VOGONS

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For me this was the action game of Christmas 1994. It was also the Crysis/Quake/Unreal of the year.

I initially had a 486 50 with a ISA Trident 8900C but Wing3 had me on the upgrade path quick. 20fps in 320x200 and several minute loading times do that to me. I went to a new VLB mobo, AMD DX4 120 and got a VLB CL 5426 video card for that. Huge speed boost. Eventually I picked up a second hand Hercules Dynamite Power VLB with the ET4000/W32p and 2mb. Rockin.

The included benchmark almost cost me more time than playing the game. Tweaking mode engaged. 😉 They also threw in one of those semi technical readmes and there's a big list of all of beta tester systems including bleeding edge P60s.

What machine did you run the game on?

Reply 1 of 6, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunately, I can't answer your last question, but I have some questions for you. Did you raise the bus speed on your new mobo to 50? If you did, how did your system (video cards, and also IO card) cope? Also, did you have a write-through or write-back CPU?

Reply 2 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No I never had luck with 50 MHz on any 486 board that I've had. I used 40 MHz FSB.

The VLB board that I upgraded to back then was a MTI R407e. It was cheap but worked well enough. It didn't officially support write back L1 caching so it had the floppy drive issue when I used write back with the AMD 5x86 that I got later. But aside from the floppy malfunction it worked adequately stable with write back.

Reply 3 of 6, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I loved Wing Commander 3, however originally how I played and beat it was on 3DO, which at the time, was stated to provide the superior experience of the game. Maniac was such a dick.

Reply 4 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 3DO version has more and better quality video but the gameplay is much lower resolution than PC SVGA.

I picked up a 3DO early this year, mostly to play Super Wing Commander. But the gamepad with its 3 buttons drives me insane with the impossible to remember button combos. 😀

Reply 5 of 6, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I still play Wing Commander III once in a while nowadays. I play it in my P133 machine. It has the S3 Virge DX in it. Most of the time though, I just look in wonder the tech advancements this game achieved those days, the dream game Chris Roberts had in mind when designing this, rather than actually playing it. But when started to engage in the dogfights, it just pulls me in to continue with the story and looking forward to the next dogfight.

I still remember Chris Roberts notes in the Wing Commander II manual, mentioning how he predicts the CD-ROM will be the medium of games in the future and it's capabilities. He really made it true with not one but 4 CD-ROMs in his next game, Wing Commander III : Heart of the Tiger.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 6 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I hear you. I followed Chris Roberts' crazy ambitions closely back then too. I liked WC3 a lot. It was a technological marvel and was an improvement over WC2 in every way IMO.

On the other hand, WC4 was too much movie and very little gameplay improvement. I think he lost sight of interactive storytelling like so many other people did in the FMV craze days.