First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the updated cleaner version

Here you find my other systems:

NEC V20 XT BUILD: NEC V20 XT SUPER TURBO 8088 BUILD
VTECH LASER 8086 XT/3 TURBO 10MHZ SYSTEM: VTECH LASER 8086 XT/3 TURBO 10MHZ SYSTEM
MY IMPRESSIVE 286 12/16 SYSTEM: My impressive 286 system!
MY ROCKING AMD 386-40MHZ: Rocking AMD 386 DX 40Mhz system build
MY ROCKING AMD 486 - 133 MHZ SYSTEM: MY ROCKING AMD 486 - ??? MHZ SYSTEM VLB
MY OLDSKOOL PENTIUM 1 SYSTEM: MY OLDSKOOL PENTIUM 1 SYSTEM
MY INTEL PENTIUM III BASED WIN98SE SYSTEM MY INTEL PENTIUM III BASED WIN98SE SYSTEM
MY 32-BIT COMPATIBLE OLDER SYSTEM LATER ON

This where my previous ideas if the system i wanted to build:

AMD Athlon 1400 socket a processor FSB 133mhz
ABIT KT7A-raid socket a VIA KT133A chipset
512MB 133mhz
Samsung T166 320GB sata (for now, maybe change it later to ATA one)
CD / DVD drive
Asus Geforce 4 TI 4400 AGP 4x 128MB
Terratec DMX 1024 PCI soundcard (because of the sensaura 3d )
1.44MB floppy drive
2x Creative Voodoo2 SLI
Lan NIC PCI card.

Only i had some problems with that abit motherboard.. It didnt supporting the processors i wanting to use.. I didnt choose the Pentium III tualatin way because these boards and most S462 seems more harder to get then the older vintage stuff like 386 and 486. Socket 7 boards.. Also the prices of tualatin stuff is just ridiculous, so i choose the way that was cheaper for me in the end.. Because i think this stuff isnt very special, so i dont want to spend to much on the hardware, but just want to build a compatible system rig that could run that period of time of games that where played.

I am not going further with the K7A board because it doesnt support the processor i want to use..(one special REV of this board did, but its hard to find one) My recently Soltek- SL75kav-X did, but if i red some reviews about that board, they wherent much promising. (the board should be unstable and performance wise a bad choice, was the most bad preforming boards out there.)
I had also looked at S462 boards with 266mhz system bus, these boards are scarce as well.(most have a bad capicator plague, and also using bad cheap components) I had found one board in my environment that was free, but had bad capacitors. And it was more a hassle to buy that board..so i didnt do it.
So i hadnt really much choice here.. Then i also looked for 333mhz boards, but then the boards had only 5 PCI slots on the motherboard.. The older having 6 pci slots.. So if i had a dual slot cooler on the graphics card then i had 4 slots left.. Because i also needed a NIC card and a seperate better sounding soundcard and 2x voodoo 2 SLI then i just running out of slots..
I thought if it shouldnt be better if i could find a motherboard thats having the NIC intergrated on the board itself, so i could save one pci slot for other add-on cards..
Guessing it would be a better bet to find on the internet for a board that isnt very expensive and meets my expectations.

I found on ebay on the the latest S462 boards that where still available. The price wasnt bad either so i go for that one.
And that motherboard was: MSI K7N2 Delta-LSR (actually i didnt know the difference about LSR and FSR, but now i know that the LSR is a cheaper version of the FSR. But iam not really disappointed.

- The motherboard soundcard i dont going to use (would be disabled in bios) (in that time period the onboard sound wasnt much quality at all)
- The NIC is a Realtek 10 / 100 on ( its just fast enough for this build)
- Doesnt have firewire (platinum version did) This standaard isnt very much used at all (some did, but that public wasnt very big) I dont miss it at all.

I had already bought an NEW FSR, but there was some trouble with it, the seller had let me know that some stuff where missing (iam still waiting on that one)
And i had bought a spare FSR from germany. Only that board needs to be recapped near the cpu socket.. Because those three boards using to same cheap caps near the sockets i will recap all the boards now..
I had also ordered 100 pcs off japanese capacitors (HQ) so recapping should soon be done..

And guess what?? I want to make this system a little bit more special then a regular system, it should be watercooled it now!. Iam also going install the parts in an other old case i have here.
The case would be the coolermaster HAF932 for now.. Why? I thought off selling this case because iam not really proud of it (dont like the looks) But its already free usable part for me.. So why should i buy a new case now?
The case having some missing part.. I will solved this by buying a new part on coolermaster webshop.. The other thing why i going to use this case it because its designed for water cooling, and thats what iam going to do.
I had some problems with the CPU waterblock, because the motherboards iam going to use doesnt have through holes through the board, so sadly i cant use a d-tek fusion cpu blok on this board. But i already find a solution to this..
Because i wanted to tackle the dual slot problem here, i decided to go for watercooling instead. It also a nice gimmick to the whole system.
So i choose a full RARE waterblock:

jua2kn.jpg
I bought two of those because i want to have a spare if something might go wrong. Guess what cpu block iam going to use?? 🤣

More will come soon.

Last edited by Robin4 on 2015-08-29, 19:04. Edited 17 times in total.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 65, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its nice to see someone as crazy as I am! WOO!!!

nice build, but i'd make a few changes.

#1 having a geforce 4 AND a pair of voodoo2's is kinda redundant.
#2 more ram. I think 3x 256mb ddr400 sticks would make it nice
#3 During this time, the soundcard market was taken by storm with the MX300 And the soundblaster audigy. I had the mx300 and it was one HELL of a card.

I'm making a similar system but i'm going to stick with SLOT A and a pair of voodoo's.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 65, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The geforce 4 card is to play newer games on that system like games that wouldnt support 3dfx.. I have taken the geforce 4 because its almost the fastest on this rig that i could take, so there wouldnt be a graphical bottleneck.

Yes i can put more ram in, but windows 98 se official doesnt support more then 512mb of ram.. Then i need to manual configure some settings to work with 1 GB max. or install the unofficial SP 2.1a

About the soundcard. I have here an Monstersound MX200 with daughtboard (dream 4mb) and an monstersound mx300.. I can try both out. But i think i would love the DMX 1024 more..

And i can access a full 320GB under this OS i dont why? But i think this is really funny.. 320GB on FAT32 on windows 98 se. hehe. 😁

Reply 4 of 65, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see you've been bitten by the retro computing bug 😀
so far I've got a 286-10, 386-40, 486-100, Pentium 2 Vooodoo SLI rig... plus two Amigas and a not-currently-working IBM 5150... plus a few old consoles...
I barely find the time to give them the attention they deserve 😀 let alone finding space for them....

To be honest, the game speed issue isn't really a big problem... the vast majority of games work on my 486 if I disable turbo and cache. But I can certainly understand the goal of building up and collecting as many old computers as you can 😀
Anyway, I agree that the two Voodoo 2's plus a GF4 is a bit of a strange combination.
What Glide games are you planning to play?
Perhaps a single V2 or even a PCI voodoo 3 would serve you better.

512MB is plenty... win98 can have problems with more than that. Any game that would really benefit from more than 512MB would probably run fine on XP anyway.
DDR is nice but hardly essential. The Athlons were certainly snappy enough with standard SDRAM. That KT7A is an SDRAM board anyway and won't support DDR. Again, I wouldn't bother with DDR for a 98 machine.
When I bought a new Athlon XP 1800+ with 512MB DDR back in the day, I put XP on it.

Also, for hard disk sizes over 128GB, make sure you have the latest BIOS for your board, as earlier versions do not support 48 bit LBA and you may have trouble down the track with large drives including loss of data.

Reply 5 of 65, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've honestly never heard of the terratec. All I know is with A3D games like unreal really shined.

Also the the 512mb max on win98 isn't totally accurate. I can go into detail, but if you visit this page: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showt … -memory-systems it should shed some light on whats REALLY going on.

You have 3 slots in that board, and i'm suggest 3x 256mb sticks so it really not that far fetched. Also, why would you NOT use the sp 2.1a?

Reply 6 of 65, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Iam already using SP2.1A

And iam also tested some software..

Using clamwin as virus scanner.

Kernelex to use different browsers..

I tested also allmost all browsers.

Firefox 3.6 did work, but was almost really slow.

Explorer, Opera, Safari didnt work.. They crashed on install, or where to heavy to use..

The only browser that really fast is the K-meleon browers.. I didnt look really bad at all and its very fast with browsing.. The only cons are that you cant use youtube... But thats not a problem for me, because i have an other system for that.. But browsing working very nice.. I think that this browser is highly recommend to use for such slower systems.
Maybe think of putting more memory in.. But very happy with this system.. 🤣

I typing this on my Athlon 850Mhz, 512MB PC133 Kingston, 320GB SATA, Geforce 4 TI 4400 AGP 4x machine.. 😜

Reply 8 of 65, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

Robin4: for dos you can use Fprot antivirus.

We no longer offer F-PROT Antivirus for DOS. Please refer to F-PROT Antivirus for Windows or our products for other platforms for your needs.

Older versions yes maybe, but only looking for actual useable versions.

Reply 9 of 65, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So basically you have to beg some kind member of getting you the latest (last) revision of Fprot for dos to you ? anyway check this lovely out 😀

http://www.f-prot.com/download/home_user/download_fpdos.html

Damn I'm good 😁 Also you can use google, and write dos antivirus too.

Reply 10 of 65, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

using up to date anti-virus programs seems a bit silly. the only viruses that will work in dos are the old ones! I've never been sold on the whole anti-virus thing. Then again, i practice safe sex on the internet so the vast majority of the sniffles I would get i avoid entirely.

Reply 11 of 65, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always can think of networking those computers together.. and scanning with an updated scanner over the network.. if this is possible..

Reply 12 of 65, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You mention running Quake on a k6-350. Software rendering? A k6-2 is not all that powerful for software rendering. I have run Quake on comparable K6-2 and pentium 3 systems and there is no comparison - pentium 3 is miles ahead. For software rendering the k6-2 was fine.

Reply 13 of 65, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well yes, AMD K6 are not good for gaming, or video playback, Pentium II and III are far more better. AMD Athlon is a whole other thing. It bats Pentium III and 4 to the ground.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 15 of 65, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Athlon and P3 Coppermine/Tualatin are pretty much practical equals at similar clocks.

A cheap Duron vs. Celeron/K6/P2 is much more interesting. 😁

Wouldn't it just mow them down? Duron more or less = P3 Coppermine clock-for-clock ?

Reply 16 of 65, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ya I had some friends go from K6-2 to a Duron and it was just an unreal boost for them. The performance per clock is practically a Tbird and you also have a jump in several hundred MHz from a nasty slow K6-2. It could quadruple frame rates in some 3d games.

Reply 17 of 65, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Iam going to change my rig..

New processor and other motherboard..
Iam change it to an Athlon XP one, because Athlon thunderbird doesnt support SSE instructions, so thats negative if you still want to use internet on it..

I have also having an Pentium 4 laying here.. But that one uses to much power consumption to my opinion.. And Pentium 3 isnt also an option for me..
If i want to use a Intel 1400mhz.. I have to look for a special motherboard..
And they mostly havent any ISA slot on board anymore.

Iam still busy with the XT computer rig.. Need to wait when i have an working floppy drive controller..

I think the otherones are dead.. They dont want to read 720KB floppy anymore. So i have to wait on new ZILOG IC controller logic chips, and hoping the will live again.. When that is finished i can install dos on the scsi harddisk.. Drive is working, but controller says there is no system installed on scsi device.. So i think he ment there is no Operating System installed on the harddisk..

And iam also working on my Windows XP / Win7 32-bit rig..
This month i had bougth a set of GEIL Black dragon 4GB memory..
I only need to wait on that case.. I will buy an corsair Graphite white one for it.. If this is done i can replace my main rig at this moment, it still crashes on the webbrowers, and i dont like to reinstall the OS at this time..
Because there is a lot of important data on it.. And iam not happy with loose that..
But the XP / Win7 32, will be very easy to build..

I will have..

Processor (for now): Pentium E6700 Duo core 45nm ( iam looking for an Q9550S / Q9650 to replace it with.)
Motherboard: Asus PQ5 DELUXE P45 WIFI Edition DDR3.
Memory: GEIL black dragon 4GB PC-12800 CAS 8.
Harddisk: (need to think about that.. maybe waiting on Seagate XT hybrid one.) ( thinking of using 2 seperate drives for dual boot)
Sound: Auzentech X_FI Forte 7.1 ( Audigy 2 ZS could use to, but with driver conflict; no hardware acceleration on winxp , probilly the X-FI is the best option here.)
Graphics: Thinking of using an 6850 (because its powerfull enough and power draw is very economic..) maybe have to wait when 7800 serie arrives and hoping it will be more power efficient.)
Addon: ASUS U3S USB 3.0 controller
CPU- Cooler: Boxed for some time, corsair H70 i have laying here..
Rest:

USB card reader..
Floppy drive 1.44mb.. ( if i need to copy to floppy for older systems)

The PSU i will take it from this working system. Its an Seasonic S-12 380watt.. (may replace it for an havier one, but dont think i need one)

Reply 19 of 65, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tomorrow my new computer case will arrive, iam ordered it yesterday.. So that was very quick.. Only having to wait when it arrives here..

It will be the corsair Graphite T600 White Limited edition one.. Because i love the quality of this case..

If it arrives here, i will make an new topic for that build.. This system will be soon ready, so it can replace my main configuration for some time till Intel Ivy bridge will arrives..(after that it will be for vintage games) Then i have a really faster computer for the surfing stuff on the internet.. And i think the new motherboard would maybe arrives tomorrow too for the fastest Win98se system build.. That would be an Soltek SL-75KAV-X one.. Uses PC 133 SD-RAM, i have unlimited of those modules here..
But to nice news is the board is an KT-133A chipset motherboard and is almost the only one board that has an ONE ISA slot on it and would support Athlon XP processors till about 2400+.. Most boards dont got futher then Athlon Thunderbird 1400mhz..