VOGONS

My GLide PC

Topic actions

First post, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I touted it in my 486 post, so here it is in all it's vintage glory. Supposed to be ca. 1998 w/ a few deviations. Mostly for old racing games w/ my Playseat and Actlabs Force RS setup.

Asus P3V4X MoBo
Intel PIII 850MHz (256kB L2 cache)
384MB (3 x 128MB DIMM) Viking PC-100 RAM
Matrox Millennium II 8MB AGP 2x
STB Black Magic 100MHz Voodoo2 12MB x 2 (in SLI)
LSi i4 MegaRAID 511 ATA Controller (ATA100 + on-board I/O + 16MB cache = 0% CPU utilization!)
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz 5.1 + Yamaha DB50XG Wavetable
Cisco AiroNet Mini-PCI WiFi w/ PCI adapter + RP-SMA antenna
IBM Deskstar 15.2GB EIDE HDD x 2 (RAID 0)
BenQ 56x EIDE CD-ROM
Teac 1.44MB Floppy
Windows Me

dcp01525.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dcp01524.jpg

Last edited by 7cjbill2 on 2011-10-28, 22:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Will pay $$$ for:

caching ISA I/O-IDE controller

PM me for my list of trade-ables...

Reply 1 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

small pictures are small!!!!

Also, is that an alpha heatsink I see? Those things are AWESOME.

Very nice setup! I wouldnt do wireless but thats just me. ( i HATE wireless)

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 10, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks! Yes, it is an alpha heatsink w/ some replacement fans. Know what you mean about wireless, I more-or-less did as an intellectual challenge getting wifi to work with Me.

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 3 of 10, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got an I4 megaraid in my p-pro machine. Not a bad ide raid card..... mind you, I wouldn't be using old IBM deskstars in raid-0.... that's itching for trouble. A single modern drive would be a better bet for performance and less likely to fail - if your card is the same as mine it should support up to 200gb individual drives. I ran a raid-5 of 4x 200gb drives in Linux as my main file store maybe 7-8 years ago with one of them.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 4 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the same IDE raid card as well. It was stupid cheap on ebay if I remember right. Truth be told, what I "wish" to do is get 8x 20gb of the old quantum bigfoot drives. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Bigfoot_ … 28hard_drive%29

I just like those drives and I DONT KNOW WHY.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 5 of 10, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you had good luck with them? I worked in a hospital back in the late 90's and we could COUNT on those bigfoots failing in the Compaqs that we had...we were so confident in their ability to eventually fail that we "enouraged" them before the warranty went out by letting it spin up and hitting it with a hammer.

I didn't plan to do RAID 0 with that card and those drives, but it worked out that way when I set it up. I may change it eventually, now that I have the system basic and situated. I can back it up and re-do it properly. I think the card was $6 or so.

I thought about getting another card and using 4 CompacFlash adapters with 8 microdrives just for grins.

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 8 of 10, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's the front shot. Just a generic case, note the trademark infringement Windows logo made from the little vent perforations at the bottom. 😀 The PSU is just some generic 250-watt that came with the case...it's one of those captive ones, you won't slide it out without removing the CD-ROM first!

dcp01526.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 9 of 10, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

We like to see all cases, even if they're generic. 😉 Did you replace the bottom 5.25" and 3.5" covers? If they came with the case, it's interesting how only those two sections yellowed.. and it's interesting how different plastics and flame retardants react to light.

Reply 10 of 10, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't replace them, I more-or-less got it that way, so no telling what a PO did. I replaced a 32x CD w/ the 56x, though. I've a nice slot-loading IDE CD-Rom, but it's only 16x...may switch to it anyway, though, just for uniqueness.

Will pay $$$ for: