VOGONS

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just finished a more "proper" dos box,

1. DTK motherboard with pentium 233 MMX. A little fast for DOS, but more appropriate than the p3 I was using.

2. Seagate ST-6422A drive (6.4 gig). A little big for DOS, but the old 400-Mb conner I was using was too small (and noisy)

3. 64 Gb SDRAM

4.Trident PCi video card

5. A sound blaster vibra 16 ISA card

6. A VERY old AT case - says QMICRO on it - I have a feeling this case dates back to the 486 era.

What do you think? Any comments? 😀

Reply 1 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pics of the case! 😁

Anyway, it seems like a well balanced mmx rig 😉
But why did you use the trident PCI graphics card? A Virge would be better I presume

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 19, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, the trident was what I had (shrug).
Same for the sound card - I would have preferred one of the earlier sound blasters (where you actually set jumpers on the card to determine the settings).....

Reply 3 of 19, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, pics please. 😁

Please wait while your system is being scanned..... ... ........ .. . . . . Done!

- CPU is nice even for the last batch of DOS games (except maybe resource intensive flight sims and driving sims at high-res).
- RAM is in the "very comfortable" region.
- I prefer the S3 Virge or a Trio64V+ PCI card
- I would prefer to have an AWE32 or AWE64 in that system. But SB16 should be ok.

Analysis complete. 😁

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 4 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like big hard drives, you can no-cd your games and save wear and tear on your drive and more important the actual CD's!

Reply 5 of 19, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> But why did you use the trident PCI graphics card? A Virge would be better I presume

Why do old PCs always have to be better/best/fastest here, and not what they actually were?

1+1=10

Reply 7 of 19, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found this picture on the internet
http://www.frontier-electronics.co.za/images/old_386dx66.jpg
The case I have is almost indentical; clearly the same manufacturer

This is the board that is in it:
http://www.sk.rs/1998/04/sktd05.html

Ironically, I've had that computer a long time, but it never saw much use. I quickly moved on to a p3//500, and this one just sat there.

Reply 10 of 19, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep, nice case! And my favourite Turbo button and the LED are there too! 😀

And about the HDD size, for pure (Dos 6+FAT16) DOS, any HDD size upto 8GB is fine. I usually allot the frst 8GB fot DOS in a multi-OS HDD.

Reply 11 of 19, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am not sure I agree on the hard drive - anything over 2-gig and you have to start partitioning, which I don't really like. But it's okay.

Like the motherboard, the hard drive never really saw much use either. It very quickly became too small for wn85/98, and has been sitting around for a long time.

One thing is true about those old cases - you don't have vibrating or rattling panels!

Reply 12 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ncmark wrote:

Yeah, those old cases were built like tanks 😁

I once found an AT case made entirely out of plastic. Wish I'd kept it.

Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 19, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, 8GB is the max (assuming the IDE controller supporting it) you can go for with Dos6+ in the FAT16 partition.

I always have these partitioned to 2GB+2+GB... The first I label the volume as MS-DOS_622, which contains all the operating system files, loaded drivers' directories, installed dos and win3.x applications,etc.

The next, I label as FILES where I put all the installation files for applications of both Dos and Windows 3.x. The next partition, I label the volume as GAMES, where I install the games to, and another partition labeled MIDI or sometimes MUSIC for music stuff. The final partition I usually reserve as BACKUP or SIERRA.

Reply 14 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

Yeah, 8GB is the max (assuming the IDE controller supporting it) you can go for with Dos6+ in the FAT16 partition.

I always have these partitioned to 2GB+2+GB... The first I label the volume as MS-DOS_622, which contains all the operating system files, loaded drivers' directories, installed dos and win3.x applications,etc.

The next, I label as FILES where I put all the installation files for applications of both Dos and Windows 3.x. The next partition, I label the volume as GAMES, where I install the games to, and another partition labeled MIDI or sometimes MUSIC for music stuff. The final partition I usually reserve as BACKUP or SIERRA.

That's kinda exactly how I partition my drives! 😳
Partition 1 is always just the OS (+ whatever junk I put on the desktop 😜 )
Partition 2 is just programs
Partition 3 is games
Partition 4 is data, where I also put all my downloaded stuff
And depending on the size of the harddrive I use fewer partitions

Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 19, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well I haven't put win 3.1 on it (yet) - if I do it will likely be on another partition

I used to have a conner 1275 Mb drive that was in a 486 box, and that was about right for DOS, but it eventually died.
(The seagate is a LOT faster anyway) 😁

Reply 17 of 19, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sebaz_ri wrote:
ncmark wrote:

64 Gb SDRAM

Whew! 64gb of SDRAM, i never knew they existed, wish i had one for my P-III 1Ghz

Dang, you beat me to the punch! 🤣

Reply 18 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sebaz_ri wrote:
ncmark wrote:

64 Gb SDRAM

Whew! 64gb of SDRAM, i never knew they existed, wish i had one for my P-III 1Ghz

Gotta have it for those 1999 Krystal engine dos games like shoot alien 3

apsosig.png
long live PCem