VOGONS

First post, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reading the P/N it started life as a Compaq Evo D51s P4 2.53 with 128MB RAM 20GB HDD

It came from a client for the IT Company I worked for who had around 40 PC's.
I believe in 2006 all PC's were upgraded to have at least 256MB RAM by 2008 I was responsible for the upgrade policy and decided to replace anything below a 3GHZ (more to standardize hardware then anything else) this left about 6 PC's that didn't make the cut.
I was after a basic internet PC so grabbed 2 similar machines, the other I'd use to test stuff without breaking my 'live' PC.
I upgraded the RAM in both to 768MB with spare stuff lying around, the main PC also got an 80GB HDD shoved in where the PCI cards would sit & a wireless card & does its job just fine to this day & was happy enough to make do for games.

But thanks to vogons I re caught the bug recently so the test box which has been abused all these years with windows getting more and more unstable is about to be rewarded with better hardware.

The Evo 51s is the small form factor brother of the Evo D510, a good honest workhorse. Say what you like about HP, Dell, etc but the business ranges are pretty rock solid so make a good base so I'll be keeping the motherboard, A Compaq board based on the 845G chipset (nothing else would fit anyway)

CPU: is a P4 Northwood 2.53Ghz. Should run any Win9x game quite nice, it can stay

RAM: 768MB, People say Win9x doesn't like more then 512 but I've never had a problem, maybe it's a bit slower addressing everything but I haven't noticed so it can stay, more for Win2k which is also loaded.

Video: Onboard Intel 845, It can handle most my favourite games RTS's, NFS 3-5, Diablo's, GTA3 ok, I can upgrade using the 4x AGP but is the annoying low profile style so wont bother upgrading besides I have.

Video2: Diamond Monster 3D II 12MB Voodoo 2, Most my games support this natively so that's what they use. Voodoo's are meant to run too hot in P4’s I kept checking and it was never too hot to touch, its in direct airflow of the CPU's Fan (be it the warmer air from the CPU) I also attached 2 fans to the card with cable ties just in case.

Sound1: Onboard AC97 ADI Soundmax nothing to brag about but means I can use the front headphone portsd

Sound2: Sound Blaster 2 ZS, sounds beautiful compared to the onboard, pretty gold connectors, this is connected to the speakers when I'm not asked to be quiet. It may be the speakers but this sounds much better then the SB Live Value I had 10 years ago?

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST32001A 20 GB, just what came with the PC, does the job so can stay.

Also has a FDD (one of the reasons I got these in the 1st place) DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive as the other PC is always full of crap & onboard network so I don't need to use floppy & CD's

I also got a Logitech Wingman Formula Force steering wheel. I have one in Australia & loved it. I used to race Dad in NFS3 so much he got the Formula Force GP a few years later, which just felt cheap compared to the non gear driven "old red" so got myself another!

OS's
Win98SE: lives on C:\ which is a 2GB fat32 partition, no updates, nothing stripped (just the options in setup cleared) also has DirectX again just the final official supported by MS (Dec 06) Winamp, WinRar, Daemon Tools & that's it. Windows is stable & even shuts down correctly! But can't restart so have to have to do a full shutdown each time, pain when I want to go into 2k. Also the onboard sound drivers blue screened windows when installing, hung on reboot, then worked fine since. This leaves 1.40GB free for windows to play with, an emergency or anything I find that NEEDs to be on c:\

Win2k: Lives on E:\ which is a 8GB NTFS partition, SP4 & rollups. Mainly used for burning CD's so I wanted the extra stability of NT but not the large footprint of XP also has Office 03, Cooledit & various burning software.

The other 8GB is on D:\ which is where games and general data are kept.

Things I don't like/would change with this setup

The fact it's a Small Form factor. This is a double edge sword. At the moment it really needs to be SFF, I tend to move a lot & rent small rooms so need the space. Long term in a more permanent setup I'd want something with a bit more room to fit things like the front 5 1/4 panel of the Audigy & a decent D3D AGP non low profile card

I need another PCI slot. I have another identical Voodoo2 just waiting to go into SLI, but most games I run at 800x600 on my 15" screen so not a big deal, but there are other SFF PC's with the 3rd slot

No DOS support as yet, I may look into getting the Audigy working in DOS but the AC97.

Below shows the lack of space, the darker card is the SoundBlaster and you can see 3 memory chips from the Voodoo2 underneath. Lucky the underside has all the chips so in the limited space below 2 fans are cabled tied to the Voodoo, the CPU fan is directly in front (under the HDD) & Power supply fan also gives a bit of extra air flow

jcpc2.th.jpg
My other PC has a HDD sitting here!

Reply 1 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why do you use a voodoo2 in a p4 system that's just asking for trouble even if you do cool it well 🙁

Also, the Intel onboard video might have problems with older games. I know they freeze in any "Klik" thing!

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 13, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In a Pentium 4 Northwood system a GeForce 2 or 3 would probably be a better choice. Voodoo 2 is known for scaling with the CPU and with a really fast CPU pushing data to it it is going to run faster than it was ever designed to which might cause problems. I wouldn't put a single V2 with anything faster than 1ghz and a pair in SLi with anything faster than 1.5ghz. and those speeds are probably even pushing it.

Reply 4 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd like to give a technical reason but I cant, its simply cause I cant wait to play with my new toys!

Once I move back home I plan to build my long term Win9x rig with around my Asus P2Z-B Slot 1 board last I remember it had a P2 350 or 450 but want to get a Slot 1 (I just like `em) P3. That's the system the 2nd Voodoo2 is waiting to go into joining his brother in a SLI setup.

Till then I'm "making do" with the P4

Reply 5 of 13, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

No DOS support as yet, I may look into getting the Audigy working in DOS but the AC97.

I don't know if the Evo D50S has the same(or a similar) motherboard as my Compaq Evo(I don't even know what model it is, but it is a Small Form Factor computer like yours), but if you have a Yamaha YMF724-based sound card laying around, you can actually use it under Windows 98(I would not use a SoundBlaster Audigy, especially not if it uses the same software-emulated OPL3 of the SoundBlaster Live! as that sounds like absolute crap). I did have issues, however:

-Star Wars TIE Fighter's iMuse program crashes whenever using General MIDI music, be it the on-board XG synth or an external MIDI box
-Duke Nukem 3D and its setup program crash the entire computer when setting up digital audio(you have to shut off the computer by holding the power button at the front of the computer)

I still have to test more games, but the 3 games I've installed all work to a certain extent. Star Wars X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM Edition works perfectly, Star Wars TIE Fighter works so long as you don't use General MIDI and Duke Nukem 3D will work if you don't select a sound card for digital audio in the setup program. Since you're dual-booting Windows 98 SE and Windows 2000 much like myself on my Compaq Evo, I suggest trying to run as many DOS games as possible under Windows 98 to see which ones work and which ones don't. If the games fail to work under Windows 98, install DOSBox on Windows 2000 and run those games which don't work in Windows 98 there(if a game has no General MIDI soundtrack, I'd advise against running it in DOSBox under Windows 2000 due to the flawed emulation of the YMF262. Yamaha's PCI sound cards have true OPL3 and are my PCI sound cards of choice if a computer lacks ISA slots).

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 6 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not a big fan of the 2 soundcards sharing an IRQ but windows seems happy enough & if it aint broke...
I only use the onboard sound when I want to use the front ports for headphones so it's rearly used, otherwise I probably would mess round a bit more.
I've got my 486 almost built for dos gaming, getting this PC working in dos was more just cause I could I doubt I'd ever really use it!

Reply 8 of 13, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd take a Yamaha PCI card over the ALS4000. For some reason, everything except OPL3 on the ALS4000 comes out at a lower sound pitch than it should. I have no idea why, but both my ALS4000s do this.

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 9 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good to know as 1 day I may need proper dos sound on PCI but usally I have a PC lying around with at least 1 ISA slot.
PS leileilol like ya christmis pic