VOGONS

Netburst ORGY

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is the Intel 875P the top chipset for these CPUs? AFAIK it has PAT technology which boosted performance compared to the cheaper 865 chipset.

After this, did the P4 move to socket 775? Basically I'm wondering if the 875P was the "best" chipset for socket 478. Or was there a 900 series chipset for socket 478 as well?

Reply 21 of 30, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As far as I know, the 865 lived on up until 2006 or so for use in the incredibly low end systems. 875P I an pretty sure was the best 473 chip from Intel. The 915 and up use LGA775.

The so called PAT on the 875P wasn't much more than Intel removing certain wait states that were present on the 865. Supposedly, you can hack the 865 to have it. I'd say the main argument for the 875 would be that, as a more expensive chip, the motherboards using it are more likely to be of higher quality and have better features. Also, there are variants of the 865 that only support 533mhz bus.

Reply 24 of 30, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting. First time I've seen s478 and PCI-E on the same board. With the 915 board on that site, it looks wierd because it has PCI-E and AGP. Also appears to have integrated video. Man, what a clusterf**k of a board. Both of the mentioned boards were probably marketed to people upgrading vs. building new.

Reply 25 of 30, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea Asrock was know for these "hybrid" boards 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 26 of 30, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Yea Asrock was know for these "hybrid" boards 😀

I didn't like Asrock at first as their Socket A boards often were hit with the capacitor plague. But when they started releasing their funky boards and improving their quality...😁

And anyway, I've managed to identify the Intel board I have (sorry for hijacking this thread again, hope you don't mind too much sgt76), it's an Intel D865GLC. It's already on my testbench (thanks to your thread sparking my netburst interest 😜) and right now I'm contemplating what to mix it with.

What I do like about netburst boards is they often have lots of memory slots.
I also found a couple SDRAM boards which I believe only support the slowest 400Mhz FSB CPU's (so no support for the 533's and 800's) which is a shame really.
I know SDRAM and netburst is a bad mix, but as I have the stuff laying around and plenty of SDRAM, I might as well try out SDRAM+netburst as well 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 27 of 30, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bought an Asrock 775i65G and a C2D X6800 for it. 🤣. Regardless of their claims of support for 1066 CPUs, this board has to warm up for a bit before it's stable at 266/1066. It won't even get past post initially. At 200-250MHz it is fine though.

Also, they lock the DRAM:FSB ratio to the 133mhz setting with 1066 CPUs, meaning that at lower FSB settings the DDR400 is hideously underclocked. This is annoying because I bought the X6800 for more flexibility from it's unlocked multi, such as running 3GHz on 800 FSB. The BIOS even lacks multiplier adjustment so you have to do that within the OS.

I think the best CPU for this board is probably the 800MHz 2.6GHz E4700.

/end of crazy self centered tangent!

Reply 28 of 30, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've heard of Xeons on the 875P but Core 2 Duo on an 865 sounds plain silly. I wonder how the same Core 2 Duo would compare when installed in a proper motherboard with DDR2 and PCI-E video and a chipset meant for the chip... Still, I'll bet it was a pretty easily affordable way into dual core computing at the time.

Reply 29 of 30, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GXL750 wrote:

I've heard of Xeons on the 875P but Core 2 Duo on an 865 sounds plain silly. I wonder how the same Core 2 Duo would compare when installed in a proper motherboard with DDR2 and PCI-E video and a chipset meant for the chip... Still, I'll bet it was a pretty easily affordable way into dual core computing at the time.

I bought it recently, as a ridiculously over-the-top AGP playground. But yeah the board was originally meant as a transitional product for people with AGP cards and DDR1. Asrock specialized in weird transitional boards for years.

Reply 30 of 30, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow! This orgy started slow but it's really rockin' now! 🤣
Ron-Jeremy-Oscar-453.jpg

Tetrium wrote:

The Preshot is faster clock for clock then the Northwood? I thought it was the other way around 🤣.

Theoretically, since the Northwood has 20 pipelines as opposed to 31 for Prescott, it should be faster clock-for-clock than Prescott. But my 2 systems are vastly different- one is a 533mhz Northwood B and the other is an 800mhz Prescott. It's probably the faster fsb and dual channel ram of the Pressie that's given it such an edge here. I'd wager that if the Northwood was a 'C' model with an 800mhz fsb and on a dual channel board, they'd be pretty much even.

Tetrium wrote:

I'd like to build myself a Willamette rig also but no luck finding such a board locally. Course I could go the easy way and use a s478 Willamette instead 😜

I could do that also. 😉 But it's cheating...hahah. Willamette has to be in s423, it's in the guidebook for crazy ol' retro rig building.

I was originally supposed to build 2 more netburst rigs, a s423 and a Pentium D. Well, I kinda got derailed and changed my mind in the end. I have all the stuff for the Pentium D, but decided to scrap that and concentrate on rebuilding my Core 2 rig into something pretty monstrous and as for the Willamette, I'm thinking 2 netburst rigs is enough. Maybe I should reserve my very limited space for a Socket A build. Never had one of those ever, and it's a gap in my collection, since I have K6, K8 and K10 rigs.

Tetrium wrote:
And anyway, I've managed to identify the Intel board I have (sorry for hijacking this thread again, hope you don't mind too much […]
Show full quote

And anyway, I've managed to identify the Intel board I have (sorry for hijacking this thread again, hope you don't mind too much sgt76), it's an Intel D865GLC. It's already on my testbench (thanks to your thread sparking my netburst interest 😜) and right now I'm contemplating what to mix it with.

What I do like about netburst boards is they often have lots of memory slots.
I also found a couple SDRAM boards which I believe only support the slowest 400Mhz FSB CPU's (so no support for the 533's and 800's) which is a shame really.
I know SDRAM and netburst is a bad mix, but as I have the stuff laying around and plenty of SDRAM, I might as well try out SDRAM+netburst as well 😜

You can hijack my thread anytime bro. Intel boards are real solid, and since you already have a 3.2ghz chip, it's not gonna go much faster (maybe 3.4-3.6 at most) so there's really no point to overclocking it.

Also, with SDram you'll see something of a 10-20% hit in performance, depending on the application/ benchmark. Nothing you can feel though.

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Is the Intel 875P the top chipset for these CPUs? AFAIK it has PAT technology which boosted performance compared to the cheaper 865 chipset.

865s have the PAT hacked in, like on my DFI board. Was added later- but an 875 board as correctly pointed out is the penultimate in P4 powah and of course they'd be more solid (generally) speaking than most 865 boards. It's kinda like comparing a 790i with a P43 or something in modern analogy.

swaaye wrote:
I bought an Asrock 775i65G and a C2D X6800 for it. lol. Regardless of their claims of support for 1066 CPUs, this board has to […]
Show full quote

I bought an Asrock 775i65G and a C2D X6800 for it. 🤣. Regardless of their claims of support for 1066 CPUs, this board has to warm up for a bit before it's stable at 266/1066. It won't even get past post initially. At 200-250MHz it is fine though.

Also, they lock the DRAM:FSB ratio to the 133mhz setting with 1066 CPUs, meaning that at lower FSB settings the DDR400 is hideously underclocked. This is annoying because I bought the X6800 for more flexibility from it's unlocked multi, such as running 3GHz on 800 FSB. The BIOS even lacks multiplier adjustment so you have to do that within the OS.

I think the best CPU for this board is probably the 800MHz 2.6GHz E4700.

/end of crazy self centered tangent!

I had the same board, in 2008! Also bought for crazy AGP experiments. I wasn't too confident in it's abilities to run at 266, so I got an E2180 CPU for it. Never was really too happy with it (cause I like to overclock things and that's where it's abilities are, ummm somewhat limited) so in the end I sold it to my wife's brother. It's still chugging along happily after almost 4 years with ZERO maintenance (not even a spring cleaning), so if anything it's a tough ol' thing, I'll give it that! Guess that answers if Asrock boards are quality stuff.