VOGONS

First post, by flupke1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While surfing the net on dual Tualatin configs, I stumbled upon this forum where I might fit in. As to assess my entry, I present to you my Intel PR440FX Mainboard, onboard SCSI and 640 MB of EDO Ram in Dimm-form.

It has been upgraded some time ago from 2 PPro 200's to 2 333 MHz Pentium Overdrive beauties, running 512K cache at full speed.

It ran win2k superbly, but has been too long stacking up dust, so to your amusement I pulled it out of the cupboard and fired it up.

Attachments

• Filename
    DSC_2405.JPG
    File size
    99.31 KiB
    Downloads
    749 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    DSC_2402.JPG
    File size
    74.03 KiB
    Downloads
    743 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    DSC_2403.JPG
    File size
    81.13 KiB
    Downloads
    769 downloads
    File license

Reply 1 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome aboard! That looks like some serious EDO DIMM's you have there!

Got any more rigs btw? You mentioned Tualatin 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 27, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

640mb of ram? thats a weird amount... re-seat the ram. akaik they only made 64,128 and 256mb dimms. You should have either 768mb or 1024mb.

also, I LOVE those first two dimms in that board. The big sticks in the "T" shape. they used to be so expensive. I remember having to buy 16 of them for a quad p-pro back in the day.

*oops*

I just re-did my math. looks like 2x 256 and 2x 64. 😜

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 5 of 27, by flupke1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the comments!

The EDO dimms were found off Ebay for a ridicolously low price. I'm quite happy I have them, and I keep close to them 😀.

The dual Tualatin will arrive shortly, I've been looking around for a set of dual 1,4S, and finally found a set consisting of a Supermicro board, coupled with two of those beauties and a whalloping 2,5 GB of Sdram.

I never thought it did justice to a Tualatin to couple it with an i815e mainboard, which only supported 512 megs... (and the Via 694T were considerably slower).

I have dual socket 5 and dual socket 7 mainboards, all in AT-format, but I can't post working pictures of them, seen that my last AT power supply has kicked the bucket.

More to come if you want 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    DSC_2407.JPG
    File size
    92.19 KiB
    Downloads
    575 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    DSC_2412.JPG
    File size
    91.86 KiB
    Downloads
    559 downloads
    File license

Reply 6 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
flupke1 wrote:

More to come if you want 😀

Definitely! 😉

The thing with VIA or Intel (with it's 512MB limit) is a handicap for sure.
For a 9x rig 815 is the way to go if you want Tualatin but for NT5 I think a server board could actually be the best option.
Not sure how much buffered SDRAM modules go for, but I got a small handful for hardly anything?

Of course theres a few more options for Tualatin:
The SiS635T chipset (iirc only 1 or 2 boards made with this chipset, kinda with PC-Chips quality) or the VIA 266T chipset thingy (the VIA P3 chipset that supports both DDR and Tullies) which afaik only come in dual s370 boards.

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 27, by flupke1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thx for the info on the Tualatin chipsets, I once saw a dual on the Via 266T, that was performing quite well, but Intel's push to shove the Willamete down our throats killed the tuallie...

Next up some other pics, first is a socket 7 Intel branded board, nothing spectacular, it's a 430TX chipset, coupled with 2*64 EDO ram (why EDO? I had those sticks lying around:)). It has a nice Matrox Milennium + memory daughtercard. The mainboard is a very nice pull and still performs without hiccups.

Then for something different, no working pics unfortunately due to broken AT power supply. The mainboard is a Tyan S1562 double socket 7, with two 200 MHz Pentium cpu's installed. MMX did not work on this board, and due to the HX chipset it only works with EDO ram. It has a cache module installed and I hope to see it functioning again one day.

Another up is the Asus PCI/I-p54NP4, that's a mouthful. It's a dual socket 5 board with an eccentric touch: you could use 3,3V power supplies instead of the usual 5V power supplies. If you used the normal AT supplies, you had to install in one of the PCI-sockets a convertor, as shown. No idea where they used such a cumbersome approach. Two P133's installed and 4*32MB simms. Chipset is the NX.

Attachments

• Filename
    intel.jpg
    File size
    192.81 KiB
    Downloads
    559 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    Tyan.jpg
    File size
    167.34 KiB
    Downloads
    564 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    asus.jpg
    File size
    200.62 KiB
    Downloads
    564 downloads
    File license

Reply 8 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You do realize that 430TX can't cache more then 64MB if not using a K6-III or a K6+, right?
Going over 64MB might actually decrease performance

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 27, by flupke1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thx Tetrium, I didn't know that. The Asus P5A will be the better choice over this TX board for a K6-III, I presume (according to the info on the Intel site, the board doesn't support the lower core voltage of the K6-II/III.

Reply 10 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
flupke1 wrote:

Thx Tetrium, I didn't know that. The Asus P5A will be the better choice over this TX board for a K6-III, I presume (according to the info on the Intel site, the board doesn't support the lower core voltage of the K6-II/III.

Np mate 😉

Intel had the habit of making their boards as un-upgradeable as they possibly could, going as far as releasing a BIOS update that added nothing except making their boards not post anymore when someone tried to install a Tualatin with an adapter

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 27, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
flupke1 wrote:

While surfing the net on dual Tualatin configs, I stumbled upon this forum where I might fit in. As to assess my entry, I present to you my Intel PR440FX Mainboard, onboard SCSI and 640 MB of EDO Ram in Dimm-form.

It has been upgraded some time ago from 2 PPro 200's to 2 333 MHz Pentium Overdrive beauties, running 512K cache at full speed.

It ran win2k superbly, but has been too long stacking up dust, so to your amusement I pulled it out of the cupboard and fired it up.

I hope you appreciate just how lucky you are to have a machine with not one, but two Pentium II Overdrives. They are extremely rare and people pay a lot of money for them these days.

Reply 12 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
flupke1 wrote:

I hope you appreciate just how lucky you are to have a machine with not one, but two Pentium II Overdrives. They are extremely rare and people pay a lot of money for them these days.

Yep. I only got one of those and it came without the fan aw 🙁

Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 27, by flupke1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had them off Ebay in the UK when I lived there in 2003, they came boxed, and I still have one of the two boxes. No idea how much I paid for them, but I lived on a student's budget, so it can't be that much. I even bought during the same period a Voodoo 5500 on PCI with a Mac Bios, which I reflashed to fit into a PC. Sadly, the guy I prepared the pc for, sold it off without consulting me...

You win some, you lose some 😉

Reply 14 of 27, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apparantly, I should have come here more often, my old account is inaccessible. So I'm back here, and the dual PproOverdrive is humming next to me, whilst installing windowsXP.

I'll post pictures of my Dual Tualatin set, based on a Supermicro P3TDE-6; with 2 1400 MHz PIII-S and 1,5 Ghz of Reg SDR ECC ram.

Reply 15 of 27, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picture of the Tualli.

Current hardware:

AGP: Matrox G55

PCIX 3V 66MHz: Adaptec 39160

PCI: Maxi Sound Fortissimo
PCI: Adaptec AUA-2000/3100LP USB 2.0 controller

Externals:

Iomega Zip250
Samsung Floppy
Panasonic LF-D201 DVDRAM (SCSI)
Plextor PX-116A (to be replaced by PleXwriter 24/10/40A)

Attachments

• 1-IMG_0183.JPG
    Filename
    1-IMG_0183.JPG
    File size
    69.48 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 1-IMG_0182.JPG
    Filename
    1-IMG_0182.JPG
    File size
    181.35 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 16 of 27, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The PR440FX motherboard still on sale in eBay in new condition, more than 10 item. probably the seller fail to attract power user and enterprise.

Your machine looks pretty good, I want to build one with PR440FX in new condition!

Reply 17 of 27, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
flupke11 wrote:
Picture of the Tualli. […]
Show full quote

Picture of the Tualli.

Current hardware:

AGP: Matrox G55

PCIX 3V 66MHz: Adaptec 39160

PCI: Maxi Sound Fortissimo
PCI: Adaptec AUA-2000/3100LP USB 2.0 controller

Externals:

Iomega Zip250
Samsung Floppy
Panasonic LF-D201 DVDRAM (SCSI)
Plextor PX-116A (to be replaced by PleXwriter 24/10/40A)

Oh yeah, what is your motherboard?

Reply 19 of 27, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PR440FX can do 1GB (4x256MB) that is what I have in mine along with dual 333 overdrives I got new in the box 15 years ago. makes a nice Win2k system. Prices for 440fx boards on ebay are way too high, got mine from Compgeeks.com way before they changed their name to geeks.com.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software