hell, even a pair of voodoo 2's can make a 333-p2 work for its money. Personally i'd go with the awe64 for the P2. And you ALWAYS max out the ram. (with a p2 dont go over 512mb)

having a k6-2 system and a p2 system is just redundant.

the 486 looks good. again i'd go with the sb 2.0 over anything else.

What's wrong with going over 512MB? Is there a chipset limitation? I know the 440BX chipset can support 1GB (but that usually works out to 768MB if the board only has 3 dimm slots. The OP is going with a VIA chipset though so it could support less.

Reply 8 of 102, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For the Pentium II, unless you're running Windows 9x, put in all the RAM you want though after 512mb, you might have plenty of RAM going to waste.

Windows 98SE, aside from not having much use for more than 512mb, tends to not like running with more than 512k.

If you're speaking from a cache standpoint, if I'm not mistaken, if you have more RAM than the mobo can cache, you still have a portion of ram cached and the uncached portion will still be faster than the swap file.

Reply 9 of 102, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe the pentium 2 only had a cacaheable area of 512MB. So going over 512MB may actually reduce performance.
This is a processor limitation since the L2 cache and its controller are located on the processor - whereas with the previous generation Pentium the L2 cache was on the motherboard and the controller was part of the chipset, so cacheable area was a chipset limitation.

I believe the Pentium Pro could cache up to 4GB of memory so it was better for server configurations with huge (for the time) amounts of RAM.

EDIT: I just googled it and apparently the 512MB limitation is only for Klamath (66MHz bus) versions, while Deschutes and later could cache up to 4GB.
Apparently there are chipset limitations as well, 440LX is 512MB while 440BX is 1GB.
http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/index.php/t-397589.html

Also apparently Coppermine and later P3's could cache up to 64GB of memory, which seems strange as being a 32-bit processor they could only address 4GB of main memory???

Reply 10 of 102, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GXL750 wrote:

Windows 98SE, aside from not having much use for more than 512mb, tends to not like running with more than 512k.

In my experience, 98SE has stability problems even at 512MB of RAM. The Unofficial Service Pack that's floating around fixes it.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 11 of 102, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SavantStrike wrote:

What's wrong with going over 512MB? Is there a chipset limitation? I know the 440BX chipset can support 1GB (but that usually works out to 768MB if the board only has 3 dimm slots. The OP is going with a VIA chipset though so it could support less.

I will only go for VIA if the motherboard I found will work after being recapped and after it gets a new BIOS ROM. I'd like to use a motherboard with an Intel 440BX chipset, but if the Shuttle motherboard works fine after being recapped, I'll stick to that. If the motherboard's dead, I'd like to find a motherboard with an Intel 440BX chipset, an SB-LINK connector and a built-in Yamaha YMF740. Since I have access to those motherboards, I'm gonna look them up.

Reply 13 of 102, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DonutKing wrote:

I believe the pentium 2 only had a cacaheable area of 512MB. So going over 512MB may actually reduce performance.

Will it reduce performance for all of the memory or just memory above 512mb? Either way, then if you actually fill over 512mb of ram, your system would still run better than if it had to spill over into page file. If the latter, then would you really notice?

Reply 14 of 102, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Only the 1st P2's had the 512MB limit. Later ones had the cacheable area go up to 4GB

Clicky here, then do a search for "Pentium II 233 MMX"

Seems Klamath had the 512MB limitation while Deschutes went up to 4GB

Edit:Theres 1 reason not to just put some random PC-133 memory in a board. It might cause inexplicable problems if for some reason different modules don't work together well.

Personally I tend to stick to using memory of only 1 type of density in order to avoid potential problems.

Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 102, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:

Apparently there are chipset limitations as well, 440LX is 512MB while 440BX is 1GB.

I have a feeling that the LX and BX limits might be exactly the same.
Officially LX only supports up to 128MB per memory module while BX supports 256MB memory modules, but from my own experience LX works with 256MB memory modules just fine 😉.
I'm not 100% positive about the 512MB limit LX officially has, but seeing it's half of the BX limit, perhaps it's double the official number as well?

And 512MB is more then enough for 9x. Even 256MB is plentyfull 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 102, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GXL750 wrote:
DonutKing wrote:

Will it reduce performance for all of the memory or just memory above 512mb? Either way, then if you actually fill over 512mb of ram, your system would still run better than if it had to spill over into page file. If the latter, then would you really notice?

There wasa thread about this in Marvin recently, basically yes going over your cachable area reduces performance across the board. You are better off with the lesser amount of cahed RAM than a larger amount of partly uncached RAM. Windows tends to allocate memory from the top down so it will hit the uncached area first.

Reply 18 of 102, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good point about the Win9x memory limits.

Oddly enough, I've never run into stability issues at 768MB of SDRAM or 1GB of DDR, even with 256mb video cards (so yeah, I've gone asking for trouble and had none that I could detect). But then again I have only been using the systems for gaming, and none of the chips has been slower than an 800mhz Coppermine.

Reading about the 4GB cacheable memory limit on the later PII's makes me want to try that though, but only on 2k or above as 9x is limited to 2GB 😀. 64GB for the PPro and the Xeons is really impressive.

Reply 19 of 102, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

Even 256MB is plentyfull 😉

I know. Outdoing the RAM is overrated especially since you're never going to utilize it all at once anyway. 512MB won't make XP smooth.